Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've got 10-12 track days in the last couple seasons. The SRT Experience is a 'first hit is free' thing, at least for me. I got bit HARD. Fortunately I hooked up with a great club trying to get La Junta Raceway (Colorado) back on the map. Also have run at High Plains Raceway and Pikes Peak International Raceway.

I haven't done a ton of mods yet, the clutch died at 12,500 miles, warranty ends at 12,000. So I put in a McLeod for what a stock one would run. The shop that did the work said it was a manufacturing failure of the pressure plate, it wasn't worn out... but of course the crap warranty we get is useless. (I've had check engine codes they can't/won't fix too)

The CG Lock is surprisingly good. It really helps keep you planted when you are throwing it around on a track. You don't even realize how much you are hanging on until you aren't. Worth the $80 or whatever.. Of course a harness would be better. Someday...

I am running Carbotech XP12 brake pads on the front and XP10 on the back. Still stock rotors, probably go Stoptech when it's time. If you can tolerate the dust and sounding like a '69 International School Bus at a light, the braking is fantastic! I burned up the stock pads in a couple track days, but the Carbotech are holding up well, except the front left, which I finally used up after 6 or 7 track days and a long road trip. La Junta in mostly right turns so the ESC would favor that one. I use MOTUL Brake fluid, and find I still need to bleed the brakes before a track day to avoid fade. The Motive bleeder tool really helps. I need to rig up some kind of cooling for the fronts even then. Brakes get HOT after a few laps of aggressive braking. Even using MOTUL, they go from fine to mushy as hell pretty quickly once you start braking as late as you can.

I have the Hotchkis sway bars and lowering springs on order, and a Petty's Garage front strut brace standing by to install at the same time. I can't wait to see how much the improvement is. The point is to stiffen the uni-frame, lower the center of gravity and lower body roll. Less airflow under the car helps too.

Welcome to a new addiction! Take lessons, watch people faster than you, and most importantly, have fun!

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
^^ do you have the SS braided brake lines? If not, it'll help. Seems like you're mostly trail braking and late apexing which is not a bad thing but wears the hell out of the brake components. I recently switched from Motul to Castrol SRF.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes, I have SS on the front. Forgot that one. Gonna do the rears too. Trail braking is a wonderful thing to learn and use, but it does put some extra wear. The rest of the carbotechs are holding up great, it was just the one corner. Do you find the Castrol worth the huge extra cost? I mean 4x is a lot. I don't have sponsors.. :)

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Yes, I have SS on the front. Forgot that one. Gonna do the rears too. Trail braking is a wonderful thing to learn and use, but it does put some extra wear. The rest of the carbotechs are holding up great, it was just the one corner. Do you find the Castrol worth the huge extra cost? I mean 4x is a lot. I don't have sponsors.. :)

Yes and no. Depends on where you live. If you live in a part of the country where the humidity is high then I'd go with Castrol. Motul will be fine too as long as you bleed it frequently. The advantage of the SRF is that it's got the highest wet boiling point and you don't have to bleed the brakes as often. Probably a wash. The enemy of brake fluid is moisture. The Motul worked fine for me but I wanted to try the SRF since everyone says it's the best. I will be going to the track soon and will find out. I also have the carbotech pads and just love those suckers. Minus the Rapid Transit bus squealing sound like when driving on the streets.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's pretty dry in Colorado, 40% is a 'High humidity' day. I guess if it lasts a lot longer before a flush, it's worth it. When I bleed the first couple teaspoons or so look like iced tea. Seems like it would be good to get that out even if it isn't fading though.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
It's pretty dry in Colorado, 40% is a 'High humidity' day. I guess if it lasts a lot longer before a flush, it's worth it. When I bleed the first couple teaspoons or so look like iced tea. Seems like it would be good to get that out even if it isn't fading though.

I live in LA and most of the tracks I go to are in the desert like environment. The only time I get brake fade is when I do 8 or more laps which is about 20 min session. Even in 100* plus. Now, if I were doing more than the usual 20 min session, I'd get the RT700 brake fluid which is the best and has the highest dry boiling point. Crazy.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47686

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
...I haven't done a ton of mods yet, the clutch died at 12,500 miles, warranty ends at 12,000. So I put in a McLeod for what a stock one would run....
How is the clutch in daily driving? Which version did you get?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the RST. It shifts a bit harder, and doesn't have much slip at all. Starting out at a light in traffic needs a bit more finesse. It will chatter/vibrate sometimes, but I just push the clutch all the way in, and release it again to stop it. I stall it occasionally creeping into the garage. Nothing that makes me regret it, though.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've got 10-12 track days in the last couple seasons. The SRT Experience is a 'first hit is free' thing, at least for me. I got bit HARD. Fortunately I hooked up with a great club trying to get La Junta Raceway (Colorado) back on the map. Also have run at High Plains Raceway and Pikes Peak International Raceway.

I haven't done a ton of mods yet, the clutch died at 12,500 miles, warranty ends at 12,000. So I put in a McLeod for what a stock one would run. The shop that did the work said it was a manufacturing failure of the pressure plate, it wasn't worn out... but of course the crap warranty we get is useless. (I've had check engine codes they can't/won't fix too)

The CG Lock is surprisingly good. It really helps keep you planted when you are throwing it around on a track. You don't even realize how much you are hanging on until you aren't. Worth the $80 or whatever.. Of course a harness would be better. Someday...

I am running Carbotech XP12 brake pads on the front and XP10 on the back. Still stock rotors, probably go Stoptech when it's time. If you can tolerate the dust and sounding like a '69 International School Bus at a light, the braking is fantastic! I burned up the stock pads in a couple track days, but the Carbotech are holding up well, except the front left, which I finally used up after 6 or 7 track days and a long road trip. La Junta in mostly right turns so the ESC would favor that one. I use MOTUL Brake fluid, and find I still need to bleed the brakes before a track day to avoid fade. The Motive bleeder tool really helps. I need to rig up some kind of cooling for the fronts even then. Brakes get HOT after a few laps of aggressive braking. Even using MOTUL, they go from fine to mushy as hell pretty quickly once you start braking as late as you can.

I have the Hotchkis sway bars and lowering springs on order, and a Petty's Garage front strut brace standing by to install at the same time. I can't wait to see how much the improvement is. The point is to stiffen the uni-frame, lower the center of gravity and lower body roll. Less airflow under the car helps too.

Welcome to a new addiction! Take lessons, watch people faster than you, and most importantly, have fun!

Thanks so much for the response..heading out again October 2nd.

Ill let you guys know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
You're gonna love the front strut tower brace! Can't wait to hear from you once you track day it after its installation. Road racing is very addictive!!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
My friend Andy Brant is having a track day at Motorsports Ranch Cressen TX in Nov. Using the "long track" 3.1 mile, running CCW. Enhanced Motorsports Performance for more info or PM me for info.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts