Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I posted this in the right area but has anyone ever had to replace the rubber gasket seal around the front edge of the engine bay? Somehow mine got fried and started ripping off. I ended up just tearing off the large part that was dangling and leaving the other half of it in place with the intention of trying to replace it. Is there a part number for this piece, let alone a guide on how to replace it? For reference I have a 2016 SXT+.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Not still under warranty?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still under warranty actually but I'm not entirely sure if it would be something that's covered.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You can order the seal and the plastic rivets from the dealer. You will need a rivet gun that is made for plastic rivets.

You won't now if it's covered unless you ask. I can guarantee that it won't be covered if you don't ask.

Once you have the parts and the tool it's simple. Cut off the old rivet heads, I normally do this with a sharp putty knife and a hammer, push out anything that's left in the hole, install seal and new rivets. You don't need much force to cut the rivet heads off.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can order the seal and the plastic rivets from the dealer. You will need a rivet gun that is made for plastic rivets.

You won't now if it's covered unless you ask. I can guarantee that it won't be covered if you don't ask.

Once you have the parts and the tool it's simple. Cut off the old rivet heads, I normally do this with a sharp putty knife and a hammer, push out anything that's left in the hole, install seal and new rivets. You don't need much force to cut the rivet heads off.
Very true, thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
274 Posts
When I had my 2009 Challenger I had that seal replaced under warranty. As long as you are still under the 3 years/36000 miles it should be covered in full.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Same thing happened to me. There is a defect on these, plus my hood came with a massive gap in ther front where thre seal is so the sun dried it up and it ripped off. replaced uder warranty, that stupid rubber is $50

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
My seal on the 15 SRT was covered under warranty. As was stated, known issue.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My seal on the 15 SRT was covered under warranty. As was stated, known issue.
I have had mine replaced 3 times, once on my 12 SXT and twice on my 15 RT, and they are covered under the bumper to bumper warranty unless its expired.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I use interior detailer on mine and it still looks new. If mine fails I will probably just remove it and be done with it.

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
I don't think it's really needed.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mine came off just at the beginning of a 1000+ mile road trip. Just a strip of it whipping around from under the hood. I haven't replaced it yet, but I do notice a lot more road dirt in the engine compartment without it. I've seen it on ebay for less than 30 bucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts