Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bad day Tuesday. I was out driving my 201 Challenger SE (3.5L/auto/ 108,000 miles) when, out of nowhere, my rear wheels chirped, the car hesitated momentarily, and a nasty clattering, knocking sound started. Shut it down and towed to shop. Their inspection showed a ton of metal in the oil and they're sure it broke a rod.
I love the car and it is in near new condition; the interior and paint are excellent and until Tuesday it was like driving a new car, never gave any indication of a problem developing. Anybody else ever had this kind of catastrophic failure in normal driving?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,712 Posts
I had a bad day Tuesday. I was out driving my 201 Challenger SE (3.5L/auto/ 108,000 miles) when, out of nowhere, my rear wheels chirped, the car hesitated momentarily, and a nasty clattering, knocking sound started. Shut it down and towed to shop. Their inspection showed a ton of metal in the oil and they're sure it broke a rod.
I love the car and it is in near new condition; the interior and paint are excellent and until Tuesday it was like driving a new car, never gave any indication of a problem developing. Anybody else ever had this kind of catastrophic failure in normal driving?
You have my sincerest sympathy.

No direct experience but an engine is only as strong as its weakest part. Could be in the case of your engine this was a rod bolt, or a rod.

Just another way of saying "you know what" happens.

If the car is an otherwise good platform and there is no warranty or goodwill (Hah!) to be had from Dodge consider a replacement engine. A "new" engine from the factory perhaps -- 'course, this could be cost prohibitive but maybe not -- or one sourced from a wrecked car.

In the case of one sourced from a wrecked car the damage should be away from the engine and engine compartment. Ideally one would want to be able to crank the engine -- only after you have used the dipstick to confirm the oil level is good -- if not walk away -- to at least check compression and if possible start the engine after and listen for any scary noises.

Otherwise the car is only a "roller" and its value is pretty low. With other cars when I explored this market it could be in the $3000 range maybe lower.

You can check ads in one of the Dodge specific car mags for a business that specializes in Dodge salvage cars and contact it to see if there is any interest in your car. There probably is. And you can at least explore that path as well as the replace the engine path.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,627 Posts
If you really like the car, and you have the space and time to do it yourself, I'd buy a guaranteed used engine from a salvage yard and fix it. Maybe a low mile engine and trans, just because.
Or find a wrecked/rusty beater for sale cheap that runs and drives and do a swap. You can probably use a 300 or Charger as a donor as well the same year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Disassembly found that number 4 cylinder ate the rod bearing, actually spit it out somehow and part of it got wedged between the rear two rods at the crank. I guess that is what caused the momentarily lock-up and caused the tires to chirp. There is debris everywhere throughout the engine, it is a write-off; not worth trying to rebuild.

I decided to bite the bullet and go for a professionally rebuilt replacement engine from a company that I have dealt with before. I am doing the install myself so I will know everything will be done my way and I'll know it was built right. And it has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty.
My last parts order should arrive tomorrow and start-up will be this weekend if nothing else rears its ugly head.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,205 Posts
Funny story !!!

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,627 Posts
If you really like the car, and you have the space and time to do it yourself, I'd buy a guaranteed used engine from a salvage yard and fix it. Maybe a low mile engine and trans, just because.
Or find a wrecked/rusty beater for sale cheap that runs and drives and do a swap. You can probably use a 300 or Charger as a donor as well the same year.
Good to hear it. I have had a couple of those engines, and loved them. Any pictures of the carnage?

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,912 Posts
Disassembly found that number 4 cylinder ate the rod bearing, actually spit it out somehow and part of it got wedged between the rear two rods at the crank. I guess that is what caused the momentarily lock-up and caused the tires to chirp. There is debris everywhere throughout the engine, it is a write-off; not worth trying to rebuild.

I decided to bite the bullet and go for a professionally rebuilt replacement engine from a company that I have dealt with before. I am doing the install myself so I will know everything will be done my way and I'll know it was built right. And it has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty.
My last parts order should arrive tomorrow and start-up will be this weekend if nothing else rears its ugly head.
Documentation of this swap would be appreciated.......complete with LOTS of pictures!

Reactions: 19johned53
1 - 8 of 8 Posts