Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Challenger R/T 5.7L automatic, I put a 180 thermastat and now I get a engine light with a code of not running at proper temp. The dealer states there is no changing the computer.
What should I do, do i have to live with that light or what.
Thnak you for any help.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
A lot of people run 180 stats and their CELs aren't on. I've heard of this on cold days but it's not the norm. Did you check the stat before install? If you have an EVIC what's it say your temp really is?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Two things for you.

1. Did you get a TStat with the bleeder check valve in it and if so, did you orient this valve and 12:00 o'clock?

2. Did you bleed the system? If not you more than likely have air pockets in the system sending false information to the temp switch and thereby giving you codes. The bleeder is on the W/P housing just to the left of the TStat housing. It has a hex head wrench fitting.

If you replaced the Tstat with the 180, do you have a tuner to edit the fan settings? without a tuner you have no way to adjust these settings and they will not work correctly. This may not turn on the CEL but they should be changed or the fans will not come when they should..

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
The code you're getting is most likely "Thermostat Rationality" and is typically prevalent with mild temperatures. The only way to make it go away permanently is via a CMR tune (Predator or Trinity required). I had this code on for years, never bothered me. Now running a custom tune that purposefully disables it.

Tom

·
Registered
428 Posts
I get the same thing in my 6.1. The code you are likely getting is a P0128 - something about coolant temp below expected range and it is the middle of summer in TX. I don't get it all the time. Seems like if I let the car warm up for a few minutes before driving off it doesn't have issues. I've tried adjust the fans up a few degrees too and it still occurs. Checked the system and everything is installed correctly. Think some t-stats are just lower ranged.

·
Registered
247 Posts
yeah it happens with me here even in hot Kuwait when I step on it right from the get go and only in winter even though winters here aren't that cold obviously. If i let it run for a few minutes or just take it very easy the first 10 minutes of driving, I don't get it. It's still kinda random tho sometimes.
I have the Mopar one. I just clear the code out with the trinity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts