Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all Challenger people. I’m Jeremy from Indianapolis. I’m excited to find out all the secrets you have learned about modification/upgrades. I’ve spent the last week searching the internet for ideas and reading the forums and I’ve learned a lot. I haven’t slept much, haven’t worked, so I thought I thought in addition to reading through the forum, I could just ask all of you. I just bought my first Challenger and I have lots of questions.

Such as:
What is the best solution for engine dress up? ACC, 3gCustomz, or others?

What should I buy or not buy? What is the best value for money spent?

Also if I go with ACC the finishing is already done, but it’s expensive.

If 3gCustomz, then what are my best options for finishing? I have a family member that has offered to anodize any aluminum for free, but what needs to happen to prep for that, and how does it look compared to brushed or polished. I have seen small parts, but not bigger parts anodized.

I also have an air compressor and spray guns, but I haven’t used the paint guns.

My car is a 2009 Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl R/T 6sp manual. It has absolutely no mods outside of exhaust stuff, CAI, and a tune. I’d like to do chrome/aluminum/silver, etc. with a lighter color of blue like a b5 blue, MOPAR blue (although these aren’t always consistent), Jazz blue?, light blue metallic. You get the idea, all these terms on all the sights vary slightly, but I like lighter than darker and maybe some more black.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
There are SO many things you can do to dress up under the hood. The engine cover on the 5.7 is the biggest WOW factor if you ask me. Billet Tech has all of the caps you'd ever want but they are expensive. If you DO buy some buy everything you want to get at one time. Reason I say that is some have stated that the color of them can vary from batch to batch so if you get everything at one time all of the color will match. Here is mine.

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Here is my engine bay not as fancy as some a work still in progress, engine cover is next
It all personal taste. Billet Technology , Speelogix , Steve White all vendors here
I have used
And congrats on your new ride !!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
There are SO many things you can do to dress up under the hood. The engine cover on the 5.7 is the biggest WOW factor if you ask me. Billet Tech has all of the caps you'd ever want but they are expensive. If you DO buy some buy everything you want to get at one time. Reason I say that is some have stated that the color of them can vary from batch to batch so if you get everything at one time all of the color will match. Here is mine.

Your cover looks great !! Can I ask you how the paint holds up on the cover ? And what type of prep and paint did you use ? , thanks

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Your cover looks great !! Can I ask you how the paint holds up on the cover ? And what type of prep and paint did you use ? , thanks
The pictures don't do it justice at all honestly. I didn't do it. I sent it off to a guy that does it for a living in Penn. It is holding up quite well as it was done in 8/2013.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
The pictures don't do it justice at all honestly. I didn't do it. I sent it off to a guy that does it for a living in Penn. It is holding up quite well as it was done in 8/2013.
If he still doing it can you please PM his Email or web sit ,, thanks

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks MoparOhio for the response. I like the billet stuff, but the problem I have is that we all end up having the same stuff. Sure you can get different colors and engravings, but in general it's not very unique. Also, this is my daily driver and the billet stuff is harder to keep clean and scratch-free. I was leaning toward painting some of the engine bay stuff with automotive enamel. Any ideas on automotive paint that will simulate stainless steel, chrome, etc. I don;t mean the stuff in the spray cans, but body shops colors.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Thanks MoparOhio for the response. I like the billet stuff, but the problem I have is that we all end up having the same stuff. Sure you can get different colors and engravings, but in general it's not very unique. Also, this is my daily driver and the billet stuff is harder to keep clean and scratch-free. I was leaning toward painting some of the engine bay stuff with automotive enamel. Any ideas on automotive paint that will simulate stainless steel, chrome, etc. I don;t mean the stuff in the spray cans, but body shops colors.
Understood. Sorry, I don't have any experience with good paints like you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Here's a mix of 3g customz, billet technology and AAC. All are great except AAC, scratches way to easy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
There is a spray on chrome process. Search Google for it.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
My engine bay is a combination of Billet Technology stuff (various caps, lids, strut covers and a custom designed fuse box cover), hydro-dipped parts (valve covers, coolant reservoir, upper CAI box lid), the ACC plenum cover that I plasti-dipped, and the ABS cover that I fabricated and painted with Hi-Temp spray paint.

You can't go wrong with BT engine bay stuff; top quality fabricated and sold by folks who "get it"...

...the ACC plenum cover, while stainless steel, isn't the best quality (but it's expensive), and others I've talked to are not thrilled at its quality either...

...the ABS cover I fabricated out of 1/8" aluminum diamond plate panels and welded them together. The raw diamond plate pattern you see was achieved simply by carefully painting those rows of the diamond plate with vaseline before spray painting. The vaseline prevented the paint from adhering to where I didn't want it to, and it just wiped right off.

In the end, to avoid what others have mentioned, the more you can do yourself, the more individuality you'll achieve.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
My engine bay is a combination of Billet Technology stuff (various caps, lids, strut covers and a custom designed fuse box cover), hydro-dipped parts (valve covers, coolant reservoir, upper CAI box lid), the ACC plenum cover that I plasti-dipped, and the ABS cover that I fabricated and painted with Hi-Temp spray paint.

You can't go wrong with BT engine bay stuff; top quality fabricated and sold by folks who "get it"...

...the ACC plenum cover, while stainless steel, isn't the best quality (but it's expensive), and others I've talked to are not thrilled at its quality either...

...the ABS cover I fabricated out of 1/8" aluminum diamond plate panels and welded them together. The raw diamond plate pattern you see was achieved simply by carefully painting those rows of the diamond plate with vaseline before spray painting. The vaseline prevented the paint from adhering to where I didn't want it to, and it just wiped right off.

In the end, to avoid what others have mentioned, the more you can do yourself, the more individuality you'll achieve.

Looks great !! Let me ask you this does the Vaseline trick work on the hard plastic parts in the engine bay from the factory ! The way it did on you diamond plate parts ? ,thanks

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Looks great !! Let me ask you this does the Vaseline trick work on the hard plastic parts in the engine bay from the factory ! The way it did on you diamond plate parts ? ,thanks
Conceptually, it should. You should test the vaseline on a plastic piece to see what you might need to fully remove it; the "oiliness" of the vaseline will make the plastic darker.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts