Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

In my car the engine gets heated while driving at higher rpm on both automatic. When I keep the gas peddle pushed for more than 2 minutes, the engine temperature gets healed more than 50% which shouldnt be the case, any solutions of how to keep the engine cool for better performance?

Thanking in advance,
Alien Cop

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
You can try stuff like "Water Wetter" or "Engine Ice" that you add to your coolant.
Depending on the concentration it's supposed to lower your temps a certain amount of degrees.

You can also try a 180 therm.

Mine gets up to 220 sometimes which is just a hair more than halfway, but then cools down.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
What kind of RPM for two minutes? What is the actual engine temperature? Is it hot outside?

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
That is normal
May be "normal" but doesn't mean it's good for the motor.
That pic posted looks like it's more than halfway on the guage, if it is, that's over 220 degrees!

Heat as you know is the enemy of motors, if you can lower the temp by say 5 to 10 degrees it would help.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
But I do not get the same boost as I get when its in 180 degrees. :( So I am skeptical of changing to lower gears to pull. Will the pull be better in colder engines :( or if I keep the engine temp a quarter way in the gauge, instead of half way.
You'll never keep it a quarter the way on the gauge when at full temp.
You should be able to keep it about halfway though with a 180 therm and/or some coolant additive.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so this was last evening while I was driving back from work. The temp outside was 96 degrees. And the gauge reads slightly less than half. Although it would touch half with full throttle.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

This reduces the acceleration when I give more gas to the engine. I am sure thi is because of the engine heat. Any way to lower the temp little please.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Okay so this was last evening while I was driving back from work. The temp outside was 96 degrees. And the gauge reads slightly less than half. Although it would touch half with full throttle.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

This reduces the acceleration when I give more gas to the engine. I am sure thi is because of the engine heat. Any way to lower the temp little please.
That's less than halfway, you're fine.
I posted above you can try some "Engine Ice" or other radiator additives.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Dude you worry too much. lol
As said in previous posts that's completely normal. These cars are tuned to run hot from the factory. They come with 203* stat and the average temps are around 215*. When you see it go above 230* then start worrying:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
116 Posts
I tried water wetter in my 68 Camaro but didn't make any difference. On some cars the engine fan doesn't kick on till 230 degrees.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I tried water wetter in my 68 Camaro but didn't make any difference. On some cars the engine fan doesn't kick on till 230 degrees.
I've used "Engine Ice" before and it lowered the temps about 5 degrees, it depends what mixture you use, same with the Water Wetter.
230 degrees is too hot imop, car may run ok but an engine running that hot won't last as long as a cooler running one.....especially when it comes to head gaskets.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
96-100 degrees is hot. The car will not make power the way it will on a 70 degree day. I would not worry about the gauge getting to the midway point for short periods of time. If you are concerned about the temperature I would not run the engine at 4,000 RPM on a 100 degree day. I would change oil on the heavy duty engine cycle. If you are really concerned get a bigger radiator. Before you add anything to the coolant I would make sure it is compatible otherwise you might shorten the life of your cooling system significantly.

It could be worse, you could have a late model Z06 corvette on a hot day.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's less than halfway, you're fine.
I posted above you can try some "Engine Ice" or other radiator additives.
Firstly thank you for your reply. Yes, its it just a little less than half a way. But I spoke to some SRT drivers and they said, ideal would be 185-190. So little worried , but having said that, the tmperature outside is too hot. Even though the temperature outside was moderate few weeks ago, the engine temp would remain slight less than halfway. This I would consider somewhere around 210 usually. But when revved, it is around 215 exact.

Please let me know if thats normal.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dude you worry too much. lol
As said in previous posts that's completely normal. These cars are tuned to run hot from the factory. They come with 203* stat and the average temps are around 215*. When you see it go above 230* then start worrying:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yes Sir.

You are absolutely correct , mine runs betweeen 203-215 :) Waow , guess yours the same and hence you immediately got to know what I intend to.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Firstly thank you for your reply. Yes, its it just a little less than half a way. But I spoke to some SRT drivers and they said, ideal would be 185-190. So little worried , but having said that, the tmperature outside is too hot. Even though the temperature outside was moderate few weeks ago, the engine temp would remain slight less than halfway. This I would consider somewhere around 210 usually. But when revved, it is around 215 exact.

Please let me know if thats normal.
Ideal of 185-190 is not at all what these cars are set up to run. I would encourage you to monitor the coolant temp digital readout so you know for sure where you are running versus the gauge which isn't really labeled or linear with respect to where it sits.

Your temps are totally normal. You can do things to run cooler like change the tstat and get a tune to adjust fan settings, but until you do that, expect your car to run at the temps it currently does. Good luck.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ideal of 185-190 is not at all what these cars are set up to run. I would encourage you to monitor the coolant temp digital readout so you know for sure where you are running versus the gauge which isn't really labeled or linear with respect to where it sits.

Your temps are totally normal. You can do things to run cooler like change the tstat and get a tune to adjust fan settings, but until you do that, expect your car to run at the temps it currently does. Good luck.
What is the expected range for coolant temperature?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
What is the expected range for coolant temperature?
Well again, with the stock t-stat, a warmed up car will run at a minimum of 200-203, and will easily run in the 215-220 range when warmed up, and anything up to 230 is normal at which point your high speed fans should kick in and keep you in the 220-230 range.

I run a Jet 180 t-stat during the warm season and the stock t-stat during the winter to try to stay at close to 200 degrees when warmed up, but with the stock tune and fan settings during the summer I see my coolant get into the 220s in town when I'm driving hard. My temp gauge stays close to the middle regardless of that the exact digital readout, it's in the middle from about 185-220 degrees so that's why I say to always check the exact reading...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts