Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SP WB - Hellraisin, A8, Plus Pckg, Tech Grp, Driver Conv, Alpine, Sunroof, Spoiler
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm bringing my car in tomorrow morning b/c the engine light came on. Car has 5k miles.

I recall someone getting a warranty voided for the catch can. seems ridiculous to me but wondering if others here would remove it for the service.

Probably doesn't matter but I left it on there last time I brought it in for an oil change and nothing was said.

Thanks for feedback!

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
Out of sight, out of mind. Take it off and save yourself potential grief.

Reactions: Hellraisin

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SP WB - Hellraisin, A8, Plus Pckg, Tech Grp, Driver Conv, Alpine, Sunroof, Spoiler
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
If you’ll notice it’s a common issue with dealerships, they like to point at anything that’s not their fault including when it is. Your manager may be fine but if he’s off that day then what?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you’ll notice it’s a common issue with dealerships, they like to point at anything that’s not their fault including when it is. Your manager may be fine but if he’s off that day then what?
is it really common? I know I've seen at least one post here about it for sure but I'm pretty noob on the forum.

I guess that leads to a second thought, 'how often, if ever, has a CC been the actual cause of check engine?

not asking you specifically necessarily, just typing out loud :LOL:

I just removed it, why take the chance. Hoping I'm not posting on the forum tomorrow about a major problem with my new car!

I am curious if anyone was told the CC was definitely the problem that caused a code or engine light.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I am curious if anyone was told the CC was definitely the problem that caused a code or engine light.
I've read posts where the CC was the cause, as it was not installed properly or a hose loosened up. Barring bad installs and loose hoses, I've not heard of a case where the catch can was the exact cause, but have seen cases ( one I posted earlier ) where it was blamed on the catch can, as it gave the dealer/ automaker a way out, so they didn't have to foot the bill.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've read posts where the CC was the cause, as it was not installed properly or a hose loosened up. Baring bad installs and loose hoses, I've not heard of a case where the catch can was the exact cause, but have seen cases ( one I posted earlier ) where it was blamed on the catch can, as it gave the dealer/ automaker a way out, so they didn't have to foot the bill.
Thanks, makes sense if someone really messed up an install even as simple as it is. The distrust of car dealers in general is why I changed it. I suppose a car dealer would say changing it creates distrust on their end too, but fact is I don't believe the CC is the cause.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
is it really common? I know I've seen at least one post here about it for sure but I'm pretty noob on the forum.

I guess that leads to a second thought, 'how often, if ever, has a CC been the actual cause of check engine?

not asking you specifically necessarily, just typing out loud :LOL:

I just removed it, why take the chance. Hoping I'm not posting on the forum tomorrow about a major problem with my new car!

A catch can only benefits an engine but they get kissy over things and can NEVER back up their claims. That’s why you eliminate all possibilities.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
What code does it show?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What code does it show?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's just the engine light - solid not blinking.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,063 Posts
Ironically enough, one time my CEL came on DUE to the catch can! I'd just emptied the oil out of it and failed to screw it back together tight enough. The result was an air leak that threw a code!

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,901 Posts
Ironically enough, one time my CEL came on DUE to the catch can! I'd just emptied the oil out of it and failed to screw it back together tight enough. The result was an air leak that threw a code!
CC 101

Always check that the hoses are tight, no leaks, check the "o" ring after a drain, and check that its thread on correctly.

All simple stuff, but all stuff that can cause a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
194 Posts
it's just the engine light - solid not blinking.
Go to autozone and have them read the code for you, it's free and as long as they don't clear it the dealer will never know it's been read. May save you a trip to the dealer or give you insight in case the dealer tells you something different. But if you do take it to the dealer return your car to stock condition before they look at it. You are probably correct that the catch can is not the issue BUT you will have to prove that you are right, and they have tons of money to pay "engineers" and lawyers to cast doubt on your claims if it gets ugly. It's not worth the hassle to roll those dice, especially since the catch can is so easy to take off and put back on.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
Hey all, I'm bringing my car in tomorrow morning b/c the engine light came on. Car has 5k miles.

I recall someone getting a warranty voided for the catch can. seems ridiculous to me but wondering if others here would remove it for the service.

Probably doesn't matter but I left it on there last time I brought it in for an oil change and nothing was said.

Thanks for feedback!
I would never install a catch can. But that's another thread.

If you remove the catch can and it is the cause of the CEL -- the CC could be leaking and the air leak has triggered the CEL -- this can confuse the diagnosis. The tech might go off on a wild goose hunt when you "fixed" the problem removing the CC.

If the CC in some other way has affected the engine in removing it you in effect committing fraud.

Because I would never install a CC and because I have never modified an engine under warranty I have never faced this but I'd leave the CC on and take my chances. In doing so it is being "honest" with the dealer/service department.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
Yep, get the code. Get a reader, buy, beg, borrow, one. Find out yourself why the light is on. If it is something like (just random items) voltage or temperature or transmission related, then leave it on and have them take a look. If it is something like an evap issue, ANYTHING oil related, then your call, not mine.
ALL OPINION from here...
But like @Rockster said, I don't run a catch can. I firmly believe that if it was that beneficial, every car would come with one already. I do wish they would at least acknowledge them since they are so popular, and either give a thumbs up or down on them officially. I assume they aren't officially permitted by this rule only. IF they were, THEY would sell them as an "Official MOPAR Accessory" like those stupid caliper covers 🤦‍♂️ and get in on the profit. Since they don't they could be not mentioning them so they have a viable "out" on warranty issues. Just my own opinions.
It would be amazing if @DodgeCares would get an "official" statement from Ma MOPAR on this once and for all. It is their opinion that matters, none of ours.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Yep, get the code. Get a reader, buy, beg, borrow, one. Find out yourself why the light is on. If it is something like (just random items) voltage or temperature or transmission related, then leave it on and have them take a look. If it is something like an evap issue, ANYTHING oil related, then your call, not mine.
ALL OPINION from here...
But like @Rockster said, I don't run a catch can. I firmly believe that if it was that beneficial, every car would come with one already. I do wish they would at least acknowledge them since they are so popular, and either give a thumbs up or down on them officially. I assume they aren't officially permitted by this rule only. IF they were, THEY would sell them as an "Official MOPAR Accessory" like those stupid caliper covers 🤦‍♂️ and get in on the profit. Since they don't they could be not mentioning them so they have a viable "out" on warranty issues. Just my own opinions.
It would be amazing if @DodgeCares would get an "official" statement from Ma MOPAR on this once and for all. It is their opinion that matters, none of ours.
Hi Pioneer4x4,
Hope you have been well. Any aftermarket modification regardless of benefits is still concerned an aftermarket modification. Per the warranty manual, "But your warranties don’t cover any part that was not on your vehicle when it left the manufacturing plant or is not certified for use on your vehicle. Nor do they cover the costs of any repairs or adjustments that might be caused or needed because of the installation or use of non-FCA US parts, components, equipment, materials, or additives. Performance or racing parts are considered to be non-FCA US parts. Repairs or adjustments caused by their use are not covered under your warranties.
Examples of the types of alterations not covered are:
• Installing accessories — except for genuine FCA
US/MOPAR accessories installed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Ram dealer;"
Please know that you may visit Official Mopar Site | Warranty Information to learn more about your Warranty.

As the Customer Care Team, we do not recommend altering your vehicle outside of factory specifications. However, if you are interested in pursuing aftermarket adjustments, your Dodge dealer would be in the position to advise on this inquiry.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
I would never install a catch can. But that's another thread.

If you remove the catch can and it is the cause of the CEL -- the CC could be leaking and the air leak has triggered the CEL -- this can confuse the diagnosis. The tech might go off on a wild goose hunt when you "fixed" the problem removing the CC.

If the CC in some other way has affected the engine in removing it you in effect committing fraud.

Because I would never install a CC and because I have never modified an engine under warranty I have never faced this but I'd leave the CC on and take my chances. In doing so it is being "honest" with the dealer/service department.
HUH? It has ZERO negative effects on the engine.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts