Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I am in the process of purchasing a 2012 392. Carfax came back clean, but when I spoke to the original owner, they claimed that due to a timing chain issue the whole engine was replaced under warranty. I doubt the dealership has any knowledge of this.

Is there anyway to ensure that the engine is 100% legitimate? Through an engine ID# and VIN match? Or some kind of serial number I could ask the dealership for?

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place, and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I recently lost my car during the recent hurricane that hit Houston and this SRT immediately caught my eye.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
If it was replaced under warranty it would be in the Dodge system and any dealer should be able to look it up by the VIN.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
The whole "timing chain issue" never affected the 392, only the 5.7L.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
There is a derivative of the VIN etched onto the lower block driver side, the last 8 should match the last 8 of your VIN. If not or if it's blank, it has a different engine than what was installed at Brampton.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The whole "timing chain issue" never affected the 392, only the 5.7L.

I've seen that. Which exactly why it scared the hell out of me. I'm hesitant that they just dropped any engine in there and is passing it off as the stock one. Just wanted a way to know for sure. I appreciate it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think it would show up on a car fax report?

Exactly. It's going for 22k which is lower than value price right now so that's why I'm just trying to make sure everything is lined up correctly. I'm new to challengers and just wanted to see a way to distinctively see that it's the stock 392 HEMI. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it was replaced under warranty it would be in the Dodge system and any dealer should be able to look it up by the VIN.

Thanks man. Do you think the dealer would adjust the price when they find out it's a whole new engine? Or would the dealer that did the replacement be able to tell me themselves?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hello all.
I am in the process of purchasing a 2012 392. Carfax came back clean, but when I spoke to the original owner, they claimed that due to a timing chain issue the whole engine was replaced under warranty. I doubt the dealership has any knowledge of this.
I'm having a hard time understanding your way of thinking! Who is it exactly you think does the warranty work on these cars? If anyone would has any knowledge of it, it ought to be the dealership I would think, that's the first place I'd be checking for more info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello all.
I'm having a hard time understanding your way of thinking! Who is it exactly you think does the warranty work on these cars? If anyone would has any knowledge of it, it ought to be the dealership I would think, that's the first place I'd be checking for more info.
I think I should have been more clear in my explanation. I apologize for any ignorance.

I am not purchasing from a dodge dealership. I live in Texas and the car is coming from California. I tried talking to representatives online and since the title wasn't in my name yet, they wouldn't disclose the information. The dealer didn't tell me this occurred, nor did the carfax. Although the original owner said it was when the replacement occurred, it was being delivered from what the owner claimed is "the SRT group in Detroit". I was just worried cause like someone said the timing chain problem was on the 5.7's.

Again, I know this is a stupid question. I just don't wanna buy a car with any old engine slapped on it. Just wanted to see my chances.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Everything about this deal sounds shady to me so I have to disagree with Luke. Dont walk away, run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything about this deal sounds shady to me so I have to disagree with Luke. Dont walk away, run.

Right. I'm gonna call the the dealership they claimed the replacement was done and see what I can find out.

When I talked to the MOPAR representative, they did say an actual service was done on the dates that the original owner claimed was the time frame the replacement was done.

When I check the car out in person, is there anything I should look out for? New to challengers so anything would be helpful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The representative I did talk to was done through MOPAR though so I know the trim is correct.

After taking off the engine covers, are there anything to reference to see if it's the correct engine?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The representative I did talk to was done through MOPAR though so I know the trim is correct.

After taking off the engine covers, are there anything to reference to see if it's the correct engine?

Get the vin and ask a dealer to run it for you.....there will be a record of it because it was a warranted repair....get the seller to do it on your behalf email you the paper work...I don't know Chrysler code word for the report but there is something out there....There may even be a sticker on the engine stating its a factory replacement...

good luck and I'm sure someone else will pipe in with some visual proof of its a real 392 as well

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,866 Posts
Exactly. It's going for 22k which is lower than value price right now so that's why I'm just trying to make sure everything is lined up correctly. I'm new to challengers and just wanted to see a way to distinctively see that it's the stock 392 HEMI. Thanks.
Depending on mileage $22k is pausible...in fact there is a 2012 SRT 392 on carguru going for that price in CA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Get the vin and ask a dealer to run it for you.....there will be a record of it because it was a warranted repair....get the seller to do it on your behalf email you the paper work...I don't know Chrysler code word for the report but there is something out there....There may even be a sticker on the engine stating its a factory replacement...

good luck and I'm sure someone else will pipe in with some visual proof of its a real 392 as well[/QUOTE]

Thank you brother that's all I needed to know. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

good luck and I'm sure someone else will pipe in with some visual proof of its a real 392 as well
Depending on mileage $22k is pausible...in fact there is a 2012 SRT 392 on carguru going for that price in CA.

Yeah I had to hunt this one down though. Kinda why I'm going through the trouble. I appreciate it man ?? Hopefully it all works out.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,743 Posts
Hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but is the dealership selling the car an actual Dodge/Chrysler dealership?

If not, I would be very wary of anything they tell you about the previous history of the vehicle, and I would also subject any paperwork they provided on that history to a very close inspection.

Long story short, I worked with a member here on some issues they were having with the dealership that sold them their Challenger, and did an engine replacement on it (under their own extended warranty) later on, and we eventually were able to figure out they had falsified the documents and flat-out lied to him about what had been done. No replacement engine (and no-lots of other work that was supposedly done prior as well), it was the same one that was in it when they sold him the car (used).

Anyway, they were not a Dodge/Chrysler dealership (Nissan FWIW), and that ultimately tripped them up on the paperwork detailing the engine replacement. I noticed things that should have been noted or listed and were not, as well things that should not have been touched but were...a Dodge service dept. wouldn't have made those mistakes, but then again, I'd like to think a Dodge dealership wouldn't attempt to defraud their customers in the first place...

Anyway, that's all I have to offer on the topic, hope it's of some use...

Nuke

1 - 20 of 21 Posts