Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Previous owner replaced my 195 degree with a 180 degree coolant thermostat. When replacing the thermostat is it necessary to partially drain the radiator, providing the cooling system is cold? I'm not satisfied with the heater taking so long to warm up this winter. Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
When I changed mine I put a plastic cup under the hose and pulled it, filled up about half of the cup. Your car isn't a 09 torred rt 6sp is it?

·
Premium Member
423 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Leave the overfill cap on, put a plastic bag under the tstat housing (I usually put alot of shop towels around just in case some coolant gets away from the bag)

Loosen the 2 bolts holding the bottle neck, let all the fluid drain into the bag or whatever you have catching the coolant, DO NOT remove the overfill cap you will drain out the entire engine coolant if you do.

Replace tstat, air breather hole at the highest point, the Jet usually comes with a new gasket, replace bottle neck, tighten 2 bolts, re add the fluid that was caught in the bag into the over flow and your done.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Changing the thermostat shouldn't have much effect, if any, on how fast the engine and coolant warm up.

·
Registered
977 Posts
DIY T Stat Install

You can get the T Stat at most auto parts store for under $15.

170 degree - part # 4127 (Motorad # 302-170)
180 degree - part # 4128 (Motorad # 302-180)

Note - if you change the Motorad part number to 7302-1xx you will get the Failsafe version... IE - will stay open in case of a failure.Change the part # to 2000-1xx and you get the Hi Flow version.

But, to make this mod work correctly you will need a $300 Diablo Sport Predator tuner to change the fan temps.

I used a 13 mm socket on 3/8 ratchet with a long extension to remove the T Stat bolts.

Do this mod when the engine is cold and make sure the radiator pressure cap is on tight.

Now pull the engine cover off and tape a 1 qt baggy under the T Stat. Next remove the top bolt, followed by the bottom bolt. You will get maybe 1/2 pint of coolant when you do this.

Next remove the T Stat. You will get pint or more coolant when you doe this. Be aware the T Stat "O" my stay in the housing. Besure to remove it as there should be a new one on the replacement T Stat. If there isn't just install the old one on the new T Stat.

Install the new T Stat with the air bleed hole to the top.

Reinstall the T Stat bolts and tighten.

Return the coolant collected in the baggy to the overflow container. Start the engine and check for leaks.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
VERY good instructions for the non-mechanic such as I but i do not understand your part number descriptions:

170 degree - part # 4127 (Motorad # 302-170)
180 degree - part # 4128 (Motorad # 302-180)

Note - if you change the Motorad part number to 7302-1xx you will get the Failsafe version... IE - will stay open in case of a failure.Change the part # to 2000-1xx and you get the Hi Flow version.

Could you explain further for me? Thank you

·
Registered
977 Posts
If you go to say to Autozone the part# they have is probably 4128 for a 180. But, if that fails at your local shop you can try the Motorad # 302-180 for the standard Tstat, If you want the Fail Safe version then use 7302-180 and for the High Flow version use 2000-180.

Sorry about the confusion.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
If you go to say to Autozone the part# they have is probably 4128 for a 180. But, if that fails at your local shop you can try the Motorad # 302-180 for the standard Tstat, If you want the Fail Safe version then use 7302-180 and for the High Flow version use 2000-180.

Sorry about the confusion.
Got it.. Thanks!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts