Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a CAI and canned 93 octane tune along with flowmaster exhaust on my 2014 rt 5.7 auto and now sometimes if I need to put the pedal down aggressively my engines seems to bog or sputter ... I'm not sure how to describe it... it feels like the engine dies for a split second, nothing happens and then its fine and moves its _ _ _. Any ideas on what might be going would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,643 Posts
Have you tried putting the stock air tube and intake back on to see if that's the cause?

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,994 Posts
Hi All,

I have a CAI and canned 93 octane tune along with flowmaster exhaust on my 2014 rt 5.7 auto and now sometimes if I need to put the pedal down aggressively my engines seems to bog or sputter ... I'm not sure how to describe it... it feels like the engine dies for a split second, nothing happens and then its fine and moves its _ _ _. Any ideas on what might be going would be appreciated.

What A Guy said.

I have a couple of thoughts to add...

If the behavior appeared out of the blue the last thing touched is the first thing to suspect. This could be the CAI. Or the exhaust or the tune. Or the gasoline.

Are you sure the CAI is delivering "cold" air to the engine? To be sure you probably need to monitor the engine air intake temperature. I"ve done this -- with other cars but the same technique should work for your car -- using an OBD2 code reader/data viewer/data logger to view engine telemetry in real time.

That 93 octane tune requires good 93 octane gasoline. Premium gasoline can go off. To avoid buying stale gasoline it is important to shop/buy gasoline from a busy station. There is a possibility that 93 octane gasoline is stale as the demand for it may not be that high. At the station you shop at you might check with the station management to learn how often the station gets its storage tanks refilled. Or keep an eye out for the tanker delivering truck and ask the driver how often he visits the station to refill the tanks.

If the behavior appeared out of the blue you may have gotten a "bad" tank of fuel. If you have other sources of 93 octane gasoline you may want to switch brands or at least buy from a busier station.

Remember a tune extract a penalty on engine consumables. I'm referring mainly to spark plugs in this context. Even if the engine is not misfiring the plugs may be past their replacement time. Along with the plugs consider the engine air intake filter and the fuel filter. A tune may not mean you have replace the air filter and fuel filter more often but it can mean you can't let them go past their replacement schedule.

If you replace the plugs be sure to use the right plugs -- maybe the tune maker has a recommendation? -- and be sure the plugs are all correctly gapped.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried putting the stock air tube and intake back on to see if that's the cause?

A Guy

Nah... looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend.... I have it up in the attic... I have to look at it tho because if memory serves I was thinking I would not need it and I think I might have dremelled on it a bit for some reason which I cannot remember.. :surprise:Thanks Guy, its a good idea!

Mory

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I've never been a fan of canned tunes. I would spend the money and get a good custom dyno tune. Nothing like real time adjustments.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never been a fan of canned tunes. I would spend the money and get a good custom dyno tune. Nothing like real time adjustments.

I would but in south texas (where I am for the time being) I don't know of any shops that do this type of thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What A Guy said.

I have a couple of thoughts to add...

If the behavior appeared out of the blue the last thing touched is the first thing to suspect. This could be the CAI. Or the exhaust or the tune. Or the gasoline.

Are you sure the CAI is delivering "cold" air to the engine? To be sure you probably need to monitor the engine air intake temperature. I"ve done this -- with other cars but the same technique should work for your car -- using an OBD2 code reader/data viewer/data logger to view engine telemetry in real time.

That 93 octane tune requires good 93 octane gasoline. Premium gasoline can go off. To avoid buying stale gasoline it is important to shop/buy gasoline from a busy station. There is a possibility that 93 octane gasoline is stale as the demand for it may not be that high. At the station you shop at you might check with the station management to learn how often the station gets its storage tanks refilled. Or keep an eye out for the tanker delivering truck and ask the driver how often he visits the station to refill the tanks.

If the behavior appeared out of the blue you may have gotten a "bad" tank of fuel. If you have other sources of 93 octane gasoline you may want to switch brands or at least buy from a busier station.

Remember a tune extract a penalty on engine consumables. I'm referring mainly to spark plugs in this context. Even if the engine is not misfiring the plugs may be past their replacement time. Along with the plugs consider the engine air intake filter and the fuel filter. A tune may not mean you have replace the air filter and fuel filter more often but it can mean you can't let them go past their replacement schedule.

If you replace the plugs be sure to use the right plugs -- maybe the tune maker has a recommendation? -- and be sure the plugs are all correctly gapped.

Yeah... maybe I should install the other, lower octane tune that the thing has and see if that helps....

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Also, the 5.7 has old school copper spark plugs with relatively short change intervals because they go bad quick. May want to check and change the spark plugs. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, the 5.7 has old school copper spark plugs with relatively short change intervals because they go bad quick. May want to check and change the spark plugs. Good luck.

Are you serious? Wow, I didn't know that. So mine is a 2014. Only has 11000 miles as it spends most of its life in my garage. Maybe they have build up on the plugs due to low miles and not being driven on a daily basis. Are they a pain to change?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts