Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried a search but it brought 100+ results for the V8. I want to change the 3.5L V6 engine lettering from black to red. What's the best way of doing it? Any resources?

Thanks! :bouncy:

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
I did mine buy laying some red vinyl on top of the letters and cutting around them with an exacto knife.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm thinking on masking off around the letters/numbers with painters tape and spray paint it

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
here is what I did with red vinyl tape.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I masked the letters with blue painters' tape, using a razor blade to trim in all of the tight spots. It took about 45 minutes to get it right. Once done, I gave it four good coats with red engine paint, making sure to hit it from every angle.

Whether you go with paint or vinyl, it just takes a little patience. If you go with vinyl, get extra so if you screw up you can redo it. Same thing with masking, if something doesn't look quite right just re-do it.

If you go with the paint issue, make sure to cover the rest of the engine & fenders with taped down paper - overspray can get on everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I masked the letters with blue painters' tape, using a razor blade to trim in all of the tight spots. It took about 45 minutes to get it right. Once done, I gave it four good coats with red engine paint, making sure to hit it from every angle.

Whether you go with paint or vinyl, it just takes a little patience. If you go with vinyl, get extra so if you screw up you can redo it. Same thing with masking, if something doesn't look quite right just re-do it.

If you go with the paint issue, make sure to cover the rest of the engine & fenders with taped down paper - overspray can get on everything.
I appreciate the advice. I'm wondering if the part with the lettering (that's being colored) is an engine cover or is it actually part of the engine?

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I appreciate the advice. I'm wondering if the part with the lettering (that's being colored) is an engine cover or is it actually part of the engine?
it's not an engine cover in the same way the HEMI's have a removable engine cover

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
x2

The lettering is molded into the engine, it is not anything you are going to want to remove.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
here is what I did with red vinyl tape.

Great work I-R/T on that lettering, tried it last night but guess I don't have the skills. Maybe wrong tape. What tape and where did you get yours? I was practicing with blue painters and it did not stick at all.

·
Registered
398 Posts

That looks really good. I was thinking of doing the same thing but using Hemi Orange.

·
Registered
205 Posts
may need to clean that plastic up with some alcohol or something too. ours is kinda slick feeling.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Where did you get the vinyl tape? Like an Ace, home depot hardware store?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here is what I did, we made a template then scanned it into the computer, made some adjustments. Then my buddy who has a graphics cutter, ran it through the graphics machine. Then you lay it down just like a vinyl graphic. It helps to scuff the letters up with some 2000 grit sandpaper, if you dont the letters will not stick that well. I went with this way because just like laying down graphics you spray water down first then lay down the letters, that way you can slide them around to get them lined out properly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts