Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MIL light came on after I jump started my car for the third time and still is on after I've replaced the battery (I was due for one), will it come off soon? I googled the code and this came out:

- Low battery charge
- Battery defective
- Loose or missing alternator drive belt
- Faulty alternator
- Open or short system voltage circuit

I'll admit that when I first discovered the car was dead after coming back from jogging I tried to turn the ignition about 3 times and it did that click sound for 2-3 seconds each time...maybe I shouldn't have done that. I just wanted to see if it had enough power to turn back on because it was getting dark, my cell had low battery and I was in a pretty desolate area. Then I was jump started about 3 times in total before I replaced the battery. First two times it was AAA and the third time was in Sears, do all those jumps harm the alternator?

Do you guys think the light is on because it was just the battery or could it also be due to me trying to turn the car on when it was stone dead? Or perhaps all those jumps?

Help! I'm worried :indifferent:

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
MIL light came on after I jump started my car for the third time and still is on after I've replaced the battery (I was due for one), will it come off soon? I googled the code and this came out:

- Low battery charge
- Battery defective
- Loose or missing alternator drive belt
- Faulty alternator
- Open or short system voltage circuit

I'll admit that when I first discovered the car was dead after coming back from jogging I tried to turn the ignition about 3 times and it did that click sound for 2-3 seconds each time...maybe I shouldn't have done that. I just wanted to see if it had enough power to turn back on because it was getting dark, my cell had low battery and I was in a pretty desolate area. Then I was jump started about 3 times in total before I replaced the battery. First two times it was AAA and the third time was in Sears, do all those jumps harm the alternator?

Do you guys think the light is on because it was just the battery or could it also be due to me trying to turn the car on when it was stone dead? Or perhaps all those jumps?

Help! I'm worried :indifferent:
You did not hurt the car or cause any problem. It may need to be reset or may go away on its own. You can go to one of your local auto parts stores and they have a tool to clear the codes and they will do it for free.. Nothing to worry about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts