Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 17 RT. I get a loud knock from engine upon startup for a couple seconds. It only does it in an incline such as driveway no mater if I park nose first or reverse. It doesn’t do it all the time. Has anyone else had this issue? Lifter? Valve? Going to take it to dealership on Saturday. Only mods are shortys, mopar cai, catch can, 3G halfcovers and metco breather.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Once I had what sounded like a lifter noise on start up for just a few moments. But it went away and never came back. When you are on a steep driveway you can use the trick of holding the pedal all the way down and hitting the start button. That disables to coils allowing you to prelube the engine. I use it every spring now that I know about it.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
Wonder if the anti drain valve in the oil filter is not sealing properly?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wonder if the anti drain valve in the oil filter is not sealing properly?
Had a few oil changes done and still been happening during that time. Thx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally took car to dealer. They said the knock is common on hemi when they sit for a while. Said oil drains from rockers. They started a couple of vehicles on lot to show me but of course none of them did it. They did a basic check on car but that was it. I had them document reason I took car in and got a copy. I still have 2 years on warranty. I just don’t park on incline to avoid the sound and possibility of any damage that can be caused.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Most dealers know very little about the cars they service. If they cant plug in and read it, they are lost. Perhaps documenting your visit was the best thing to have done. My opinion and it may go against the mopar community....No healthy engine should routinely tick. Yes I've heard off "the hemi tick" and yes, I've replaced a hemi engin at 120k miles and that just left a bad taste.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup. This was beyond hemi tick. Lasts about 3-5 seconds. Only does it on incline. Reminds me of an engine running with extremely low oil.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
Then it is not knock but valve train noise. Could be oil filter anti drain is allowing oil to seep by. If the car sits for a while. Try holding the pedal to the floor (injectors won't fire) and crank the engine over a couple of times to prime the engine with oil. Then start it normally.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Finally took car to dealer. They said the knock is common on hemi when they sit for a while. Said oil drains from rockers. They started a couple of vehicles on lot to show me but of course none of them did it. They did a basic check on car but that was it. I had them document reason I took car in and got a copy. I still have 2 years on warranty. I just don’t park on incline to avoid the sound and possibility of any damage that can be caused.
Hi kuk1968, I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble resolving this concern. If you do choose to return your vehicle to your dealer for diagnosis, please feel free to reach out to us here via a private message. We are happy to help!
Rob
DodgeCares

1 - 11 of 11 Posts