Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know if theyre going to ever put some diffrent motors in these cars? probably to follow the 300c/magnum/charger trend theyre'll be : 3.5 v6, regular v8 hemi, 6.1 hemi.... i mean i know theres the 500 hp 392 *crosses fingers* but is that going to be the next SRT motor? will there be two SRT motor options?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've read and heard a lot of speculation regarding the 392. I would hope they make that an option at minimum...maybe 2 SRT's. Another question, that I would have is...are they going to go with MDS on the 6.1L. I know that is flamed in some forums; but, there are those ever-increasing gov't emission standards that must be met. Heck, built it with a cutoff like the SRT8 ESP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
do not do the mds. make an engine like they should be all eight pumping. if your worried about gas mileage don't buy it, get a honda.

1,931 Posts
I am not fond of the MDS because of the sound the RT I had made when ever it was in MDS mode (after the Magnaflow install). Most of my driving is in town so I have noticed almost no difference in MPG between the RT and the SRT. Agree with HH that an off/on switch for the MDS would go over well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
smkn300 said:
The new SRT versions of the Challenger should be 6.4 with and without a blower!!
Planning on setting some Interstate land speed records? :D Can you imagine if they did build it from the factory with a blower? Like stock factory 440 6 packs. They all used to do some amazing things.

Reactions: RT23

·
Registered
16 Posts
HIGH_HEMI said:
Planning on setting some Interstate land speed records? :D Can you imagine if they did build it from the factory with a blower? Like stock factory 440 6 packs. They all used to do some amazing things.
No, but a factory 10 - 11 second street ride would be somethin':D

·
Registered
159 Posts
smkn300 said:
No, but a factory 10 - 11 second street ride would be somethin':D
I always wonder at what point they put a stop on development for the public for safety reasons and meeting gov't regulations. Kinda liked it more when ya bought a car and if ya had an accident...well, ya had an accident. You wrecked, your fault.

·
Registered
16 Posts
HIGH_HEMI said:
I always wonder at what point they put a stop on development for the public for safety reasons and meeting gov't regulations. Kinda liked it more when ya bought a car and if ya had an accident...well, ya had an accident. You wrecked, your fault.
I agree, no one told me about this ESP thing when I ordered my C SRT8, I was naieve enough to think you get to play with the whole 425 ponnies. But big brother doesn't think we can handle it!!:mad: Or they are afraid we'll break it before warranty is up!

·
Registered
159 Posts
smkn300 said:
I agree, no one told me about this ESP thing when I ordered my C SRT8, I was naieve enough to think you get to play with the whole 425 ponnies. But big brother doesn't think we can handle it!!:mad: Or they are afraid we'll break it before warranty is up!
Do you have your CSRT8 yet? You probably do know this, but if you hold the ESP button down for 5 sec. it totally disables it for the SRT8's. Please disregard this notice if you have prior knowledge.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
HIGH_HEMI said:
Do you have your CSRT8 yet? You probably do know this, but if you hold the ESP button down for 5 sec. it totally disables it for the SRT8's. Please disregard this notice if you have prior knowledge.:)
Thanks for the info, I have tried it a couple of times and it does make a big difference. I have read, however, on the other forum that it does not totally disengage the torque management, it just gives you a longer time before taking over again? I'm not sure if this is true or not. I will have to look into it further, I'd like to play with all the ponnies I paid for!!;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
smkn300 said:
Thanks for the info, I have tried it a couple of times and it does make a big difference. I have read, however, on the other forum that it does not totally disengage the torque management, it just gives you a longer time before taking over again? I'm not sure if this is true or not. I will have to look into it further, I'd like to play with all the ponnies I paid for!!;)
The SRT8 has total disable on the ESP. The R/T does leave 20% on when you turn it off..so it still comes on when you start to lose it. SRT8 lets you lose it. TNCharger has an SRT8..pm him, he could tell you more about it (ESP) than I.

·
Registered
492 Posts
HIGH_HEMI said:
I've read and heard a lot of speculation regarding the 392. I would hope they make that an option at minimum...maybe 2 SRT's. Another question, that I would have is...are they going to go with MDS on the 6.1L. I know that is flamed in some forums; but, there are those ever-increasing gov't emission standards that must be met. Heck, built it with a cutoff like the SRT8 ESP.
All I ask is for a HEMI w/o MDS...whether it be a 5.7L and/or a 'six point whatever liter'. :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
The 6.1L HEMI does not have MDS, and I seriously doubt the 6.4L will either. The 6.4L HEMI is also going to be offered as a crate engine through Mopar Performance, and will probably start off life that way according to rumors from SEMA, where the engine was debuted. I don't think you will see both the 6.1 and the 6.4 offered in the SRT version, most likely just the 6.4L. They need the 6.4L to have any hopes of competing against the Ford Shelby 500 (which Ford promised is going to have upwards of 450hp and under $40k).

It's my understanding that the earliest models of SRT8 vehicles (05's) would not disable the ESP completely, however the latest ones do. The ability to completely switch off the ESP started with the 06 models I believe.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Gotcha, I thought all the SRT8's could disable ESP. Didn't know about the earlier models. Thanks for the information. smkn300 might have an earlier version.

Reactions: RT23
1,931 Posts
HIGH_HEMI said:
Gotcha, I thought all the SRT8's could disable ESP. Didn't know about the earlier models. Thanks for the information. smkn300 might have an earlier version.
I have read the same..seems like maybe aug or sept before the change. My SRT Charger completely disables HAL if you push the ESP button a second time and hold till the chime is heard and the info ctr says ESP off. Owners manual says should only be used off road. Yeh, sure.:D

·
Registered
159 Posts
TNCHARGER said:
I have read the same..seems like maybe aug or sept before the change. My SRT Charger completely disables HAL if you push the ESP button a second time and hold till the chime is heard and the info ctr says ESP off. Owners manual says should only be used off road. Yeh, sure.:D
Off road???? Didn't know they were also 'Trail' rides!:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
HIGH_HEMI said:
There are no 2005 Charger SRT8's. I have driven the Magnum SRT8 and the 300C SRT8 at the SRTTrackExperience and both of those had the 3rd position (100% disable).

·
Registered
159 Posts
That's right...doh, wasn't paying enough attention. He did say he had a CSRT8. So yes, he can disable. Might just not know when to push and hold, or whatever.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts