Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’ve got a new crate 392 engine running the mopar wiring kit in an 1968 Dodge Dart ... trying to work out the engine oil pressure PID for the obd2 scanner I’m using ..: I can get all the others ... tacho coolant etc and trying to see the engine oil pressure running an iPad without installing individual mechanics/digital gauges etc so if any one knows the pid for it? Or any other ways to view it on iPads ?
Appreciate the help
Luke

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,717 Posts
Hmm, doesn't one of the apps like Torque show PIDs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve tried the obd2 fusion and then the free(haven’t paid for the upgrade yet ) app car scanner and they have engine oil temp but not pressure .. we know we can read it (professional $3000 scan tool reads it )

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,457 Posts
No PID to obtain oil pressure at least on this this list of PIDs:

I had access to a larger list of PIDs but that reference is no longer available to me. I don't recall seeing a PID in it to specifically obtain oil pressure.

Oil pressure in the form of a CAN message is probably on the bus frequently and with the right OBD2 tool could probably be picked up off the bus and interpreted and the info used to display oil pressure.

Or oll pressure might be available via some manufacturer specific query.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... hasn’t been forthcoming in any internet searches anyway!! Torque pro I think is android so can’t try that app.. and then I think HP tuners scanner works on PC not app wise if I’m correct ?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
I have been able to add an oil pressure PID to my datalogs in the past, but it returned values in kPa instead of PSI so I didn’t keep it.

I’ll see if I can find that PID again and reply with it’s name if I do.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I have been able to add an oil pressure PID to my datalogs in the past, but it returned values in kPa instead of PSI so I didn’t keep it.

I’ll see if I can find that PID again and reply with it’s name if I do.
You are probably joking but to convert kPa to psi multiple kPa by 0.145038.

"Service" 9 with the right PID in the message might return oil pressure but it would not be consistent from brand to brand and may not be consistent from vehicle model to vehicle model.

Some years ago I wanted oil temperature from my Cayman S. While I had access to a number of car maker OBD2 data, commands, responses, etc., Porsche was the sole company that did not make any of this info available through the source of this info used by other companies.

Tech had the car connected to a Porsche diagnostics computer and oil temperature and pressure was available in the stream of data -- pages and pages -- the diagnostic computer was able to obtain from the car's various controllers including the engine controller. The tech printed out the page of data that contained the info I was interested in.

(Since then the Porsche diagnostics computer limits what can be printed out by the tech. The tech can view the data necessary for the service or diagnostics but the bulk of the data is kept "secret" and transmitted from the car to the factory.)

But I did not have the PID and other info necessary to send to the engine controller for this data. I had a way to listen on the car's OBD2 bus and capture various message traffic but the opportunity to be there and do this when the tech was working on the car and had the diagnostic computer connected to the car did not happen. The techs were under the gun to meet or beat shop time for whatever the car was in for and and I didn't want to cause them any trouble by getting in their way and slowing them down. It would have taken some time with my requesting the tech issue this or that command capturing the command and the response to the command and then knowing either how to query for this or what to look for to capture the response to this command when the engine controller issued it.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Not joking, I was datalogging oil pressure in kPa briefly.

As soon as I put some pants on, I’ll go see if I can find it on my Trinity.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
.. so wonder how to get the PID code to put in the apps then?
Im not familiar with adding a PID to an app like what you’re talking about. Is it asking for some 4 or 5 letter abbreviation that corresponds to the PID and allows the app to start displaying its output?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
That doesn't necessarily mean there is a PID. I note while there is a PID (0x1F) for engine run time (in seconds) since engine start and total engine run time (0x7F) (units not specified but I seem to recall other sources reporting it hours.h, the number of bytes in the response (13) suggests it might be in seconds) there is still not one showing for engine oil pressure.

But my online reference does not have as complete list of PIDs as a copy I had at work of the (then latest) SAE published OBD2 for cars and light vehicles.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
He ostensibly has a Dodge PCM for the engine, so does he need an SAE PID?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
.. have that mopar wiring kit- which comes Pre tuned and unlocked with pcm, pdm etc and pedal so all just plug and play.. as far as apps go, just noticed in some you can add pid but don’t know if it’s as you said or if it’s code say 732 ? .. emailed chrysler which are helpful as tits on a bull

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
.. have that mopar wiring kit- which comes Pre tuned and unlocked with pcm, pdm etc and pedal so all just plug and play.. as far as apps go, just noticed in some you can add pid but don’t know if it’s as you said or if it’s code say 732 ? .. emailed chrysler which are helpful as tits on a bull
I think the apps just poll the PCM and ask it to provide a list of all the available PIDs it can report data for, and then you select the ones you want from that list. Their names aren’t always easily decipherable, so choosing the ones you want can be trial and error.

If the app is a paid version, I would think it has a manual or some kind of documentation that helps with PID selection. Have you checked its Help section or its website for such information?

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Not yet I’ll have a look, the fusion I think replied with that they are looking at a full chrysler add on with lots more PIDs just waiting on apple to approve
If that’s the case, the app probably isn’t polling the PCM for a list of PIDs to display. It sounds like it is dependent upon a predefined list of PIDs that is loaded (and kept up to date hopefully) by the app maker.

That’s the less desirable of the two scenarios IMO, but not much you can do about it, so that’s just the way it is, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
So if no help there I suppose it’s mechanical gauge or HP tuners on some sort of windows tablet ?
I can’t imagine the oil pressure data is going to be that difficult to obtain for a crate engine. It’s pretty critical, it has to be there, somewhere.

If the current app doesn’t come through for you, try a different one. Surely there is at least one that will be able to provide that data output on an iPad.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts