Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
It would probably work fine, but why not stick with the recommended viscosity? If your car is under warranty you risk voiding it if you have motor issues.

·
Super Moderator
14,538 Posts
Its best to stay with the 5W-20 weight as called out in the owner's manual.

The cam phaser (part of the VVT system) depends on oil pressure to do its job.
-if the operation is out of the range, it will throw error codes and could potentially put the vehicle into "limp home" mode

PS: any 3.6, 5.7, 6.4 engine has VVT - and each of these engines have their specific weights of oil recommended by FCA

3.6L V6 - 5W-20 [MS-6395 FCA spec]
5.7L V8 - 5W-20 [MS-6395 FCA spec]
6.4L V8 - 0W-40 [MS-12633 FCA spec]
6.2L V8 - 0W-40 [MS-12633 FCA spec]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oil reason I ask is because, I been reading about the hemi tick and a few people say use 5w30 and the noise goes away. also Can I use 5w-20 and lukes oil stabilizer?

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
If you have an automatic transmission you probably need to stay with the 5W-20 or it could set a code an affect the MDS lifters.

With the 6-speed you could run 0W-40 and FCA even recommended it to help quiet the tick but it normally doesn't help, even some 392s tick and they all run 0W-40.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
576 Posts
The oil reason I ask is because, I been reading about the hemi tick and a few people say use 5w30 and the noise goes away. also Can I use 5w-20 and lukes oil stabilizer?
I had quite a tick in my 6.4 using 0W/40.
After switching to the correct type of 0W/40, the tick disappeared.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
1,940 Posts
Can I use 5w-30 synthetic oil(Amsoil) instead of the recommended 5w-20?
If you go on Amsoil's web site and enter your vehicle's info, it will give your the correct fluid weights and pricing. Be sure to use their Signature oil as it's the absolute best.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
royal purple helped with my wifes R/T tick..dont know if it was the oil itself or the fact it was simply new oil..but it was noticable change. if you are due for an oil change, try a different brand but in the same recommended wieght, see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just did the 2nd oil change on my '17 R/T. I'm using Pennzoil Platinum 5W20, not the Ultra Platinum, which is a full synth and meets MS-6395 as Hal H mentions. 15k miles in 9 months and no tick so far!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts