Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fello Mopar Mavens,

Sorry for the rather dumb question but all my other mopars are late 60 and early 70 cars. This is my first "modern Mopar".

I recently purchased a very low mileage 2010 SRT.

Reading thru the owners manual I found info on a dash button called ESP (electronic stability program). My old Mopars don't have such a button.:surprise:

The manual says if the ESP lite comes on back off the throttle and slow down for conditions. It goes on to say "do not turn off the ESP".

So, I had to push the ESP button. A dash lite came on to say ESP.

My question is, if I get on the throttle a little ESP light comes on. Is this only a warning light or does the computer slow the motor down also (remove timing) or back off the throttle for you?

If I want to go fast, should I turn off the ESP?

There must be a reason for the switch.

Thanks for your time, hope I made some sense.

Varooom

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
If the car loses traction the computer will pull timing and the brakes will pulsate to stabilize the vehicle. If you are at the track most will turn off ESP

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Modern Muscle,

If I understand correctly the ESP (traction control) is on when you start the car.

If you want it off push the button and "ESP" will illuminate on the dash and traction control is now off.

If you turn off the car and restart it the ESP lite is out and traction control is now on again. In other words when the lite is out it is on, when the lite is on it is off.

Do I have this right?

Sorry for being such a rock, just want to get it right.

If so I wish they would just say that in the owners manual.

Thanks again for you time,

Varooom

·
Registered
491 Posts
Mines a 2011 SRT so when I push the button it is partial off. If I hold the button in 10 secs you here some chimes and its is considered OFF.

It really is off about 80% from what I have studied on.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Your vehicle has two systems to aid traction and stability control--TCS (Traction Control System) and ESC (Electronic Stability Control) (i.e. yaw control), however, the manual states both systems work together under the overarching ESC name designation. The two systems are controlled by the same button.

From my 2014 Owner's Manual...

"Traction Control System (TCS)

This system monitors the amount of wheel spin of each
driven wheel. If wheel spin is detected, brake pressure is
applied to the slipping wheel(s) and engine power is
reduced to provide enhanced acceleration and stability.
A feature of the TCS system, Brake Lock Differential
(BLD), controls the wheel spin across a driven axle. If one
wheel on a driven axle is spinning faster than the other,
the system will apply the brake of the spinning wheel.
This will allow more engine torque to be applied to the
wheel that is not spinning. This feature remains active
even if TCS and ESC are in the “Partial Off” or "Full Off"
mode. Refer to “Electronic Stability Control (ESC)” in this
section for more information."

"Electronic Stability Control (ESC)

This system enhances directional control and stability of
the vehicle under various driving conditions. The ESC
corrects for oversteering and understeering the vehicle
by applying the brake of the appropriate wheel. Engine
power may also be reduced to assist in counteracting the
condition of oversteer or understeer and help the vehicle
maintain the desired path.

The ESC uses sensors in the vehicle to determine the path
that the driver intends to steer the vehicle and compares
it to the actual path of the vehicle. When the actual path
does not match the intended path, the ESC applies the
brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting
the condition of oversteer or understeer."

The TCS light will flash on the instrument panel when the system is actively attempting to mitigate the state of lost traction. To turn the TCS off (ESC partial off), momentarily push the "ESC OFF" button. Once pressed the TCS annunciator will illuminate on the instrument panel with an associated chime. To completely deactivate ESC (ESC full off) press and hold the "ESC OFF" button for five seconds with the engine running and the vehicle stopped--this will deactivate the stability (yaw control) portion of the system. An "ESC OFF" message will appear in the EVIC with an associated chime when "ESC OFF" selected. Turning the system off will not change how fast the car goes, it's merely correcting driver error/excessive throttle input or unintentional traction loss, but does permit "spirited" driving (burnouts/drifting) when off.

Overall, the system works impressively well. During the two Alaskan winters I drove my 2014 R/T I frequently tried to induce a sideways condition on the snow and ice, with the stability control system immediately correction the oversteer condition every time. It was also quick to correct the vehicle when both rear wheels lost traction on black ice during deceleration on a straigh-away (rear started sliding sideways). When experimenting with the ESC full off (in snow) the rear end would move at such a rapid rate I was immediately against the steering lock to maintain directional control.

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Phantom372 is 100% correct.

As a fellow 2010 SRT owner, I can tell you once you lose that car, it takes an act of God to get it back, or the driving skills of an Andretti....it is very heavy and once it starts to go around, wants to keep going.

I have a custom tune with the ability to fully turn it off. tried it once. Road was wide and dusty with gravel...hammered 2nd without thinking and before I could even swear out loud I was facing 180 degree's around and still going. That was WITH the tires in my sig.

Only thing saved me was "both feet in, in a spin" (stick car).

Now I just turn it off via the button, thus leaving some room for help from the computer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts