Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have looked at a lot of everones engine cover dress up so I decided to make my own. I had to re-draw it three times but I finally got the demensions correct.

I'm going to cut out the centre grey plastic section and bolt this one in to help reduce heat soak.

The pic is of my protoype but I'm trying to decide what would be the best finish for it. My choices are

#1 Bare steel and paint or powder coat it.

#2 Aluminum, have it anodized and then lasered

#3 Stainless steel.

What do you guys think.

Oh Yeah the 8 is missing the center section, the final version will have it.

Todd

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Powder coat it to match your car color?

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Engine cover

My vote is to paint or powder coat to match car color. What did it cost to make?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cover choice

My ca is black pearl and the sides I did in the car color so I want some contrast.

Thanks, maybe silver or something.

Cost was not too bad, I drew it and I know someone with a lazier cutter

Todd

·
Registered
276 Posts
Id go with Dark Gray or Silver then

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just my opinion but I would just have the M logo and the vented area (make the vented area larger though because the rest of the words are gone) and drop the hemi v8 and the word mopar. I am saying that because it is coming off looking too busy. People will already know it is a v8 hemi and the M logo means mopar so it is like restating the same thing over and over again. I would than paint it the same color as the metal to keep it simple and clean and it will pop against the rest of the engine. Simpler is better. Again this is just my opinion. I love the look of the M logo, always have.

·
Registered
999 Posts
:werd:
Just my opinion but I would just have the M logo and the vented area (make the vented area larger though because the rest of the words are gone) and drop the hemi v8 and the word mopar. I am saying that because it is coming off looking too busy. People will already know it is a v8 hemi and the M logo means mopar so it is like restating the same thing over and over again. I would than paint it the same color as the metal to keep it simple and clean and it will pop against the rest of the engine. Simpler is better. Again this is just my opinion. I love the look of the M logo, always have.
im with this.

i like it, looks very cool and a nice idea, but much too much going on there, simple M would do the job!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Engine cover

Thanks guys, as the drawing is in layers it is easy to change. I will make one without the the mopar and v8 but I like the hemi RT.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Why keep the word HEMI it says it on each side of the stock engine cover, no need to beat people over the head that it is a HEMI. Also if the car is an RT than it will state that on the grill. Now just going with the M logo will set that cover off while looking factory and a true Mopar fan will appreciate it. You have to think that the word HEMI is already on the cover and on the hood of the car and that a person who knows these cars will know by looking at the engine that you have the RT. Thats what I would do. My RT I keep looking as stock as possible.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Engine cover insert

Thanks guys all good points. I will draw it and see if I like it. So do you like the slots or would just holes be better?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I like the slots that you have done. Just leave those and the M log and you are good to go. I hope I didnt sound like some overbearing person by saying I didnt like certain aspects of your design. My only point was that it looked busy and cluttered and trying to say too much where as simplifying it really completes the look.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts