Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 wbsp that has 1600 miles on it. On the interstate the car started overheating and I pulled over and shut it down. No mods have been down, everything is stock. I pulled the codes when I got it home and will get it to the dealership for warranty. Here are the codes I got; p0197 p0339 p0117 p0113 anyone have an idea of what would have triggered all four at once on a new car?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,477 Posts
I have a 2020 wbsp that has 1600 miles on it. On the interstate the car started overheating and I pulled over and shut it down. No mods have been down, everything is stock. I pulled the codes when I got it home and will get it to the dealership for warranty. Here are the codes I got; p0197 p0339 p0117 p0113 anyone have an idea of what would have triggered all four at once on a new car?
I was going to say it’s probably a wiring problem, but half of those are on the top of the engine wiring harness and the other half are on the bottom. I guess it still could be a wiring problem, further back where they all run alongside each other…

But I’m also thinking it could be a PCM problem. That’s much more rare than most people think, but not impossible.

Of course it could also be as simple as a low voltage problem. If the alternator or battery are bad (or failing), or there is a bad connection somewhere in the main power or ground wires, this could be the result.

Definitely take in for the warranty coverage to kick in and cover the cost of diagnosing this. And say a prayer for the poor tech they saddle with figuring it out, cause he could have a really bad day at work the day he’s assigned to figure this one out…

Reactions: toneyg73

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,230 Posts
P0197: Set when the PCM detects a low engine oil temperature sensor signal. This usually indicates the circuit is shorted.

P0339: Crankshaft Position Sensor Intermittent

P0117: Indicates a low voltage input from the Coolant Temperature Circuit to the PCM.

P0113: IAT sensor high input.

Lets see.. Possible signal shorted. Intermittent signal. Low voltage. High Input.

Any chance the car has been visited by say mice?

Absent rodent damage a bad battery or possibly a bad alternator which can't supply the electrical needs of the car are possible explanations.

Bad wiring harness or even a bad PCM are also possible explanations.

Time to get the car in and have this looked into.

Have to bring this up as electrical problems -- arising from a bad wiring harness -- can be a real pain in the you know what for a dealer to address correctly. No exposure to this with Dodge vehicles but I have been in the service area of other dealers and spotted vehicles in for "wiring" issues and the cabin is gutted right down the painted metal. Seats, carpets, door panels, dash, head liner, everything is out as almost always the wiring harness is installed before anything else. To remove everything and then address the bad harness and put the car back together is a real expensive repair.

So my advice to you is familiarize yourself with the lemon law in your state and begin to make a case just in case. Better to have this and not need it than to need it and not have it. And trying to make a case after possibly weeks or more of the dealer sending you back out with the car not right and keeping the car a long time, etc., is a lot of work.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
As mentioned you are looking for a common. Rodent damage, water intrusion, ground issue, PCM. I'd suspect some kind of wire harness issue. If no modifications, have a look for any obvious wiring issues

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
Cool, glad that's all (y)

A Guy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Picked car up, I live 20 miles from dealership. Car made it 19 miles when it started knocking and backfiring and then shut off in the middle of the road. Dealer is sending out a flatbed to pick the car up. ....I will update as to what they find in case anyone has a similar issue

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
Ahhh, I wanted to reply positively above, but almost said I hope that is it...

A Guy

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
Picked car up, I live 20 miles from dealership. Car made it 19 miles when it started knocking and backfiring and then shut off in the middle of the road. Dealer is sending out a flatbed to pick the car up. ....I will update as to what they find in case anyone has a similar issue
Hi toneyg73,
We sincerely regret hearing of your trouble. If it would be of interest, we'd be happy to add additional support while in service. Feel free to follow up with us via private message if this would be of interest.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
"oil temperature sensor"
I am no mechanic (especially on modern vehicles).
But I had a gut feeling it was more than this.
Good luck.

·
Registered
599 Posts
This will be a problem with the shared ground circuit for the affected suite of engine sensors or it'll be on the 5v reference side...that said it's on the dealership to locate the specific root cause. As others have mentioned most commonly this is rodent related but could also be a loose ground connection or even a bad splice. Worst case if they can't find it they should can just replace the engine harness and be done with it. Keep us posted !

Reactions: A Guy
1 - 12 of 12 Posts