Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving home on the freeway yesterday, about 80mph, heard a clacking sound. Didn't stop as I turned down the music to try to identify it. Before I knew it, something blew, smoke under the car, engine shut off, no dashboard warnings. This morning while inspecting, it looks like something blew a hole on both sides of my engine block. See attached pictures, hole is similar in size.

Time for a new engine?! What do you all recommend? I had a stock 2009 6.1L engine, create replacement is $10K. Should I upgrade, replace, fix?

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
687 Posts
Should I upgrade, replace, fix?
Fixing isn?t really going to be an option if there is a hole in the block. Probably the cheapest option is another engine out of a salvage yard.

I think I?d lean toward upgrading while I was at it since the 6.1 engine is probably harder to find and salvage yard engines can be quite sketchy...

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I would look at doing a hellcat shortblock they are very reasonable. Just verify your heads and all the pumps will bolt back up in the same location
They come with forged rods pistons and crank and is really the best bang for the buck. IF EVERYTHING BOLTS UP

Trying to find a 6.1 block is tuff and a 392 block all the pumps and pulleys are in a different spot and causes lots of fitment issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles were on the motor?
130,000 miles.. I got the car with 9 miles on it.. Its been a faithful one. Other than a dead battery once, zero issues until now.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I would say a rod let go by the pics

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IF EVERYTHING BOLTS UP
If everything bolts up is the scary part. I am considering all options, I dont mind if it takes me a year to rebuild but I want to do it all myself and I want to make sure its done correctly.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Ya good luck finding a 6.1 short block

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
687 Posts
Definitely pull the heads before you decide what to do. There may be head and/or valve dammage if a rod let go while driving.

If that is the case, you?ll need more than a shortblock.

I googled the Hellcat shortblocks and found some for about the same price as this 6.1.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Plan on loosing your core charge if u go the hhp route. You won’t get anything for a block with holes in it

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
I would look at doing a hellcat shortblock they are very reasonable. Just verify your heads and all the pumps will bolt back up in the same location
They come with forged rods pistons and crank and is really the best bang for the buck. IF EVERYTHING BOLTS UP

Trying to find a 6.1 block is tuff and a 392 block all the pumps and pulleys are in a different spot and causes lots of fitment issues

sorry, HC short block are no longer available, discontinued, long block only and on restriction

Luke

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
6.1 are only available as a long block and currently on back order, we have multiple on back order since July, would not hold my breath, we have several complete crate motor 6.4, however there are issues in retrofitting, primarily the tone ring, not easy swap
Luke

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
The ac/powersteering is a disaster on that as well. I have a friend with a srt magnum that did a built 392 that was supposed to BOLT IN no issues. Lol ya not even close.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
The ac/powersteering is a disaster on that as well. I have a friend with a srt magnum that did a built 392 that was supposed to BOLT IN no issues. Lol ya not even close.

correct, nothing in the front of the engine will fit and the 6.1 timing cover will not fit on the 6.4 block
Luke

1 - 17 of 17 Posts