Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum. I bought my 2020 5.7 a few months ago, currently have 2100 miles on it.

I started noticing several weeks ago that the Challenger sometimes will have a very rough idle, almost shaking the entire car side to side. A check engine light often accompanies this.

Then tonight I notice a vibration, or stutter, when accelerating. This was followed by the check engine light blinking and the audible ding warning sound.

I’m calling the dealership tomorrow to have it checked out but just wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,441 Posts
The blinking CEL indicates one or more misfires, and it should be addressed as soon as possible. Failure to rectify the cause could cause problems with the catalysts, among other things.

Try to put as few miles as possible between now and when you take it to the dealership. Excessive miles with an active misfire DTC could be noted by the service tech and used later to deny warranty coverage of failed or failing emissions components.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
There have been reports of similar behavior. Not many but some. In a few cases from relatively new vehicles.

The cause has ranged from bad gas to bad engine.

You'll just have to wait and see what the service department turns up.

The blinking CEL is based on my info a signal that the engine is operating in such a manner the converters are at risk of damage. The most common operating condition is an overly rich condition which arises from a "rich" misfire. This supplies raw fuel to the converters which can then burn in the converter and subject it to too high a temperature.

Here's a paste from my Scat Pack's owners manual: "If the MIL is flashing while the vehicle is running, severe catalytic converter damage and power loss will soon occur. Immediate service is required."

I would be very leery about even driving the car to the dealer. You should have road side assistance with the new car. You have some responsibility to avoid operating the vehicle in such a way to cause further damage.

Here's a link to some info about the road side assistance program.

The phone number is at the link, but I will past a copy here: 1-800-363-4869

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

Took it to the dealership this morning and the #1 cylinder is misfiring and the tech got a deactivation code. Not sure what that means. They have to tear down the cylinder head to find out what’s causing the misfires. Won’t know much else until tomorrow.
It just sucks that it’s only got 2200 miles on it amd having this issue.

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
Definitely not a common problem with the 5.7Ls. But they’ll repair whatever it is under warranty at least. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Deactivation code means the misfiring cylinder was disabled (via injector kill) to prevent unburnt fuel from damaging a catalytic converter. Certainly does suck that you're having that issue, especially with a new car, but these things can unfortunately happen and your dealer can/will/should make it right. As others mentioned, if it's practical to do so, you should tow the car in. But if you do have to drive it don't panic - just be as light as possible with the throttle while getting there.

And of course let us know what they find/how the repair turns out when you can. Good luck!

EDIT - just realized you already got it to the dealer but I'll leave my comments in case anyone wants my unsolicited advice in the future on limping a misfire veh in ;)

Reactions: Finface

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
The tech did a good job of fault tracing and documentation. I'm sure that's needed for them to get paid from FCA for the work performed. I'm glad it's fixed for you. Enjoy your fun ride now..... :)

DeWFPo

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
The tech did a good job of fault tracing and documentation. I'm sure that's needed for them to get paid from FCA for the work performed. I'm glad it's fixed for you. Enjoy your fun ride now..... :)

DeWFPo
Agree. Good job fault tracing. Good tech.

Glad to read of the outcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So another update:

Got the car home around 3pm yesterday. Me and my wife went to leave for dinner around 5:30pm and as soon as we pulled out of the garage the check engine light came back on. The service department is closed today so I took it by Autozone and had them pull the code: #1 cylinder misfire again. I will be taking it back to the dealership again on Monday morning.

The rough idle is no longer there and so far no stutter upon accelerating. The engine seems to run smooth as far as I can tell. The check engine is not flashing either; its just staying on.

I’ll report back in on Monday after the service department takes a look at it for the second time.

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
It will be very interesting to see what the problem turns out to be.

If anyone starts a pool on what is busted, give me $5 on the crank position sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to give everyone an update. The car is still in the shop. They can’t seem to figure out what’s causing the misfire. They replaced the PCM module the other day, but that didn’t fix it. In fact, they said it made the misfire a little worse. Now they are pulling the cylinder head and ordering a new head.

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
Just wanted to give everyone an update. The car is still in the shop. They can’t seem to figure out what’s causing the misfire. They replaced the PCM module the other day, but that didn’t fix it. In fact, they said it made the misfire a little worse. Now they are pulling the cylinder head and ordering a new head.
Well I hope this doesn’t turn you off the Challenger altogether. If it does, I’ve got a 2014 Charger I’ll trade you. It’s sweet, people won’t break the law within eyesight of you, and if they were breaking the law when you pull up, they’l instantly stop while you’re around. Plus, every now and again, you’ll get free donuts at a drive through. 😁

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like a total chick magnet lol. But no, I don’t think this will turn me off from the Challenger badge. In fact, and I highly doubt it would come to this, if it came down to it and I had to use the lemon law I would just get another Challenger.

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
Sounds like a total chick magnet lol. But no, I don’t think this will turn me off from the Challenger badge. In fact, and I highly doubt it would come to this, if it came down to it and I had to use the lemon law I would just get another Challenger.
Hey don’t knock it till you’ve pulled up to a hooker convention and seen em scatter like a prostitute sprinkler just froze and busted loose!

Reactions: Moparrebel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update:

Took it to the dealership this morning and the #1 cylinder is misfiring and the tech got a deactivation code. Not sure what that means. They have to tear down the cylinder head to find out what’s causing the misfires. Won’t know much else until tomorrow.
It just sucks that it’s only got 2200 miles on it amd having this issue.
Same problem here . Cylinder 7 misfire .

Deactivation code means the misfiring cylinder was disabled (via injector kill) to prevent unburnt fuel from damaging a catalytic converter. Certainly does suck that you're having that issue, especially with a new car, but these things can unfortunately happen and your dealer can/will/should make it right. As others mentioned, if it's practical to do so, you should tow the car in. But if you do have to drive it don't panic - just be as light as possible with the throttle while getting there.

And of course let us know what they find/how the repair turns out when you can. Good luck!

EDIT - just realized you already got it to the dealer but I'll leave my comments in case anyone wants my unsolicited advice in the future on limping a misfire veh in ;)
I got 2020 charger Rt cylinder 7 misfire. 3,800 miles . Dealer has it now .

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Shaker • F8 Green • 5.7 Liter Hemi • 6 Speed Manual
125 Posts

DeWFPo
Sounds like your Dealership has a very competent tech working there! I hope if I ever have an issue with my Challenger they put someone on the case who is as skilled and efficient getting to the root cause so quickly.

On a side note, for me this is one more confirmation that going with a VVT 5.7 instead of MDS was a VERY wise move. I'm sure the problem this fellow encountered after only 2,000 miles was a rare event but even still..... FCA is not Lee Iococca's Chrysler Corp. Part infant mortality indicates that changes need to be made in QA and vendor sourcing practices.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Shaker • F8 Green • 5.7 Liter Hemi • 6 Speed Manual
125 Posts
Hmmm.... I see that the saga continues. And that someone else chimed in with a similar issue. Wondering if there was a bad batch of parts showing up at the factory last year? If so, a pretty expensive faux pas for the company.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took 2020 Dodge Charger RT to dealer because it was misfiring and it was an easy fix the connector to coils were not connected properly. Now it works like it should. My dodge dealership sent me a video of technician looking for problem and see him snap it back on . Cool feature .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts