Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this once b4 but forgot some small detail...it was on utube....involves stepping on brake pedal 10x quickly...

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,676 Posts
I did this once b4 but forgot some small detail...it was on utube....involves stepping on brake pedal 10x quickly...
If the check engine light is on you should read the codes, freeze frame data, and write this all down. Then if the engine is not manifesting any untoward behavior then you can clear the CEL and see (hope) the CEL doesn't come back on. If if does then read the codes and freeze frame data and if they are the same as before that's sign there is something wrong and it should be diagnosed and fixed.

To do the above you should have an OBD2 code reader and ideally one that also allows you to view engine/sensor telemetry in real time. Often when trying to get diagnose a problem it helps to be able to view some data in real time.

So my advice is get to a well stocked auto parts store and pick up a good OBD2 tool. I prefer the old fashioned kind that plug into the OBD2 port and have a LCD and buttons to navigate around. I've had one of these since '96 and it has saved me many times its cost over the years.

But some owners prefer the one that works with a smart phone.

Up to you which style you get.

But what you should not do is just clear the code without knowing what it is.

I do not know the steps to clear the error codes and extinguish the CEL, ignoring the old disconnect the battery "trick" or possibly pulling a fuse or two. I dislike messing with the battery unless absolutely necessary and that goes double for fuses.

There might be some way via the steering wheel button that controls dash display to call up any active error message associated with the CEL and then have the option to clear it sort of like how one uses the steering wheel button to walk through to say the fuel economy display and press the "Ok" button to reset this.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,749 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the check engine light is on you should read the codes, freeze frame data, and write this all down. Then if the engine is not manifesting any untoward behavior then you can clear the CEL and see (hope) the CEL doesn't come back on. If if does then read the codes and freeze frame data and if they are the same as before that's sign there is something wrong and it should be diagnosed and fixed.

To do the above you should have an OBD2 code reader and ideally one that also allows you to view engine/sensor telemetry in real time. Often when trying to get diagnose a problem it helps to be able to view some data in real time.

So my advice is get to a well stocked auto parts store and pick up a good OBD2 tool. I prefer the old fashioned kind that plug into the OBD2 port and have a LCD and buttons to navigate around. I've had one of these since '96 and it has saved me many times its cost over the years.

But some owners prefer the one that works with a smart phone.

Up to you which style you get.

But what you should not do is just clear the code without knowing what it is.

I do not know the steps to clear the error codes and extinguish the CEL, ignoring the old disconnect the battery "trick" or possibly pulling a fuse or two. I dislike messing with the battery unless absolutely necessary and that goes double for fuses.

There might be some way via the steering wheel button that controls dash display to call up any active error message associated with the CEL and then have the option to clear it sort of like how one uses the steering wheel button to walk through to say the fuel economy display and press the "Ok" button to reset this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already know what the code and reason and how to do this without a reader. I also have reset b4 without a reader but can't remember the sequence.....its simple and involves pressing brake pedal 10x......so if anyone knows this would appreciate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts