Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Season 5 Episode 79 Engine Masters does an episode with the 2017 Ram truck gen III 5.7 eagle. They use a Terminator X Holley EFI box that can control VVT, ETC...etc. They do a cam swap and discover they don't know new school mopars. Basically the Steves and Freiburger get schooled on how to work on an Eagle. All this was from a discussion Freiburger had with Holley CEO that opened his eyes to the potential of the 5.7. They did not get how VVT works as the cam is advanced but as oil pressure is applied it is retarded. Anyways, if you have a subscription to Motortrend, check it out.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
37 Posts
I just watched that episode. That Cam swap sure did wake up that 5.7L Impressive numbers for only 1 change.

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
672 Posts
Richard Holdener did a YouTube comparison of the pre-Eagle (??) 5.7 vs. an Eagle 5.7 and a cam swap on both using some of the same data from the Engine Master's show.

He said the early 5.7 was down on power compared to what he thought it should have done, but the Eagle motor pretty much put it to shame either way.

I'd link to it, but not in a good place to grab a link and shouldn't be hard to find with a search.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,360 Posts
Yup, watch every show.

Plan is the engine in my 84 Ram W350 with 4 speed, 360 just leaks oil and 100HP

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,378 Posts
So Season 5 Episode 79 Engine Masters does an episode with the 2017 Ram truck gen III 5.7 eagle. They use a Terminator X Holley EFI box that can control VVT, ETC...etc. They do a cam swap and discover they don't know new school mopars. Basically the Steves and Freiburger get schooled on how to work on an Eagle. All this was from a discussion Freiburger had with Holley CEO that opened his eyes to the potential of the 5.7. They did not get how VVT works as the cam is advanced but as oil pressure is applied it is retarded. Anyways, if you have a subscription to Motortrend, check it out.
I'll be wathing that one tonight!

Did you catch the one with the boost vs. NA cam swamps? Makes me rethink everything I've learned about cams. I'm sure there is more into the fine tuning etc.. but for general WOT doesn't seem to make that much of a diff on the grind going NA vs. Boost.

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
672 Posts
Should have guess that someone else already linked the video I was referencing above.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be watching that one tonight!

Did you catch the one with the boost vs. NA cam swamps? Makes me rethink everything I've learned about cams. I'm sure there is more into the fine tuning etc.. but for general WOT doesn't seem to make that much of a diff on the grind going NA vs. Boost.
Yes, that was interesting but if it were true then why would FCA basically run a "boost" cam on the 6.2? I mean there is not that much difference in lift and intake duration between a 6.2 and 6.4 cam. Only difference is the exhaust has more duration. In the episode you are referring to, Engine Masters ran a fixed cam set-up but can that be extrapolated to VVT engine? I say no. All I know is going from a 5.7 cam to a 6.2 cam really woke up the engine. I am just glad they are finally taking interest in the modern hemi and used an aftermarket engine management system to control VVT and the electronic throttle body rather than locking the cam and tossing on a carb. Can't wait for more.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should have guess that someone else already linked the video I was referencing above.

I don't remember watching the one you linked, I do remember one of his articles but at the time he bypassed the ETC and rigged a manual control to it.

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
672 Posts
I don't remember watching the one you linked, I do remember one of his articles but at the time he bypassed the ETC and rigged a manual control to it.
Been a couple of days since I watched the Holdener episode, but I would bet the data he used in the video was from that article.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,317 Posts
Camshaft selection is more complicated than can be covered in a forum post. Maybe I can summarize it this way: there are reasons the OEMs do what they do and there are reasons that hot-rodders do what they do and they are usually different reasons.

You can put boost to any cam and the cam that makes the most power without boost will also be the cam that makes the most power with boost, excepting some weird turbo combinations where backpressure exceeds boost pressure and overlap is extreme.

If you're shoving air in with a supercharger, you automatically will have an intake flow bias in the engine. The intake valve and port are also normally larger. So if you want to keep the rpm range and power band the same, you can pick up some performance by only advancing the EVO event.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.