Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving into town yesterday and was slowing down from maybe 45 mph in third gear (down shifted from 4th). All the sudden my SRT8 started shaking bad and had a rough, half engine sound to it. I was able to pull it off into a auto parts store lot which was conveniently right there.

I pulled the CEL codes and got the following:

P2172 high airflow / vacuum leak detected (instantaneous accumulation)
and
P0302 cylinder 2 misfire

I thought maybe the #2 plugs had fouled or something so I changed them out; didn't fix it. I moved the coil block from 2 to 4 to see if the problem moved; that didn't work. Then I had someone try to start the car while I listened under the hood. It had a pretty good ping/knock coming from right around #'s 2 and 4 on the passenger front side of the engine.

I have a couple months left on my power-train warranty but I'm nervous as hell that they are going to make up some BS and not cover it. All my fluids are changed on schedule and it was running perfect before it broke down. :disgust:

Any experience with this type of problem or advice on dealing with the dealers? They were already talking "what ifs" about replacing the engine....I've had the car for 6 months and it only has 14 K miles!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can't say for sure, hope its not a bottom end problem like a spun bearing, or a top end problem like a valve spring let go. I think in any situation, the best strategy is to document everything, as this will help your case should you develop warranty problems. LEt us know what happened, wish you sucessful repair.

·
Vendor
12,321 Posts
best guess broken rocker arm, we have seen that before
Luke

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I described the sound to one of my mechanic buddies and he was thinking a valve spring maybe.

BigJon; when you say document, what exactly did you mean by that? I do my own oil changes with the recommended oil and what-not. So I don't have official documentation of that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Basically keep records of mileage when maintenance performed, with oil type/brand, filter type, mileage, etc, maintenance receipts, etc. This would demonstrate that you have performed the recommended (or better) maintenance and not let the car go. The dealer might, for example , say that the engine failed due to poor maintenance, and you can demonstrate that not to be true.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So I got some good/bad news today. First off, the engine repairs will be covered under the power-train warranty, thank god!

Second, it was broke pretty good. Just from a brief talk with the dealer:

Broken Valve Spring -

Scored Piston -

And the grand finale, a hole punched in the piston -

So after seeing this, they said they are going to replace the block and and piston (and all associated parts). Should I be worried about anything else or ask them to check anything specific?

I had been looking at doing a cam upgrade, but obviously that wouldn't be covered under the warranty, but is there anything else I could do while it's apart that mopar makes good upgrades for???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So sounds like at this moment, the dealer is going to replace the block and the passenger side head. The valve spring did some pretty good damage to the cylinder wall.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Wow.... Sorry to hear that.... The pics just make me feel bad... but you should be back on the street soon I hope....

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
ouch! that looks pretty bad!

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
So I got some good/bad news today. First off, the engine repairs will be covered under the power-train warranty, thank god!

Second, it was broke pretty good. Just from a brief talk with the dealer:

Broken Valve Spring -

Scored Piston -

And the grand finale, a hole punched in the piston -

So after seeing this, they said they are going to replace the block and and piston (and all associated parts). Should I be worried about anything else or ask them to check anything specific?

I had been looking at doing a cam upgrade, but obviously that wouldn't be covered under the warranty, but is there anything else I could do while it's apart that mopar makes good upgrades for???
I would see if you can buy some drop in forged pistons and see if the dealer will put them in since the engine is out.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Sad to see that, did you red line it a lot? Do you often downshift hard? I would look into getting some premium valves, springs and push rods, that would be cheap insurance.

Reactions: vichris

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
I would see if you can buy some drop in forged pistons and see if the dealer will put them in since the engine is out.

Yup both Modern Muscle and Arrington offer forged drop in pistons.....might as well get the rods too....... Sorry to hear about all this, but at least its covered under warranty.... Good luck..... :5:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey erayk1 , what year is your srt, i have a 2010 with approx 37,000kms. had it at the performance shop yesterday, had headers and a diablo sport tuner installed to go along with my cat-back exhaust. they had just started dynoing it when they heard a loud noise, so they shut her down. they ended up pulling the heads of and found that one of the exhaust valves broke, thank fully it didn't damage the piston or cylinder wall. they told me after they did some research that there was production run of exhaust valves that were no good, they told me they had a green marking on them. was the one that failed marked green?

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Off topic.

Curious what gasoline you typically run in your car? Nothing to do with what happened to the valve, just wondering if you used branded gasoline with plenty of detergents, or Walmart gasoline.

·
Registered
23 Posts
its usually from a legit gas station like shell, petro-canada, or esso, I've never put crappy gas in my car and its 91 octane.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
its usually from a legit gas station like shell, petro-canada, or esso, I've never put crappy gas in my car and its 91 octane.
Those are all recognized as top-tier detergent additive gas stations. Of course the Shell additives are the best and I'm completely unbiased.

So do we think your cylinder and valve is particularly clean? I don't have a particular answer, I don't typically see inside cylinders. I'm really just being curious to see if the high grade detergents are doing their job.

·
Banned
553 Posts
That's awesome, nice work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hey all,

So after almost 2 weeks I got the car back. Everything was covered under the warranty. They put in a short block, and replace the heads on the passenger side. I asked what could have caused it and they said they didn't know.

I didn't see the part in person I have no clue if the valve was marked green. If it is true that they knew these were a defective part, why wasn't there a service bulletin about it?

Also, the car has hardly ever seen the red line. I do downshift but definitely not "hard".

As far as gas goes, I usually use 91 if I can or 89. Not sure if it matters, but here in Iowa basically everything has ethanol in it. There is no getting around that fact. It did look pretty dirty from the pictures, but I don't for sure as I'm not a mechanic. Would a catch can help with that?

** I went to the Goodyear shop to get my leaky tire looked at. They found gasket sealant over a whole which probably had a nail in it because it went all the way through the tread. Sound fishy?!? Why not just tell me about it instead of trying to cover it up. Not to mention that one of the Goodyear techs at the tire place had a picture of my engine all busted up. Apparently he had been over at the dealership and they were playing show-n-tell.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts