Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 2016 Challenger RT and lately have been having startup issues. Once after i pumped gas it had difficulty starting but eventually got there. Now every now and then, it seems to be starting quicker than normal. Maybe about 1 second and it starts up but sounds like it struggled to do so. I have been trying to search the problem but am lost.

·
Registered
2019 R/T Plus, Octane Red, Auto
15 Posts
Why are you pumping the gas pedal?
Just try with foot on the brake pedal and push the start button. Do not pump gas pedal.

So i have a 2016 Challenger RT and lately have been having startup issues. Once after i pumped gas it had difficulty starting but eventually got there. Now every now and then, it seems to be starting quicker than normal. Maybe about 1 second and it starts up but sounds like it struggled to do so. I have been trying to search the problem but am lost.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I wasnt pumping the gas pedal, I just meant after i pumped gas at the gas station.
You stopping at the first click I hope, never top off the tank.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 72/340

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
674 Posts
Why are you pumping the gas pedal?
Just try with foot on the brake pedal and push the start button. Do not pump gas pedal.
That was my thought. I never pump the gas pedal to start mine.....or any of our vehicles. That was a thing back in the 70's and beyond.

EDIT...nevermind, i saw the response.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You stopping at the first click I hope, never top off the tank.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yes, but it only struggled to start that one time really. Now it just seems to start quicker than normal maybe 30% of the time.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Your battery is coming up to 5 year mark. You might have lower amperage causing hesitation when starting (if worn down from full charge of 12.6 volt mark). Stop by your local auto parts store and borrow volt gauge. Check cranking voltage remaining during start up. Anything below 11.16 when cranking indicates thin battery plates/discharge condition.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,268 Posts
Your battery is coming up to 5 year mark. You might have lower amperage causing hesitation when starting (if worn down from full charge of 12.6 volt mark). Stop by your local auto parts store and borrow volt gauge. Check cranking voltage remaining during start up. Anything below 11.16 when cranking indicates thin battery plates/discharge condition.
The OP gets hard start only after filling the tank. Another member recently had this issue on a 2020 model and dealer confirmed evap purge solenoid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The OP gets hard start only after filling the tank. Another member recently had this issue on a 2020 model and dealer confirmed evap purge solenoid.
Actually yesterday, it didnt want to turn over two separate times. Once around lunch time and once around 5:30. Both times i had to try twice to get it to turn over and it struggled for a few seconds to come to life. The filling the tank occurrence was just the first time it happened.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
Actually yesterday, it didnt want to turn over two separate times. Once around lunch time and once around 5:30. Both times i had to try twice to get it to turn over and it struggled for a few seconds to come to life. The filling the tank occurrence was just the first time it happened.
That reads like a weak battery. A 2016 MY could have a battery nearing 7 years old. Under the best usage conditions 7 years is near the end of a lead/acid battery's life. Yeah, some one has had one last 20 years but a unicorn battery does not represent the entire population of batteries.

You need to be sure the charging system is working right not only at engine start and right after but after the engine has been running a while. If the alternator output falls of this can leave the battery with a lower than "normal" charge.

If the charging system checks out you can have the battery checked.

But at 7 years old I'd be inclined to not bother and just replace the battery. My use of my vehicles requires a vehicle start and start with no drama every time I use the vehicle. Thus I'm willing to replace an old battery even if it might have some bit of life left in it. I prefer to not run the battery to the point it fails and leaves me stranded.

Also, a bad battery can have the alternator working harder to replenish its charge. I see no reason to subject a much more expensive alternator to harder working to nurse a much less expensive to replace battery a few more miles.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,268 Posts
Then like Robo stated...check the condition of your battery. I have a 2015 and load test the battery which is still good but I will probably have to replace it soon. Low voltages at startup create problems on these cars.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Yep, old battery is usually the first thing to go on these cars. Typical when experiencing slow crank and car engine is hot; been through 2 of them in 12.5 years. I just replaced my battery week ago. Had to settle with DieHard Gold H7 (Advance Auto $169) this 2nd time instead of Motorcraft Platinum AGM H7 (no one local carries this brand anymore) ... I got 8 years out of that AGM version.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,417 Posts
Like I say to every post like this.
Check voltage, check voltage, then ... CHECK VOLTAGE.

1. Check it with car off
  2. check it with it turned on but not running, and all lights/fans on, hit the brake pedal for brake lights too
  3. then check it WHILE CRANKING.
Post those 3 numbers, that will tell the story. If always over 12, even while cranking, probably not the battery. If always under 12, needs charging. If starts mid 12s, then drops to 11 or under, shot battery.
Anything else, might need thinking more.
Also, when running, should always be above 12.8, typically mid 13s or higher.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, will check it after work today and update, thanks everyone. Also it does seem to be worse when its hot outside and been sitting in the sun. In the mornings for work it cranks just fine and at night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Small update, check engine light came on when starting it up for lunch and its staying on. So will find out about that too.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Small update, check engine light came on when starting it up for lunch and its staying on. So will find out about that too.
Greeting demoore2016,
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this. If you do choose to take your vehicle to your dealer for diagnosis, please feel free to reach out to us here via a private message. We are happy to help!

Rob
Dodge Cares

1 - 18 of 18 Posts