Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Nuke - I'm visiting relatives in SE Georgia - if I was closer to Texas...I'd drop by and hang out.

Get you out of the penalty box for a while
I appreciate it, but as far as I am concerned, SHE's the one in the penalty box...but in reality, I suppose the penalty box is a relative construct...I'm sure she consideres me to be in it, while I undoubtedly believe she's the one in it...

meanwhile, our poor Challenger is caught in the middle, wondering what it has done wrong and not knowing it did nothing wrong

That's the cruelest side to all of this, our poor Challenger is an unwitting participant and the main victim of all the in-fighting :8:

I plan on taking her to the car wash at lunch to give her a good shine...I just hope it helps ease her uneasiness...

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I appreciate it, but as far as I am concerned, SHE's the one in the penalty box...but in reality, I suppose the penalty box is a relative construct...I'm sure she consideres me to be in it, while I undoubtedly believe she's the one in it...

meanwhile, our poor Challenger is caught in the middle, wondering what it has done wrong and not knowing it did nothing wrong

That's the cruelest side to all of this, our poor Challenger is an unwitting participant and the main victim of all the in-fighting :8:

I plan on taking her to the car wash at lunch to give her a good shine...I just hope it helps ease her uneasiness...
It's always the poor children caught in the middle...........in this case Challenger. I hope this isn't over a few dollars.
Lesson learned I say! But I'm not there. Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
It's always the poor children caught in the middle...........in this case Challenger. I hope this isn't over a few dollars.
Lesson learned I say! But I'm not there. Good luck!!!
No, it's much more serious than money, it's over Joe Dirt.

More specifically, she refuses to admit Joe Dirt is the best movie ever made. And until she does, I refuse to let her ride in (or drive!) our Challenger.

I keep telling her, pride ain't hard to swallow, if you chew it long enough! >:)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The new OEM alternator appears to have resolved the problem(s), though I am still not sure how the non-OE one could have been bad and exhibited the symptoms I saw. Whatever, I've got my car back and I'm no longer paying $45/day to drive a Nissan Rogue I couldn't stand to drive, so I'll take it.
Mine's back at the dealership, and I hope they get it right this time. This has been going on for 4 months now, and there's no good reason for it. BTW, they gave me a Journey this time, and I have to take it back tomorrow because the check engine light came on; really, it did*... :disgust:

* I have restrained myself from actually posting what I was thinking; hence, the "really, it did".

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Mine's back at the dealership, and I hope they get it right this time. This has been going on for 4 months now, and there's no good reason for it. BTW, they gave me a Journey this time, and I have to take it back tomorrow because the check engine light came on; really, it did*... :disgust:

* I have restrained myself from actually posting what I was thinking; hence, the "really, it did".
Holy cow, you are hell on them loaners, ain't ya?!? :deadhorse: :armed: :bash: :headbang2: :wink3:

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
No, it's much more serious than money, it's over Joe Dirt.

More specifically, she refuses to admit Joe Dirt is the best movie ever made. And until she does, I refuse to let her ride in (or drive!) our Challenger.

I keep telling her, pride ain't hard to swallow, if you chew it long enough! >:)

Yes I see. Much more serious! Yep, that's what teeth are for. Hang tough Nuke. I'm sure she is ready to cave.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

So I ran across an interesting thread while mixing it up with the 4 door folks earlier, and while nothing rose above the level of anecdotal, there was some solid discussion about the root cause and contributing factors of the alternator failures seen on you guys’ fancy smancy newer LXs. It certainly went a long way toward explaining why my 2010 is not part of the recall, which had previously baffled me BTW.

Anyway, one of the posters laid out how FCA is likely going to handle satisfying the recall of such a massive number of cars, and if he was right about the expected approach, your particular situation sounds odd.

Once they knew your car was covered and subject to the alternator recall, this other poster’s theory would dictate they give you your car back with the promise to call you when its turn to get fixed had arrived. However, your situation seems almost exactly opposite, almost as if they didn’t know it had an alternator coming but would just have to wait for its number to be called.

The repeated/extended stays your car has been subjected to at the service department almost makes it sound like they were continuing to try to diagnose a problem, which surely could not be the case, right?

I hate to be so jaded as to think they just like joyriding in your car, and that’s why they keep asking you to bring it in, but what else could be going on??

Anyway, didnt want to dredge up bad memories or anything, but was curious as to the current status of your car...and what their plan is to eventually fix it when the parts start getting shipped out to all the dealerships...

Cordially,
Nuke

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
So I ran across an interesting thread while mixing it up with the 4 door folks earlier, and while nothing rose above the level of anecdotal, there was some solid discussion about the root cause and contributing factors of the alternator failures seen on you guys’ fancy smancy newer LXs. It certainly went a long way toward explaining why my 2010 is not part of the recall, which had previously baffled me BTW.

Anyway, one of the posters laid out how FCA is likely going to handle satisfying the recall of such a massive number of cars, and if he was right about the expected approach, your particular situation sounds odd.

Once they knew your car was covered and subject to the alternator recall, this other poster’s theory would dictate they give you your car back with the promise to call you when its turn to get fixed had arrived. However, your situation seems almost exactly opposite, almost as if they didn’t know it had an alternator coming but would just have to wait for its number to be called.

The repeated/extended stays your car has been subjected to at the service department almost makes it sound like they were continuing to try to diagnose a problem, which surely could not be the case, right?

I hate to be so jaded as to think they just like joyriding in your car, and that’s why they keep asking you to bring it in, but what else could be going on??

Anyway, didnt want to dredge up bad memories or anything, but was curious as to the current status of your car...and what their plan is to eventually fix it when the parts start getting shipped out to all the dealerships...

Cordially,
Nuke
I just got my Shaker back yesterday with a fourth new alternator in it. :bang:

This time they also replaced the PCM, which the service writer told me was damaged by the faulty alternator with the mechanic standing next to him. Here is where it gets interesting. Since my Shaker is super charged, it has a custom tune to make it function properly. FCA, not the dealership, then told me that because I have a "tuner" (The exact word used by Precious, the FCA agent, who obviously has no clue what she's talking about.) in my Shaker, the warranty on my PCM was void, so I had to pay for it. Tuning a modern engine electronically is basically no different from tuning an engine prior to the advent of computers, and it is no different from installing software on a home computer. A tune cannot damage a computer, although an improper tune can damage an engine. It only changes the parameters of the information being sent to control the engine. On the other hand, an alternator can damage the PCM with incorrect voltages or say a diode shorting out. :toomuchinfo:

I have not yet driven it yet today, so I have no idea if the battery light is going to come on or not. I have not yet restored the custom tune, so if the failure recurs it will be completely on them, and then I'll have to figure out what my options are. What is happening, is numerous engine codes are being thrown, which I attribute to the lack of the custom tune. I also told them that I would pay the core charge for the PCM, as I wanted to keep it, but it wasn't available when I picked up my Shaker. I have the service manager looking for it right now, and am waiting for him to call me back. I could write a book about all of this, but I gave up publishing years ago. :D

So now that you have the latest update on my continuing saga, here's wishing you and yours a very merry Christmas!!! :IThankYou:

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I just got my Shaker back yesterday with a fourth new alternator in it. :bang:

This time they also replaced the PCM, which the service writer told me was damaged by the faulty alternator with the mechanic standing next to him. Here is where it gets interesting. Since my Shaker is super charged, it has a custom tune to make it function properly. FCA, not the dealership, then told me that because I have a "tuner" (The exact word used by Precious, the FCA agent, who obviously has no clue what she's talking about.) in my Shaker, the warranty on my PCM was void, so I had to pay for it. Tuning a modern engine electronically is basically no different from tuning an engine prior to the advent of computers, and it is no different from installing software on a home computer. A tune cannot damage a computer, although an improper tune can damage an engine. It only changes the parameters of the information being sent to control the engine. On the other hand, an alternator can damage the PCM with incorrect voltages or say a diode shorting out. :toomuchinfo:

I have not yet driven it yet today, so I have no idea if the battery light is going to come on or not. I have not yet restored the custom tune, so if the failure recurs it will be completely on them, and then I'll have to figure out what my options are. What is happening, is numerous engine codes are being thrown, which I attribute to the lack of the custom tune. I also told them that I would pay the core charge for the PCM, as I wanted to keep it, but it wasn't available when I picked up my Shaker. I have the service manager looking for it right now, and am waiting for him to call me back. I could write a book about all of this, but I gave up publishing years ago. :D

So now that you have the latest update on my continuing saga, here's wishing you and yours a very merry Christmas!!! :IThankYou:
It’s hard to reconsile how wrong their position is on all referenced issues with...well, no need to beat a deceased equine, I’m sure you already know.

They are clearly in violation of my favorite Mark Twain quote:
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.”

It sounds like that Dealership has skipped straight to the distorting part when it comes to facts...

61 - 69 of 69 Posts
About this Discussion
68 Replies
5 Participants
Nuke
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing