Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have researched on this site and can not find any post with this issue that I'm having.

I have a 2012 SRT8 Yellow Jacket with 34,000 miles. I noticed about 10,000 mile ago a noise. I know that these transmission make noise in neutral when warmed up. However I'm hearing and feeling something different. Sitting at a light with radio off and windows up there is a slight vibration that happens on and off. This happens with the clutch is engaged and disengaged. When I open the hood and lean in near the motor I can hear it and feel it leaning against the front fender. This is a weird noise and vibration that comes and goes. Noise and vibration for 3 seconds then off for 3 to 6 seconds then back again.

I think it is more than just the nature of the high performance transmission noise that Dodge says is normal.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? Throwout bearing, Pilot bearing, Clutch or maybe something with the Motor.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I have researched on this site and can not find any post with this issue that I'm having.

I have a 2012 SRT8 Yellow Jacket with 34,000 miles. I noticed about 10,000 mile ago a noise. I know that these transmission make noise in neutral when warmed up. However I'm hearing and feeling something different. Sitting at a light with radio off and windows up there is a slight vibration that happens on and off. This happens with the clutch is engaged and disengaged. When I open the hood and lean in near the motor I can hear it and feel it leaning against the front fender. This is a weird noise and vibration that comes and goes. Noise and vibration for 3 seconds then off for 3 to 6 seconds then back again.

I think it is more than just the nature of the high performance transmission noise that Dodge says is normal.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? Throwout bearing, Pilot bearing, Clutch or maybe something with the Motor.
Hard to believe if it was a bad throw out bearing or pilot bearing that either one would not have gotten to the point you'd know what it was after 10K miles.

If pushing on the clutch doesn't affect the noise/vibration you can probably (probably...) eliminate throw out bearing or pilot bearing, as a source of the noise/vibration.

Can you affect the noise/vibration by pressing or releasing the brake pedal?

Turning the steering wheel?

Is the power steering fluid level ok?

Is the A/C compressor on? Does turning this on or off affect the noise/vibration?

Is the noise/vibration affected by turning off the cabin vent fan? Speeding it up? Slowing it down?

Battery voltage ok? Does the battery voltage change in sync with the noise and vibration?

Does the radiator fan running have any effect on the noise/vibration?

In some cases if the noise is present at cold engine start one can remove the accessory drive belt and start and run the cold engine a while just long enough to confirm if the noise is present with the belt removed and none of the accessory drives being spun.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I suspect it's the A/C compressor cycling. My clutch seems to make a racket when it happens, especially when the clutch is out and in neutral.

·
Super Moderator
15,095 Posts
could be idler gear rattle -especially when warmed up. pushing in clutch will usually make it stop

your description sounds like a/c compressor cycling on/off.

with your '12 - shut off the HVAC system altogether - it will probably stop.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you affect the noise/vibration by pressing or releasing the brake pedal? NO

Turning the steering wheel? NO

Is the power steering fluid level ok? YES

Is the A/C compressor on? Does turning this on or off affect the noise/vibration? NO

Is the noise/vibration affected by turning off the cabin vent fan? Speeding it up? Slowing it down? NO

Battery voltage ok? Does the battery voltage change in sync with the noise and vibration? Voltage does not fluctuate

Does the radiator fan running have any effect on the noise/vibration? NO

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could be idler gear rattle -especially when warmed up. pushing in clutch will usually make it stop

your description sounds like a/c compressor cycling on/off.

with your '12 - shut off the HVAC system altogether - it will probably stop.
I had it shut off. It is not coming from the front of the motor. You can here it more in the back of the motor.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suspect it's the A/C compressor cycling. My clutch seems to make a racket when it happens, especially when the clutch is out and in neutral.
I had the HVAC system shut off.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,802 Posts
Some noise from the manual trans when in neutral is normal...here is what the service manual says (it is for a 2015 but still a good guide).

BTW there was also a TSB regarding noise from the shifter assembly...most likely not you problem but good to know.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
You need a young priest and an old priest.

Or you need to get the car to a shop with good Dodge experience and training and have a professional tech give a listen and offer his opinion.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,802 Posts
You need a young priest and an old priest.

Or you need to get the car to a shop with good Dodge experience and training and have a professional tech give a listen and offer his opinion.
LOL I guess going with either will result in someone getting bent over and it is usually the owner.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL I guess going with either will result in someone getting bent over and it is usually the owner.
Nope, they can tell me what is wrong with it and I have a lift at home to do the work. I do all my own work, just this noise has me stumped. I also do motorcycle repair out of my garage.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,802 Posts
Nope, they can tell me what is wrong with it and I have a lift at home to do the work. I do all my own work, just this noise has me stumped. I also do motorcycle repair out of my garage.
Same here but no lift though...1' wheel cribs...1" foam mat...and a boat buoy I use as a pillow.:grin2:

Around my parts you have a better chance finding an honest politician as opposed to a reputable auto shop. I don't even trust shops for diagnosing.

Don't mean to hijack the thread with my ramblings...but my most recent experience with a shop (trans shop) was with my 2001 infiniti. Condensed long story:

- sold the car to wife's cousin dirt cheap.
- year later, trans went out (broken reverse snap ring) and they had it replaced.
- after install, car would not start, shop blamed it on remote start I installed.
- I argued and said it must be park/neutral switch (found a thread on the nissan forum suggesting it). Even told shop how to bypass.
- shop had car for 2 weeks, dismantled remote start and still could not get it started.
- car was towed to infiniti dealer who had it for 1 week, veteran tech finally came back from vacation and spotted problem immediately.
- problem was the wiring to park/neutral switch was pinched (apparently common problem related to trans install).

·
Banned
2001 Land Rover
2 Posts
It is normal to hear some noise when in neutral. I had the same problem with my old car. I have asked a lot of people, and everyone said that it's fine and I don't have what to worry about.I don't have this car anymore, I sold it because it had some problems with the battery. I had to jump start it once, because the battery was dead. I have found an article on OtO PartShop – A variety of different car body parts and add-on components for each vehicle. Wide range of spare parts and car accessories. and sold the car. As far as I am concerned, the buyer is pretty satisfied with the car.

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
It is normal to hear some noise when in neutral. I had the same problem with my old car. I have asked a lot of people, and everyone said that it's fine and I don't have what to worry about.
Hi bestdriver, If you are not able to remedy this concern with the advice provided here, I kindly recommend connecting with your local Dodge dealer. If you are in need of any assistance with that process, our team is available via private message.
Rob
DodgeCares

1 - 15 of 15 Posts