Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trinity should be at my place Monday. So today I popped in the Jet 180 stay so it would be ready to go.....but
I'm driving around today and noticed the car is not getting over about 195 degrees. Engine oil temp was around 190-192. I figure since I was moving it was keeping it cooler.
So I stopped In a parking lot and let the car idle for 10+ mins and the engine oil temp never went past 195...
The fans kept cycling on and off.
The car definitely had the stock 203 stat evidenced by the temps yesterday. On hot days it was normal to see 210-220 in the engine oil temp and 215-220 operating temp.
I just got the car about a month ago and I'm really hoping there isn't any tuning/fan temp changes currently in it???
I have no way to put the stock tune back if there is.
Should I be worried??

Runs great but wtf. Yesterday my engine oil temp was 210-220 depending. It's 80 and a bit muggy today in Chicago. Same yesterday.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
260 Posts
Not a problem at all, yesterday it was about 95 degrees here in El Paso and cruising around yesterday and stopping at a few stop lights my engine oil temp was about 222 degrees and my water temp got up to 192 with a 180 stat. The engine oil is design to run at extreme temps so I wouldn't worry too much about it. And my water temps usually don't go over 192 until I turn on the A/C and it gets up to about 210. Hope this helps! I have a 2010 RT with a SRT radiator.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I'm not worried about the temps at all.
My only concern is if there is already some tuning in the car.
I popped the 180 stat in only cause I have the trinity coming.
A 180 stat alone does nothing if you can't program the fans. So when I saw it running much cooler with no tuning it made me worry that there might be some tuning in it. If so--- not sure how I get the tune back to stock.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ok got cha if the car is married to another device you will be able to tell once your diablo arrives and if it is i believe they are ways to get back to your stock tune I would call diablo tech and see what they can do.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I'm not worried about the temps at all.
My only concern is if there is already some tuning in the car.
I popped the 180 stat in only cause I have the trinity coming.
A 180 stat alone does nothing if you can't program the fans. So when I saw it running much cooler with no tuning it made me worry that there might be some tuning in it. If so--- not sure how I get the tune back to stock.

You'll know as soon as you hook your trinity to it if it has a tune as your tune will be called modified. A stock tune will have something like PCM_05035348AD. If it has been tweaked (even tires sizes changed) it will have the word modified in the title.
The only time a 180 stat won't run cooler is when you are sitting in traffic. As long as you're rolling, you are getting benefits form the 180 stat even though your fans haven't been reduced. My '08 Jeep GC fans run off of the power steering piump and there is no way to adjust when they lock up but I have a 180 stat and benefit from it 90% of the time.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Agreed. I'm pretty sure people who say running a 180 tstat without tuning to adjust the fans is pointless...obviously haven't done it.

If you had your air conditioning on your fans were running anyway(it will still do that with the tune), so when you were moving of course it would have been close to 190, when you parked, it you weren't pushing the engine it should have hit maybe 210(lower of the a/c and fans were kept on), but without revving it I would expect those 190s oil temps.

BTW 212 is boiling/flash point for your oil, you want to send it at least into the 220-230s every week or so from spirited driving. Mobil 1 can go over 300 without a problem, not that I have ever done it, but 250-270 oil temps is typical for these cars on track days I think.

Keep in mind when you start tuning and setting your fan temps, you will find that the jet 180 goes to 187-188 and then backs off to 185-6 or so. The coolest you can hit with it is maybe 182-3 on the freeway. I bring this up because your car needs at least 7 degrees of room to cool off from the fan-on temperature, and if you set your fan-on temperatures too low, it will never shut off once it is triggered on. If you set it at 192, then you at least need to get down to 185(which can be tough to do unless you hit the interstate for a bit) so then you drive around with your car always sounding like a helicopter wanting to take off. This is especially annoying if you like to cruise with the windows down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts