Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 R/T Classic with the 5.7 Hemi engine and auto trans. The plastic engine cover, does removing it and driving without it let the engine run cooler or does it not make a difference? The Classic does have open hood scoops, but I think these scoops release under hood heat more than they allow outside cooler air into the engine compartment.

What say you, run with or without the engine cover?

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Remove it, its 5lbs of worthless plastic. Once its removed you will see opportunities for mods.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
2014 R/T Classic with the 5.7 Hemi engine and auto trans. The plastic engine cover, does removing it and driving without it let the engine run cooler or does it not make a difference? The Classic does have open hood scoops, but I think these scoops release under hood heat more than they allow outside cooler air into the engine compartment.

I think the cover looks sissified...... I took mine off.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm taking mine off. It looks better to see the engine instead of that plastic thing. :bigthumb: :guiness:

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
2014 R/T Classic with the 5.7 Hemi engine and auto trans. The Classic does have open hood scoops, but I think these scoops release under hood heat more than they allow outside cooler air into the engine compartment.
I would remove the cover and mod the engine or get the cover custom painted. You can get some great ideas from what other members have done.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/show-off-your-rt-engine-bay-199402/index2.html

As far as the hood scoops, they reduce under-the-hood temperatures by 15 degrees. This helps to avoid heat soak.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Yeah, I'm taking mine off. It looks better to see the engine instead of that plastic thing. :bigthumb: :guiness:
Mick,
lots of folks get half covers.
Do a search and you will find a lot of different ideas.
I think a previous post in this thread had a link.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here's my "sissified" cover.....:grinbiginvert:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very Tasty. :guiness: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here's my "sissified" cover.....

That looks a bit better.
Thanks man. I could definitely see if it was not opened up it would retain heat for sure. Also, the half covers are cool too.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts

Both the 5.7 engine covers and the half covers hold a lot of heat in the fuel rails where you want it the least.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Havent tried to remove mine, what holds it on?

·
Registered
332 Posts
There are 4 little ball and socket posts. Just pull straight up.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Yeah, I'm taking mine off. It looks better to see the UGLY PLASTIC engine instead of that plastic thing. :bigthumb: :guiness:
Fixed it for you. I'll take a customized, sissified plastic cover over that ugly plastic intake anyday.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I leave mine off unless I'm showing the car.

The cover holds a crazy amount of heat and living Tx when its already 100 outside thats enough heat for me. I also have the functional hoods scoops as well. View attachment 226730 http://www.autoguide.com/mobile
I'm thinking I'd probably go the other way around and leave mine on unless I was tracking the car. The thread that speculated that the cover provides some protection from water makes me worry about having it off for normal driving.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
130 Posts
I leave mine on. My car is Hemi Orange and I bought the HO engine cover from Luke at Steve White Motors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here.. a pleasure to join you all. I took mine off and she runs a bit cooler. Now to install the functional (srt) hood scoops to evacuate a little bit more heat... Phantom Black/Radar Red

1 - 20 of 22 Posts