Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 60,000 on my 2016 SXT Plus. I took it in to a trusted shop where I get all my work done for an oil change and asked them to go over the car and was advised I needed a coolant change. After the change I noticed the temperature gauge is acting differently then before. It always stayed just a little under the halfway mark. When I was stuck in traffic it might go up to halfway.

Now when I’m on the freeway in open traffic if stays at halfway all the time and sometimes flicks up and down between halfway and a little above halfway but it never goes above that. I set the display to the temperature gauge and it’s flicking up and down to a high of 235 for a split second before it drops back to halfway.

Weird thing is it only seems to go to 235 at freeway speeds and not on city streets.

I know that according to the maintenance schedule the coolant isn’t scheduled to be changed until 100,000 miles. I mentioned that to the store manager and he told me the coolant had a bad smell so he advised it should be changed. I didn’t object because I think it’s sometimes a good idea to have some things serviced before the scheduled interval. I let him know that the temperature gauge is acting differently than before so he said to bring it back and he’d look at it.

I love this car so I always pay attention to how it’s running and know every idiosyncrasy concerning how it runs.

Even though it’s not technically overheating it is acting differently than before. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
I guess the question here is what type of coolant did they replace it with? I'm going to assume it wasn't a Mopar coolant. To be honest, I have a 2016 SXT too, but when it comes time to change the coolant, I'll leave it to the dealership.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,204 Posts
Sounds like improper procedure and you have air in the system.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Agree.

Another explanation but not as likely is the temperature sensor connection is loose. I know from another car a loose coolant sensor connector can result in a brief jump in temperature -- to the max. In the case of this car the temperature gauge -- needle style -- didn't react because the glitch was very brief just a second or two at best. (I was data logging the engine telemetry and spotted the max temperature readings scattered through a number of trips.)

Not sure with the OP's car the temperature sensor even gets messed with but it might be worth the time to check the connector is secure.

At the same time with the engine cool the OP can check the coolant level.

If there is air (pockets) in the system however the level may be ok but of course there are air pockets.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
I know that according to the maintenance schedule the coolant isn’t scheduled to be changed until 100,000 miles. I mentioned that to the store manager and he told me the coolant had a bad smell so he advised it should be changed.
A few points I’d like to interject...

If it’s not broke, don’t “fix” it.

I’ve never heard of any reputable shop basing a coolant change on aroma alone.

Apparently this shop is “digging for gold” and trying to make an easy buck. Any shop that would suggest a coolant change based on aroma alone....probably doesn’t know the difference between HOAT and OAT....so I’ll bet the coolant change was botched with both the incorrect coolant AND the incorrect procedure.

Additionally....your owners manual calls for 10 year / 150,000 mile intervals. Have no idea where you got the 100k interval above...

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
Guess that begs the question, did they use the correct coolant?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few points I’d like to interject...

If it’s not broke, don’t “fix” it.

I’ve never heard of any reputable shop basing a coolant change on aroma alone.

Apparently this shop is “digging for gold” and trying to make an easy buck. Any shop that would suggest a coolant change based on aroma alone....probably doesn’t know the difference between HOAT and OAT....so I’ll bet the coolant change was botched with both the incorrect coolant AND the incorrect procedure.

Additionally....your owners manual calls for 10 year / 150,000 mile intervals. Have no idea where you got the 100k interval above...
View attachment 994754
Interesting, because when you look at the chart it says at the top left, Mileage or Years whichever occurs first. So I went across the chart and the check mark for coolant change is at the spot where it says 100,000 miles/ 10years.

But I also see where it says in the lower left 150,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
My coolant won’t stay in 10 years. FCA says Pennzoil. Won’t see that either.
I’ll agree that it’s better to over-maintain than under maintain.....but 4 year old / 60k coolant changes are a tad premature, especially if a shop is basing it on aroma only. Who smells the coolant during any kind of routine service?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I guess the question here is what type of coolant did they replace it with? I'm going to assume it wasn't a Mopar coolant. To be honest, I have a 2016 SXT too, but when it comes time to change the coolant, I'll leave it to the dealership.
You bring up some good questions. But I also used to be a dealer only person when it came to getting my car serviced. That was until the dealer started messing up badly and even leaving hardware off that they forgot to reinstall. That’s what brought me to this service center. They even repaired a stripped drain plug for me and let me know about the parts that were missing from my previous vehicle that was only serviced at the dealership

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
But a service center might just use what they use and not what Dodge says to use, and mixing coolants can cause problems. If you have air, that means hotspots can develop in your engine, particularly around the already hotter cylinder head area and that's not good.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,204 Posts
I’ll agree that it’s better to over-maintain than under maintain.....but 4 year old / 60k coolant changes are a tad premature, especially if a shop is basing it on aroma only. Who smells the coolant during any kind of routine service?
My info and my experience is 4 year intervals for coolant drains and refills prolongs the life of the water pump seals, hoses, radiators, etc.

While there is no real risk a block water jacket will corrode a radiator and heater core has very thin walls.

With all my cars I have always changed or had changed the coolant every 4 years and have never had a hose need replacement. Never had a heater core leak. Had one radiator develop a pinhole leak at around 60K miles and maybe just before the coolant was due to be changed.

For all my cars I have had to replace only two water pumps. One was at 172K miles. In this case the bearings got noisy they wore out. The seals were still intact.

The other at around 100K miles. In the case of this car I bought it used with just under 10K miles but it was 6 years old and never had its coolant changed. Shortly after I bought the car the coolant was changed but apparently not in "time". The water pump seals started leaking.

I have never heard the odor of coolant being used to justify a coolant change. A change on time/miles maybe -- this before the appearance of "lifetime coolant" -- and certainly in the case where the coolant shows contamination generally from a head gasket leak or perhaps the wrong antifreeze is used to "top up" the coolant level or possibly someone put the wrong fluid in the coolant. (I know of a case where the brake fluid level was topped up with engine oil -- can't believe this was by accident -- and after a short while the master cyinder and wheel cylinder seals failed.)

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Well......the MoPar coolant utilized since 2013 (10 yr / 150k formulation) certainly has no issues surviving the 150k mark without issues.

I run commercially, and the 150k coolant changes came up fast on both my 2014 RAM 3500 DRW pickup with the Cummins diesel and my current 2018 RAM 4500 with Cummins diesel. I traded in the 2014 with 362k and zero cooling system issues, short of a couple of water pump replacements. The 2018 4500 is at 233k miles and is still good. Both trucks had the coolant changed at / near the 150k intervals.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
737 Posts
Thats all good too but the dealer is always a lot more expensive for one, and another, they arent always honest. Ive worked at a dealer and the guys working in the service shop make money by selling you extras.....like coolant changes, brakes, fan belts, and such.

I brought my Daughters car to the dealer where she got it used to get a free oil change and while waiting, the turd at the front desk called me up and told me the air filter was dirty. .........that i had already changed.
Showed it to me and it wasnt even the right filter for the car and was telling me they had a special on those for ONLY $69....for a Air Filter that cost me $12 at Auto zone.

Took my Grand Cherokee to a Jeep dealer when my hood latch didnt work and felt like it was broke and wouldnt pop the hood open. I figured that couldnt cost that much so why not. Well the guy cam back and said it would be well over $200 for a $21 part i saw on ebay. I went off on him and guess what?......when i got home i tried the latch and i worked. It must have come detached or something and he just put it back together and was going to charge me that money.

So sure, take your car to the dealer for basic maintenance. Its not always the best thing to do and something i rarely do. If you dont know anything about maintaining vehicles its a bad idea imo from my experience and from the turds i worked with.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
If they used the wrong coolant you are probably going to have a sludge mess in there shortly if not already. What color is the coolant they used?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sounds like improper procedure and you have air in the system.

More than likely this is your problem. These cars are so hard to get full. Even when you open the bleeder. Check the coolant level when cold. Dont just look at the reservoir take the cap off and look. Top up as needed and issue should resolve itself

1 - 20 of 20 Posts