Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
went to dodge store paid 30k for mine.. started it right up..... no wait at all.. even came with a radio and bucket seats,,,

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
You can build a motor in 1 day. The problem is volume and cores. We own 17 blocks yet only 3 are here right now. We have 14 motors awaitng assembly and with only 1 engine hone and a limited supply of cores it takes us longer than your big name operations unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
So if it's OK to answer this in the open, how much would I be looking at $$ wise for a long block say stock 6.1 to 419ish. I don't think my little puffer fish maggie could fill anything bigger than that efficiently. But if I'm wrong there someone tell me.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
So if it's OK to answer this in the open, how much would I be looking at $$ wise for a long block say stock 6.1 to 419ish. I don't think my little puffer fish maggie could fill anything bigger than that efficiently. But if I'm wrong there someone tell me.
I wouldn't go more than 392 Boatman. That'd be about a perfect setup in your car. 392 and about 10-12psi of boost and you'll have more power than you'll know what to do with and more torque than power. The motor will also be very happy. A 419 on boost not so much.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I wouldn't go more than 392 Boatman. That'd be about a perfect setup in your car. 392 and about 10-12psi of boost and you'll have more power than you'll know what to do with and more torque than power. The motor will also be very happy. A 419 on boost not so much.
Not true Speedy!

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Not true Speedy!
Sorry man....gotta disagree with ya. Arrington didn't recommend it and they had opportunity to make a few more bucks had I gone 392 but talked me out of it. They said it was too much stroke for a PD blower which is what Boatman has. Notice HHP didn't recommend it either with John's car as they stayed straight 6.1 and didn't even chose 392.

May be different with a centri blower like you have. Mike seems to do good with his 426 and a Vortech, but BW struggled with his 426 and Techo getting traction off the line.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I guess we are forgetting about trojan and his kenne bell 426 as well as mr norms and their kenne bell 426 oh and rubbel and his kenne bell 426 and arringtons 2 kenne bell 426s.

A 426 isn't needed when doing forced induction which is the reason why you do a 6.1 or 392. Shorter strokes last longer than longer stroke motors especially boosted.

With that being said, a 426 with the same blower as a 6.1 will make more power and run faster at the track.

No offense to bw, but you can't run a 600rwhp car the track on 20" wheels and expect to have traction.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Shorter strokes last longer than longer stroke motors especially boosted.
This is the heart of the issue for me, but I'm more of an engineer than a racer so I'd sacrifice speed for longevity.

There's even a Maggie blown Arrington 440 in my area. However the owner has deep pockets and did it "just because". I don't think he cares how long it lasts.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Crap this stuff is like figuring out how to unhook a bra when your 15.
Hahaha, it's not THAT bad. Just figure out how much power you want to make and build accordingly with a little bit of "over" build to give you some room to grow if you want.

You can make well over 600RWHP on a 9:1 compression 392 with your Maggie and the right setup and drive it a lot of trouble free miles.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Just think of it like this, the longer the stroke the greater the angle of pressure on the sidewall of the cylinder. That will naturally wear the cylinder more. That said, in all my research I don't know if there's enough of a sample size to say that a 426 or 440 will likely last X or Y miles less than a 6.1 or 392. But I think it's common sense that boosting any will shorten the lifespan.

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry man....gotta disagree with ya. Arrington didn't recommend it and they had opportunity to make a few more bucks had I gone 392 but talked me out of it. They said it was too much stroke for a PD blower which is what Boatman has. Notice HHP didn't recommend it either with John's car as they stayed straight 6.1 and didn't even chose 392.

May be different with a centri blower like you have. Mike seems to do good with his 426 and a Vortech, but BW struggled with his 426 and Techo getting traction off the line.

I run slicks though Jay, I do the same thing to Nitto's

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
I should probably stop thinking about a engine. Two reasons I haven't even got to a track with this setup yet, and working up to power is not all bad might keep me out of some trouble. 2nd My wife would not under stand why a car with 5000 miles needs a new engine.lol And that's not even considering a transmission witch I will definitely need with a long block.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Let's use this thread to discuss different engine combination's instead of thread crapping I'm moving some threads over to hear stay on topic in the other threads...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
im struggling with the fact you were wearing a bra in the first place..

but back on subject.. Id love a 392.... boosted but when racing i think ill be killing the trans...

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I am going with the 426 for the same reason as BW. I will soon have a 426 Challenger!!! The fact that is will have a beast of a blower on it is just gravy. I am glad I was able to get the Techco when I did, but If I was buying now, with the choices available at this point I think I would have to strongly consider an 9.5 or 10:1 426 as my choice for the street. This setup would be a beast with a little headroom to add a little boost later. Since I already have a blower it's 9:1 for me.

I am wondering how many other manuals have the FI426 setup? I sure hope I am able to drive this beast.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
I am going with the 426 for the same reason as BW. I will soon have a 426 Challenger!!! The fact that is will have a beast of a blower on it is just gravy. I am glad I was able to get the Techco when I did, but If I was buying now, with the choices available at this point I think I would have to strongly consider an 9.5 or 10:1 426 as my choice for the street. This setup would be a beast with a little headroom to add a little boost later. Since I already have a blower it's 9:1 for me.

I am wondering how many other manuals have the FI426 setup? I sure hope I am able to drive this beast.
BT your going to able to drive it so long as you have a light right foot also your going to need some different tires...There's a guy here in Ohio that had his 6 speed done with a 440 and Techco 6 speed the car is down right violent you hit the gas and it's all over the road he's had it turned down and still need to watch himself in the lower gears :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts