Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to take my SRT to the streets of willow road course. What is the ESP key trick? What is it? Is the ESP half on and half off?

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
You don't need the key trick on the SRT. Press the button once for partial disable, hold it in for several seconds for "full" disable. The instructions are in your owners manual - I think.

However unless you are an experienced road course driver I think you would want to leave the ESP on.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
However unless you are an experienced road course driver I think you would want to leave the ESP on.
x2 to this

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
The key trick is for the R/T guys that cannot fully disable the ESP. For these cars, pressing the ESP OFF button only eliminates the rear wheel braking and power reduction while going in a relatively straight line. Pressing and holding the ESP OFF button does nothing. If the car gets too sideways, the ESP still activates to help keep the car in control.

Performing the key trick on the R/T is analogous to the SRT if you press and hold the ESP OFF button for 5 seconds or so. Then the ESP won't activate when you get the car sideways. Some of the newer R/T cars (with STP) have the 'hold ESP OFF button' function so the key trick isn't needed.

Be careful though if you are not used to a car with a lot of power and a limited slip differential. Things can get out of hand quickly.

·
Banned
165 Posts
The key trick is for the R/T guys that cannot fully disable the ESP. For these cars, pressing the ESP OFF button only eliminates the rear wheel braking and power reduction while going in a relatively straight line. Pressing and holding the ESP OFF button does nothing. If the car gets too sideways, the ESP still activates to help keep the car in control.

Performing the key trick on the R/T is analogous to the SRT if you press and hold the ESP OFF button for 5 seconds or so. Then the ESP won't activate when you get the car sideways. Some of the newer R/T cars (with STP) have the 'hold ESP OFF button' function so the key trick isn't needed.

Be careful though if you are not used to a car with a lot of power and a limited slip differential. Things can get out of hand quickly.
Unles I missed it, I don't think you actually explained what the met trick is. TIA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts