Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years we've owned four R/Ts. '06 Charger, '10 Challenger, '15 Challenger and '16 Charger. One thing I've noticed w/regard to my SRT is the "ticking" as the engine is cooling down when shut off. Never noticed it on the cars noted above. Is the block and/or heads a different material (aluminum?) on the 392?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Your RT has cast iron exhaust manifolds. The SRT uses a shorty header with integral heat shields. Hence the ticking, personally I like it.

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
Its the stainless "clamshells" around the SRT shorty headers - that metal expands / contracts with temperatures...when you shut down everything starts cooling down.

My 5.7 with its cast iron manifolds would make a loud pop after some time in the garage as things were cooling off.

There's a lot of heat shielding around the exhaust as well as the actual pipes - the cats make similar ticking sounds as they cool down.

You'd be surprised how much an exhaust system "grows" in length as it heats up to operating temperature. When the system is being designed, there's some compensation to allow for the lengthening of the exhaust to insure there's adequate clearance and the hangers are spaced to allow for that...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Hal H
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing