Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone with a 6-speed 5.7 (2011 model year) is experiencing engine lag in 2nd and 3rd gear during a cold start? Once, the engine comes up to temp, it goes away. Literally it's like it happens only for a 1/2 mile then it goes away.

Haven't called dealership yet as I expect they'll say to bring it in will find nothing. So, anybody that has experienced this and can give me as much info they have, the more I can go to the dealership with.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,760 Posts
You're not expecting the car to drive the same cold as it does when its warm do you? Is it really dogging it..... or just running like cold motors do?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're not expecting the car to drive the same cold as it does when its warm do you? Is it really dogging it..... or just running like cold motors do?
I have drove cars/trucks for 30 years. I know that a cold engine doesn't run like a warm engine. :scratchhead:

With constant acceleration it lags and jumps constantly (tach jumps back and forth about 500 rpms) when in 2nd until I can get the RPM's sustained enough to upshift to 3rd where it continues until I can get it to 4th. Again, all of this smooths out once the engine gets some heat into it.

It is not the driver as I mentioned before, it is normal constant acceleration.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
With that little bit more of info, that paints a more accurate picture. It appears that there may be something going on.

Before bringing it in, try this. Pull the #2 fuse which is located in the power distribution center under the hood for 15 seconds and re-install it. This will reset some adaptives that may wake your motor up... it may not. I think it is worth a shot anyway. Of course, do this with the engine cold to try to duplicate the trouble conditions.

If that doesn't do anything positive, it may warrant a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to disconnect my battery last week to reset a sunroof issue. I take that doesn't have the same effect on the CPM adaptives as pulling the #2 fuse?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Not sure. I'd guess that disconnecting the battery would do the same. I'd try the fuse pull anyway.

This cold engine problem didn't start up after the battery disconnect did it?

·
Registered
463 Posts
My 6 spd 6.1 is cold blooded as well. It's more a e-throttle/computer thing I think and may be very similar to the 5.7 setup. I normally let it warm up a bit but still it acts quirky as heck until the temp gage is up a bit.

·
Super Moderator
16,476 Posts
With constant acceleration it lags and jumps constantly (tach jumps back and forth about 500 rpms) when in 2nd until I can get the RPM's sustained enough to upshift to 3rd where it continues until I can get it to 4th. Again, all of this smooths out once the engine gets some heat into it.

It is not the driver as I mentioned before, it is normal constant acceleration.
I don't have any of that - whether its 25*F or 95*F outside on startup with a cold engine.

Granted with the oil being cold there's more drag on the oil pump with the thicker cold oil, but I drive moderately to let the oil and engine warm up. But there's no surging or bucking going on.

I have a couple of stop signs and traffic lights right out of my street, so I'm holding 1st/2nd/3rd gear longer during the cold start-up drive than the typical driving I'd be doing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts