Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Scat Pack Shaker 392 Hemi and need to know if you have to use the 0W40 Synthetic Oil or can you use something else. the 0W40 seems to be hard to find to buy in bulk. Want to save a few dollars on oil changes and can do that if I bring my own oil. Dealership is charging $18.28 a litre for it and that is pretty high. Would like to stay synthetic but need to know if it is ok to use a different oil such as 20W40 or something that will also be acceptable. Don't want to void warranty by using an oil that should not be used. :smile:

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have a 2017 Scat Pack Shaker 392 Hemi and need to know if you have to use the 0W40 Synthetic Oil or can you use something else. the 0W40 seems to be hard to find to buy in bulk. Want to save a few dollars on oil changes and can do that if I bring my own oil. Dealership is charging $18.28 a litre for it and that is pretty high. Would like to stay synthetic but need to know if it is ok to use a different oil such as 20W40 or something that will also be acceptable. Don't want to void warranty by using an oil that should not be used. :smile:
Use the oil recommended in your owners manual. Dodge recommends it for a reason. Saving a few dollars on the oil will cost you a lot more when the engine has a problem. If you can't afford the oil, trade in the car now and save yourself a lot more money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no intentions of sacrificing anything for a few extra bucks but you can't seem to find it anywhere except at the dealership. I still want to use the same oil but not at their cost when I should be able to buy it retail much cheaper. I figure they are buying 1 liter bottles and then upcharging me for it. If you know of where I can find some at a retail outlet like Auto Source, Canadian Tire, Napa or some other place, please let me know and thanks for the response.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Canadian tire has 4.4l jugs Mobil1 0W40 for 25 bucks right now just saw it this morning great price for here in Canada

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I'm not in Canada, but our local (small) Napa has it in quarts here. It is what would be around $13.00 a quart up there. That appears to be what Canadian Tire shows Penzoil 0w40 for on their website. It's not a cheap oil, but neither is your engine.

Amazon show 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 for $23 here in the US. I'm not sure if they have distribution up there, or if it would have to go through customs, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Are there no Walmarts? Well, you really have no discretion here. If the oil changes are too much don't wait for brake time. Dealers around here are about $99. US. Nothing of these reeks of cheap. But SOOO worth it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
How do you put gas in it if the correct oil is too expensive?

3000 miles divided by 20 miles per gallon= 150 gallons. If you have a heavy right foot you would use more fuel.

150 gallons X $3.25 a gallon(my last fill up price)= $487.50 in fuel. I change my oil at 3000mi, Amsoil 0w-40 signature at $15 a quart X 7= $105

Mobil 1 is 1/2 the price of Amsoil here. Hard to fathom not using the proper oil.

cheers

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
How do you put gas in it if the correct oil is too expensive?

3000 miles divided by 20 miles per gallon= 150 gallons. If you have a heavy right foot you would use more fuel.

150 gallons X $3.25 a gallon(my last fill up price)= $487.50 in fuel. I change my oil at 3000mi, Amsoil 0w-40 signature at $15 a quart X 7= $105

Mobil 1 is 1/2 the price of Amsoil here. Hard to fathom not using the proper oil.

cheers
20 mpg??? I WISH! Try 14-15.

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
Both O'Reillys / Shucks / Checkers - you can order and store will get from the distribution center.

Also can order from walmart online and pick up in your local store you designate.

Don't see the SRT Ow40 on shelves and occasionally will the the Euro formula Ow40 Pennzoil turn up, but that's different characteristic from the "SRT" forumulation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
20 mpg??? I WISH! Try 14-15.
well then, 3000 miles divided by 15mpg = 200 gallons X $3.25= $650

Again, how is the correct oil not affordable?:nerd:

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
He probably buys 87 oct gas
OP, you're not looking hard enough.

Down goes OP, down goes OP. (Howard Cossell doing down goes Frazier.......I saw that live)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Order it online great saving with Jeg's or Summit racing. And they are right do not mess with oil's viscosity, use the recommended oil. Motor clearances are very tight and thicker oil may harm the motor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry OP, you're wrong on that one. Guess you really don't care about what you spend buddy. I do and that is how I was able to afford to buy the car of my dreams. I just want to treat it right but still look for a saving along the way. Don't feel it's right that a dealership should gouge a client on the price of the oil. The shop rate by the way is $145.00 per hour. How much of that do you think the mechanic gets. I know it's only an oil change and I can do it myself, but I believe in proper service and keeping someone employed, not spending money needlessly. If you think it's ok to have a dealership overcharge for the product, keep doing business there. Hey it's your money and who am I to question how you spend it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No intention of being cheap. Just thought the price of the oil was high at the dealership. Am sold on synthetic and what has to be used and no problem to pay the price, but hey, if you can get it for 2/3 of the price, why not? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
No intention of being cheap. Just thought the price of the oil was high at the dealership. Am sold on synthetic and what has to be used and no problem to pay the price, but hey, if you can get it for 2/3 of the price, why not? Thanks.
No I don't want to spend that either, even if it was Canadian money. I buy my own and bring it to a service station I know they just do the labor for $15. Give me a receipt. Buy you can't just change viscosity!!! Well you didn't know, asked and found out. Just freaks us out! Lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts