Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2010 Challenger Classic R/T with the 6 speed and Super Track Pack. I'm trying to figure out when ESP is fully off. If the dash comes up with a car in the twisties, does that mean ESP is off or on? Also I held the ESP OFF button for a few seconds then the car chimed and the dash said ESP OFF, and also the car in the twisties. Probably was I couldn't see my outside temp anymore. Then when I started my car again to go home, there was no car in the twisties or the ESP OFF on the dash, does that mean it's permanantly off now?

Just wondering, from a new Challenger owner. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Mr. Squiggles is just an indicator telling you the ESP system is in the reduced torque management mode, whether ESP is partially off or full off.

Everytime you restart the car, ESP is reset to full on. When the the dash indicates ESP off, it is completely off.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
When you hold it in and get the chime it's fully off but will reset it self when you turn the car off and restart it. You can turn it off with the predator and it stays off.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much guys! Good to know I can completely turn off ESP. I don't suppose there is a way to keep it off, even when you turn the car back on? Or will it always default to partial or on?

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
With the predator it will stay off. If any of the people don't have the track pack holding the esp button in won't turn it completely off.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Thank you very much guys! Good to know I can completely turn off ESP. I don't suppose there is a way to keep it off, even when you turn the car back on? Or will it always default to partial or on?
No, it works that way as a safety feature. It will always default back to full on (no Mr. Squiggles). It only takes a second or so to push a button. You'll get use to it and after a while, prolly appreciate the way it was set-up.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
This is true without a predator but it will disable it.
ESP mode
Enable or disable the ESP (traction control), NOTE: When disabled the ABS, ESP BAS and (Brake) lights will be illuminated and ABS will not be operational

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Here's what the owners manual says about it.
Electronic Stability Program (ESP) – If Equipped​
This system enhances directional control and stability of
the vehicle under various driving conditions. The ESP
corrects for oversteering and understeering the vehicle
by applying the brake of the appropriate wheel. Engine
power may also be reduced to assist in counteracting the
condition of oversteer or understeer and help the vehicle
maintain the desired path.
The ESP uses sensors in the vehicle to determine the path
that the driver intends to steer the vehicle and compares
it to the actual path of the vehicle. When the actual path
does not match the intended path, the ESP applies the
brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting
the condition of oversteer or understeer.​
•​
Oversteer - when the vehicle is turning more than
appropriate for the steering wheel position.

•​
Understeer - when the vehicle is turning less than
appropriate for the steering wheel position.
The “ESP/TCS Indicator Light” located in the
instrument cluster, starts to flash as soon as the
tires lose traction and the ESP system becomes
active. The “ESP/TCS Indicator Light” also
flashes when TCS is active. If the “ESP/TCS Indicator
Light” begins to flash during acceleration, ease up on the
accelerator and apply as little throttle as possible. Be sure
to adapt your speed and driving to the prevailing road

conditions

·
Registered
15 Posts
I held the ESP OFF button for a few seconds then the car chimed and the dash said ESP OFF, and also the car in the twisties.
When the the dash indicates ESP off, it is completely off.

so simply pushing an holding the ESP button untill it chimes effectivly replaces the "key trick" to disable the ESP completly?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Only if you have track pack or an SRT.
please excuse my ignorance i have owned a challenger for only 4 days so i am very green.

but how does one know if they have the track pack?
i bought used and the dealer didnt have much information about the car.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Track Pack cars come with F1 tires on them but you most likely can't go by that if it's used. It doesn't hurt anything if you hold the ESP button in and if you have a track pack you'll hear a chime and if not you'll need to be going over 15 MPH and turn the key to the strat position to turn ESP completely off. Both ways when you turn off the car and restart it the ESP will be back on. If you give Dodge the VIN they can get you a build sheet. For the original owner it's free I don't know about buying one used. The build sheet would have the code saying the trac pack was put in when the car was made.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Track Pack cars come with F1 tires on them but you most likely can't go by that if it's used. It doesn't hurt anything if you hold the ESP button in and if you have a track pack you'll hear a chime and if not you'll need to be going over 15 MPH and turn the key to the strat position to turn ESP completely off. Both ways when you turn off the car and restart it the ESP will be back on. If you give Dodge the VIN they can get you a build sheet. For the original owner it's free I don't know about buying one used. The build sheet would have the code saying the trac pack was put in when the car was made.
thanks for the information, after work ill head out and attempt to shut off ESP completly by holding the ESP off button.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmm...riddle me this?

I have an R/T Classic STP. When I hold the fun button for 15 or more seconds, I do not get the chime scenario, just Mr. Squiggles...the key trick sets off the chime scenario though.

I thought I read some ad the stated the Classic fun button was: ESP full on/off. R/T was partial off, and hold for full off, which gives the chime.

Who has the True story....

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
What I've been told is if you have a super trac pack on a rt you can hols in the esp button for a few sec. and get a chime and the mr squigle a bas light. Without trac pac you do the key trick and get the same results. If you hold the esp button in without trac pack it isn't completely disabled. And all of this is only untill the next time you start the car. This is only talking RTs, SRTs can push the button. The predator can disable the ESP and it willnot reset upon start up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have not tried turning ESP off with the Predator, did it with the key trick but it also disables the ABS system. If I use my Predator to turn it off does it still disable the ABS also?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts