Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay I am coming from the Corvette world and I have temporarily dropped myself into a 2011 M3.
I like the car but I am finding things out that I did not expect about it and looking for something else now.

First, I love to modify cars and work on them. I modified my 2008 Corvette and was interested in maybe doing some things to the M3 when I found out this:

1. BMW does not have a service manual for this car. No one makes one either...you can pay 250 a month online info....HELL NO...
So no torque specs, no disassembly information nothing. So your at the mercy of the dealership service department. Cant live with that or the fact that I cant modify myself.

2. The M3 S65 engine has main bearing issues. This compounds my concern.

3. $$$$$ Everything costs on this car, a simple exhaust on it could have you in a supercharger in a Vette. Cant live with that either.

No service manual + high cost+ bearing issues = trade in...lol

So I have narrowed down my potential purchases to:

1. Challenger SRT8 2011+ with 470 HP
2. Camaro SS
3. Mustang GT

All these cars have service manuals, tons of relatively low cost after market performance parts.

I am now looking to see if they have engine problems of any kind like the M3. I know the Coyote 5.0 Mustang has issues with the #8 Cylinder so its out. Leaving the Camaro and SRT8.

Sorry for the ramble...here is my question:

Is there any documented internal engine problems with the SRT8 2011+ engine?? Oil pump failure? Valves, bearings, pistons???

Thanks everyone....LOVE DODGE I owned a SRT4 neon for a long while and loved it....

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
Okay I am coming from the Corvette world and I have temporarily dropped myself into a 2011 M3.
I like the car but I am finding things out that I did not expect about it and looking for something else now.

First, I love to modify cars and work on them. I modified my 2008 Corvette and was interested in maybe doing some things to the M3 when I found out this:

1. BMW does not have a service manual for this car. No one makes one either...you can pay 250 a month online info....HELL NO...
So no torque specs, no disassembly information nothing. So your at the mercy of the dealership service department. Cant live with that or the fact that I cant modify myself.

3. $$$$$ Everything costs on this car, a simple exhaust on it could have you in a supercharger in a Vette. Cant live with that either.

2. Camaro SS
3. Mustang GT

All these cars have service manuals, tons of relatively low cost after market performance parts.

I am now looking to see if they have engine problems of any kind like the M3. I know the Coyote 5.0 Mustang has issues with the #8 Cylinder so its out. Leaving the Camaro and SRT8.

Is there any documented internal engine problems with the SRT8 2011+ engine?? Oil pump failure? Valves, bearings, pistons???
The only 'potential' are timing chain guides / tensioner on the '11 and early '12 models - these share the same system as the '09-early '12 5.7s. There haven't been that many high mileage '11 SRTs since many of these are probably weekend "garage queen" cars.

Some these might be nearing that threshold (issue has appeared in the 40k to 65k range), but not any reported yet.

In spring '12 Chrysler (significantly) revised the chain guide shoe a 3rd time with an aluminum part w/ nylon overlay...the earlier design was all (black) plastic on the original design and the 2nd revision was all (white) plastic material...this issues has surfaced mainly on the automatic trans applications - no word of the 6-speed 'stick cars having the issue.

Its been a hot-button debate (you can read about it here on this forum)
about the MDS system (auto only) and the VVT system stressing the (old design) guide, guide failure and subsequently the timing chain failing since its slapping around and likely jumping teeth on the sprockets.

Here's the 33.6K example of a 'stick guide and the new part - I did a cam swap and changed mine out since I had those areas opened up...my fingernail will barely catch the groove worn in there. So I'm not concerned as far as the 'stick cars with the TC guides - IMO, they'd probably last a very long time.

Other than that, these Chrysler engines aren't highly stressed like the M3 engines (I remember the S54 engine debacle in the '02-'03 years)...that was a mess and you still have to buy the 'special oil' sold through BWM dealers to keep the bottom end from grenading.
The SMG M3's were really prone to that issue.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts

2. Camaro SS
3. Mustang GT

Thanks everyone....LOVE DODGE I owned a SRT4 neon for a long while and loved it....
SRT all the way. A Auto SRT with the right Drag Radials and a tune can run 11s in 1K DA.
I've yet to loose to a comparably modded SS, 5.0 or boss well once when I left traction control on. Beaten many new 6.2 vetts (manauls and street tires) haven't raced a stingray yet.
Cobras on street tires can be beat too as long as you cut a decent light. They will trap 10 MPH more though.
Wouldn't worry about the timing chain. Seems to be more of an issue with the 5.7s plus one of the first things you'll due is get a good custom tune wich will disable MDS (autos only).
SRTs are tough and can take it. 250 passes on my '12 with no issues.
Then you can always SC it when you bored with it N/A'd.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks everyone...!!

So this appears to only be a problem on the Autos? Doesn't the manuals use the same timing chain set up? Or is it that lame MDT that causes the problem and manuals don't have it? ...Anyhow sounds like a non event for the manual newer models so awesome!!! ...Also MDT would never be used by me anyhow LOL...

The VVT system on the BMW is the Vanos system and it has problems too.

I knew Dodge would come through for me....gotta soft spot for Dodge...loved my Dodge SRT4 never had engine problems easy to work on...Dodge is the best...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now tell me guys....new core 2013 srt8 or 2011 or 2012 SRT8 with all the fixins ? ....probably cost me the same amount....manual of course on both.

Which would you buy?

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
Now tell me guys....new core 2013 srt8 or 2011 or 2012 SRT8 with all the fixins ? ....probably cost me the same amount....manual of course on both.

Which would you buy?
It depends on what equipment or priorities you have.

On the CORE most of the features, bluetooth, higher power audio, Electronics convenience group, rear park sensors, are optional.
If you add a number of options, you start closing in the 'regular' SRT model that already has these as standard.

The extended EVIC isn't on the CORE which has more SRT specific menus.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Thanks everyone...!!

So this appears to only be a problem on the Autos? Doesn't the manuals use the same timing chain set up? Or is it that lame MDT that causes the problem and manuals don't have it? ...Anyhow sounds like a non event for the manual newer models so awesome!!! ...Also MDT would never be used by me anyhow LOL...

The VVT system on the BMW is the Vanos system and it has problems too.

I knew Dodge would come through for me....gotta soft spot for Dodge...loved my Dodge SRT4 never had engine problems easy to work on...Dodge is the best...
The TC issue is a 5.7 (R/T) auto issue when the MDS kicks in and out. Again, your tune will turn of MDS.
Do your homework with what your plans for the car are. The manual SRTs are more fun to drive and are better on road courses. The Autos are 1/4 mile monsters. The Nag1 auto only shifts twice in the 1/4 and generally are .3 to .5 quicker than the manual.
So if you're a weekend drag racer go with the auto.
Road course or spirited country road driver, the manual is more fun.
Test drive them both. The stock tunes in both has a lot of tq mgmnt which pulls timing and fuel at shift so keep in mind that your tune will greatly reduce this and make the car much more fun to drive.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
If you want to eek out the last bit pf performance in the straight line (consistently) and
be light on the drivetrain then your choice is simple, Automatic...

Want to go 11's? Drag Radials + Stall Converter.

The drivetrain on these cars will break (drive shafts, half shafts, differential etc) if
they are put under a lot of shock loading and being an IRS car they have a tendency
to hop and this will break parts. The Auto's don't do this as bad as the stick cars.

If you decide to go the force induction route, plan on replacing at least the pistons
with quality forged aftermarket units. The rods will hold up fine up to about 700 horse
but if you are hanging heavier forged slugs then I would swap rods and do billet main
caps and then you should be able to push a fair amount of boost through it, more
than enough that you will at that point need an aftermarket driveshaft, half shafts and
an upgraded transmission.

As for the timing chain issue... Lots of documented 5.7 failures, no 6.4 failures as of
yet, but it is the same timing set. I haven't run MDS on my auto other than the drive
home the day I bought it. (Can be disabled with a Predator Tuner)

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Welcome aboard!
I would get the 2012 392 because of the 3 mode suspension which isn't available on the core.

Since I've been on this forum, the only common issue I had seen on SRT's is the popping shafts, but this is mainly due to the hop on manual cars (When modded and under load as mentioned above).

Regarding the timing chain issue, I haven't stumbled upon any type of Challengers other than 5.7L R/T's (none 2011+)

Here is the thread that was mentioned above:
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/timing-chain-failure-dodge-challenger-69216/

Good luck and please keep us posted!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts