Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright pros, yet another noobie needs some help.

This morning my dad went to hit the remote start, it started up as usual, but after approximately 10 seconds, it shut itself off, he didn't touch anything. He got in, fired her up and got the evil bell with the Check Engine Light on...:scratchhead:

No idea why, whatever happened, happened over night. I drove it the night before with NO issues. Come morning, it has the engine light on. It is staying on too, wont go away. I have NO clue what could possibly be the problem.

Any ideas? Should we take it in?

The problem we have with taking it in is we have a custom CMR tune, JBA shorty headers, JBA high flow catted mid pipes and Magnaflow custom exhaust with resonator delete... I don't think the dealer is going to like that to much... We bought the lifetime warrenty for the car also so it's really going to suck if they screw us on that somehow if we take it in.

I have heard of ways to use the Predator to find out what code it's throwing to turn on the light, but I'm not sure how, any help here with that??

Also, I've heard of ways of turning the light off with the Predator. Is this recommended or a "DON'T DO IT!!!" kinda thing? If it's ok, how do I go about doing it??

Any help, ideas ect would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
-MB

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Its real easy to check with the predator. When you plug it in, it will take you to the main menu, and you should see 'diagnostics.' Just go into there follow directions and it will tell you the codes. Don't clear them before you see what it is. If its something simple there should be a fix, otherwise you'll have to load your stock tune and it should come right back on when that is loaded. THEN take it in to the dealer. Don't take it in with the cmr loaded unless you have a dealership that knows the deal...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yeah, get the code before you take it to the dealer. It could be something simple as the gas cap is loose. Or an O2 sensor.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
You can get the code without the tunner but you need to hook it up to put the original tune back in so you might as well use it to get the code. I don't think it will let you clear the light when the problem is still there. I think it's suppose to shut down when remote started when there's a CEL. I know the push button start and MDS don't work with CEL on.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Push button works fine with a cel. I know because I constantly have an engine light and have never started my car another way.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
its probably those highflow cats throwing a rear O2 emissions code...you may just have to live with it, or find somebody who can turn them off via CMR tune. let us know what the code # is when you read it. takes about 1 minute.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Mine didn't, I messed something up when I put in my lockpick and had the CEL lite come on and had to pop the button out and use the key to start it untill I got the lite out.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It turned out to be "P0481" Fan 2 Control Circuit

I noticed our Hi fan settings aren't on anymore so they may have burnt out or something. We went on one of our normal cruises to Laguna Beach, we were just around the corner from home and the temp was at hot, not sure when it happened but it had to of jumped from the middle to hot randomly because I was watching it for my dad the whole time. Luckily we were just around the corner from home when the light came on saying it was hot.

I'm taking it in to Stack Performance tomorrow, Ryan said he would check it out for me that way if it's an easy fix or something we don't have to mess with de-tuning it and taking it to the idiots at the dealer that take their sweet time (they usually end up "testing" your car more then working on it....)

I'll let you guys know what happens!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts