Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Anyone ever drive here?

I signed up for the 8 21 track day. Aside from iRacing and reading here and there about what I need to bring ive got no experience in any form of road racing. I did drive on the Tail of the Dragon and enjoyed it a lot.

Looks like fun..I was there last weekend for the vintage drag races and spoke with one of the instructors there and subsequently signed up.

There was a 15 Camaro SS there that day and the guy said he was having a blast.

·
Super Moderator
13,701 Posts
I had my SRT Experience there in 2010. Big mistake. I should have flown out to one of the major tracks.

I wasn't impressed with the Englishtown road course. It was too small and the SRT guys said that it had the worst surface of any track they used in the nation.

That being said, the day that I went it was raining which made conditions even worse. If it's not too expensive, you can give it a try and let us know how it was.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm all signed up, so I'm committed.

The guy that I spoke to did tell me the course was a bit tight for my car...I'm going just to have fun.

I'll let you guys know how it is. If I like it, I'm sure I'll go back

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Went to the road course at English Town NJ Raceway Park today. Very bumpy would be my only complaint but did get more track time then I would want actually.

I'm in NYC so this is 40mins away and pretty inexpensive as far as track days go..(Inexpensive is relative LOL)

Went out a few times with the instructor and on my own as well. They only certify you locally for this track so I can go back now and drive without an instructor any time id want.

Course is 1.3 miles and very tight and miss my GS Corvette at a place like this. The Challenger is a fat cat around here..

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The banked corner was fun and the car didn't roll over really at all like it thought it would.

2nd shots with the instructor. Once I got the line down I was pretty good and found my self really pushing the car at times.

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The tire aftermath LOL

I'm also told its 1k per side for the fronts to replace rotors and pads at the dealer. Ive got 16k miles on my car now and would think brakes would need to be done in 6 or 7 k without another track day.

Whats the recommendation if I were to do this 6 or 8 times a year? Is there a preferred brake pad and fluid or is stock good enough?

Thanks,
Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Wear out the stock tires, pads, and rotors first. Once you gain more experience then you can upgrade them. The stock stuff is ok while you're learning to push the car to its max. Will take you some time though.
Changing rotors and pads on these cars is a breeze. You can do it yourself. Invest in some jack stances, floor Jack, and some tools.
The stock rotors are about $100 a piece, pads are also around $100 for the pair, DOT 4 brake fluid you can get for about $25/liter (you'll probably need 2), and stickier tires around $1000.
Lots of do it yourself videos on the web and if you need help, we're here.
For now, have fun and improve on the driver mod.
You can also join the local SCCA or NASA. That's what I recommend.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2016 SRT 392
90 Posts
OOOPS, you're right. Didn't realize he's got the 6 piston brembos.
Still should last a while, I put on almost 1000 track miles on mine before I had to change my front pads and rotors.

Why did you need to change your front rotors if you had the full floating brembos?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought you had to change the rotors along with the pads? The guy at the dealership that works on my car recommended it.

Ive got 16k on the car now and have about 1/2 of the front brake life left based on the metal tabs location of the front calipers. More left in the rear.

Just curious if its recommended that I use more of a performance pad and fluid? I live in NYC and I just use the car for road trips and weekends but would track it monthly now.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I thought you had to change the rotors along with the pads? The guy at the dealership that works on my car recommended it.

Ive got 16k on the car now and have about 1/2 of the front brake life left based on the metal tabs location of the front calipers. More left in the rear.

Just curious if its recommended that I use more of a performance pad and fluid? I live in NYC and I just use the car for road trips and weekends but would track it monthly now.

It's the right way when doing a brake job to change the rotors as well. You also can't cut these rotors. It's a no no with slotted rotors. Anyone telling you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.
Like I said earlier, let all the stock parts wear out. At this stage, it's not necessary. The stock brembos do a damn good job especially if you're just getting started. Once you wear out the oem parts then you can go with performance parts. That's my suggestion to you. Save your money for now.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That's the plan.

I am thinking about getting a CG lock however as I did move around in the seat quite a bit as the course is bumpy as hell.

If it makes any sense I was holding onto the wheel as much as I was using it to drive the car.

I have to say im really impressed with what the car is able to do and then have it go back to being a normal street car that im going to drive to Florida next week LOL. I was pretty blown away by its ability to handle and stop the way it does.

In my mind I kept thinking I was wearing it out or using it up but it was the same car I took the track on the way home and am convinced that cars like this do what is advertised and you can really drive it like that and have 100k warranty. Kind of makes me wish I had more fun with my Corvette I owned previously. If at the end of the day its expendable parts like tires and brakes and fluids that have to get changed its no big deal and to me its even part of the fun owning the car.

I don't know if anyone else ever worries about stuff like that but its certainly was on my mind when driving that hard.

·
Registered
2016 SRT 392
90 Posts
The CG Lock works short term and will hold you in place.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks,

I'm going to try it as like I said I was holding myself in place in part by holding onto the wheel, so I'm going to give it a try and see if it helps.

·
Registered
2016 SRT 392
90 Posts
I have not had any problems with the stock Brembos?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks,

Ill probably change it with and use all stock brake parts an fluids as ill go only once a month.

I understand a lot of the mods for the suspension and chassis stiffening but why do guys lower the car? Is it to lessen the roll in the corners?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts