Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, read the tips and tricks on this but it was unclear as whether you have to take the pushbutton off or not.

I know you can disable it 50% by hitting the esp off button, but once you're moving, if you hold the pushbutton in a few seconds, is it the same as turning the key?

I would like to feel the difference, but don't want to do something that the ignition system doesn't like.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
No you can't use the button as a key on the key trick. At least not on mine. My guess is because you can't go into the start position without your foot on the brake. That's just my guess

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No you can't use the button as a key on the key trick. At least not on mine. My guess is because you can't go into the start position without your foot on the brake. That's just my guess
No, that's not the case on these cars. Go to the Tips and Tricks section at the top of the thread page.

The procedure as documented is to turn esp off by the button. That supposedly turns off about 50% of the programming. To turn off the rest, you have to get the car going 5-15 mph and then turn the key like you're starting it. I know it sounds crazy, but supposedly the car has been setup to recognize what you're doing and it doesn't crank the starter again. That's with a key start.

My question is does the same apply with pushbutton start? The reason I think it might is the pushbutton start on these cars isn't like any other pushbutton start I've had. Just touching the button momentarily doesn't start the car, you've got to hold it in until the engine fires. That makes me believe the "button" is really an electro-mechanical device not just electrical.

Anyhow, anxious to hear if someone has tried it on an R/T Classic w/pushbutton start. Yes, I know the button comes off, but it's not important enough for me just to see what it feels like to start disassembling the car.

My GTO had just the button and it was 100% on or 100% off.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
The start button is what I'm talking about. I have to take it out and turn the FOB as a key to do the key trick. I have a 10 Classic too with push button start.
But I don't have to hold mine in untill it starts like you say yours does. I put my foot on the brake and just push and release the button.
If you have a Super Track Pac or SRT you can do what you say about your GTO and just hold the ESP button in untill it chimes.

·
Banned
583 Posts
I can not feel anything different when I push the esp button, I did have to remove my ignition/start button and use the key to turn mine off, I tried it with just using the start button with no luck.

·
Super Moderator
15,965 Posts
If you are moving forward and hold the push-button in for more than 2 seconds, it will kill the engine - its a safety over-ride in case you had a stuck throttle or other emergency situation where you need to kill the engine using the Keyless-Go feature while in motion.

(After the Toyota acceleration stuff, I read the manual and tried out the Keyless-Go function to have practice with it...)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are moving forward and hold the push-button in for more than 2 seconds, it will kill the engine - its a safety over-ride in case you had a stuck throttle or other emergency situation where you need to kill the engine using the Keyless-Go feature while in motion.

(After the Toyota acceleration stuff, I read the manual and tried out the Keyless-Go function to have practice with it...)
Aha! That makes sense, and it's something I never considered a need to do. I guess if I had owned a Toyota, it would have come to me to ask.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I havent tried this but I was told at the dealership if you push the ESP button it only partially turns it off. In order to completely disable it, you hold down the ESP button for more than 6 seconds.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
That's only if you have a RT with Super Trac pac or a SRT. You need to use the key trick or predator otherwise.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
That's how it works with the SRT's. 7 to 10 sec's and you have to be completely stopped to turn it totally off. I always do it out of gear and the emergency brake on.
not sure if it's different with the automatics?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I havent tried this but I was told at the dealership if you push the ESP button it only partially turns it off. In order to completely disable it, you hold down the ESP button for more than 6 seconds.
Just tried it. It didn't work. But something weird happened. I held it down for over 10 seconds and the ESP off indicator (car with wavy lines) turned off. When I tried to push the button again that indicator would not come back on. In other words, it wouldn't let me turn the traction control off. Or is that what happens when it is completely off? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
That's how it works with the SRT's. 7 to 10 sec's and you have to be completely stopped to turn it totally off. I always do it out of gear and the emergency brake on.
....its the same with my R/T equipped with an auto and STP. You can be in gear, but need to be fully stopped.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
It's kind of a weird set up. The traction control activated light goes on when you loose traction in most cars? It does in the Challengers as well. Then it show up full time when you hit the ESP button so you can spin the tires, but still it leaves on the corner, hill start assists on.

Full stop, hold the button down for approx. 10 seconds and you'll see the ESP OFF down by the odometer and it'll stay on until you hit the ESP button or shut off your car. Then everything is off. Now you can drift at 60 if you want.

Sorry not everything.ABS can not be overridden.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Just tried it. It didn't work. But something weird happened. I held it down for over 10 seconds and the ESP off indicator (car with wavy lines) turned off. When I tried to push the button again that indicator would not come back on. In other words, it wouldn't let me turn the traction control off. Or is that what happens when it is completely off? :scratchhead:
....the traction control symbol in the instrument cluster will illuminate, a chime will sound and an "ESP disabled" message will appear in the EVIC (if equipped). I'm not sure if there is another indication in non-EVIC optioned R/T's. ....this is only if you have the STP option in the R/T or if you have an SRT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
JD

Try holding the esp button down for 8 seconds, that's the secret chrysler factory shut off for diagnostics....be sure to be clear of curbs, poles ans cars when you stomp it...cause you will go side ways!!! I did!!!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Try holding the esp button down for 8 seconds, that's the secret chrysler factory shut off for diagnostics....be sure to be clear of curbs, poles ans cars when you stomp it...cause you will go side ways!!! I did!!!!
....its NOT a secret and its NOT for diagnostics. It IS an advertised function that is part of the STP package or standard on the SRT. ....if your talking about the "key trick", that's a different story.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
ESP off

2010 RT's with STP, Start the engine while in park: hit the ESP button and it goes to 50% off mr squiggle shows in EVIC, hold ESP in 6-10 sec bells and whisle go off and the EVIC shows ESP off and no mr. squiggle. At least that's the way it works on my car. But you better be ready for anything like a 360 and a lot of smoke. Once you turn the car of it resets to ESP. Good luck

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
2010 RT's with STP, Start the engine while in park: hit the ESP button and it goes to 50% off mr squiggle shows in EVIC, hold ESP in 6-10 sec bells and whisle go off and the EVIC shows ESP off and no mr. squiggle. At least that's the way it works on my car. But you better be ready for anything like a 360 and a lot of smoke. Once you turn the car of it resets to ESP. Good luck
The traction control icon should be illuminated whether the system is partially or fully disabled via the button. The only time it is off is when the system is "on" (button isn't touched after start up or you push the button again after disabling it).

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
OK You're right, Hit it once and it's 50% of and Mr. Squiggle is shown. Hold it 6-10 bell sounds, Mr squiggle lights up and the evic reads ESP disabled. Once its completly off you have complete control of the car. There is a major change in 60 Ft depending on which ESP stage you're in. At least that has been my experience. With a Super Charger I never go ESP completely off. Once was enough.

The traction control icon should be illuminated whether the system is partially or fully disabled via the button. The only time it is off is when the system is "on" (button isn't touched after start up or you push the button again after disabling it).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts