Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a few questions for the engine experts: I’m looking at a 2006 Magnum R/T as a family hauler (In addition to my Challenger). What were the major differences (besides the 340hp) between 2006 and current 5.7L Hemis? Did they have MDS and Variable cam timing back then? Were those pre Eagle heads? If so, does most of the power difference come from the newer heads? Or can I make up a lot of that with a tune? I know we’re a Challenger page, but if anyone has any other info on what to look out for on a Magnum, I’d appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The 2006 5.7L did not have Eagle heads or VVT, but it did have MDS. Also they had a lower compression ratio (I think 9.6:1 vs 10:3, but don't quote me on that). The 2006 had EGR. Newer ones with VVT don't need it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So part of the lower power is due to lower compression. Is that due to larger chamber heads, or different pistons? Is EGR an issue for performance? If so, can it be removed/tuned out? Are the pre-Eagle heads a big power issue if I’m staying with NA bolt ons and maybe a cam?

·
Super Moderator
14,412 Posts
there's a number of factors between the pre-Eagle 5.7s and the '09+ (Eagle)

Eagle:
>heads have better flow rate [more than the 6.1 heads]
>VVT improved pumping losses - more high end power
>increased CR ratio

there'll be a lot more things to do just to get from the '06 spec to what a '09 5.7 / A5 (370-372hp), but it could be done. Just how much $$$ you're willing to spend on it.

Cam, exhaust, head porting and tuning are going to be the main items

1 - 5 of 5 Posts