Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased and used an Essential Care Prepaid Oil Plan from Mopar? I can get one for $245 that includes 4 ultra synthetic oil changes over 2 years. That seems to be a really great deal for oil changes for the 6.4 Hemi. It almost seems too good to be true, so I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these plans. If it is as presented, then it seems like a no brainer. Thanks in advance for any input you might have!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Has anyone purchased and used an Essential Care Prepaid Oil Plan from Mopar? I can get one for $245 that includes 4 ultra synthetic oil changes over 2 years. That seems to be a really great deal for oil changes for the 6.4 Hemi. It almost seems too good to be true, so I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these plans. If it is as presented, then it seems like a no brainer. Thanks in advance for any input you might have!

I have the "plan". While I generally do not buy these things I bought one last oil change almost 6 months ago. Do not recall the cost being $245 but the cost was certainly higher than just a plain old oil change. Based on how the plan was explained I did the math and believe it will save me money. And it can be used at any Dodge dealer not just where I bought it.

Have not yet used it -- beyond the oil change when I bought the plan -- but I intend to use it today as a matter of fact and where I bought the plan because my Hellcat is "due" for an oil/filter service.

Come July 21 it will be 6 months since its last oil change and I have put just 2750 miles on car since the previous oil change. I am "scheduled" to leave town shortly after July 15 to relocate to another town in a distant state, around 2K miles distant from my current location. I want to leave town with fresh oil in the engine. So today I plan in getting the Hellcat oil changed.

·
Registered
14,494 Posts
Make sure it includes the correct Pennzoil 0W-40 and the 899 filter and make sure it also covers 7 quarts. My dealer will do it for about $80 including tax.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,222 Posts
Make sure it includes the correct Pennzoil 0W-40 and the 899 filter and make sure it also covers 7 quarts. My dealer will do it for about $80 including tax.

That comes to $360 for four so $245 is a deal. Heck doing it yourself is $50-$60 each time, not worth the small savings to drag out ramps etc.....

·
Registered
164 Posts
The last 2 times I used a Mopar $59.95 oil change coupon which included 5 qts full synthetic and a tire rotation. First time with the coupon the "service writer" said he'd give me the 7 qts for that price. The second time he wasn't there & the manager OK'd the price with 7 qts but no tire rotation which wasn't needed yet. But said would not OK that deal again with 7 qts. Before that I paid $85 and then $95, but had dealer coupons, not the Mopar one. Just have to make sure to use the official Mopar coupons, which also listed the plan for 4 oil changes.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Made a mistake. I do not have the "Essential Care Prepaid Oil Plan", at least this is not what I bought the last time I had the oil changed.

I went to get the oil changed today and decided to take along the invoice that shows what I bought.

I bought Essential Care Platinum -- 1 year / 2 Oil Changes ($50 cap). I paid $190 for this.

Includes 7 quarts of 0w-40 oil. (#68171066PC); 1 filter (#4884899AC) and 1 "Oil Change Kit" (1100).

Googling the oil part number I find it is 0w-40 "Mopar" oil. I see no mention of Pennzoil. I wonder of Pennzoil is bottling the oil into Mopar bottles? At any rate I'll ask to see the oil the tech is using before the oil is changed.

And filter is just a standard Mopar oil filter although searches turn up it is ok to use with the 6.2l supercharged engine in Chargers/Challengers.

·
Registered
14,494 Posts
Hey Rockster, that Mopar oil is the Pennzoil 0W-40.

If you download the 2020 Mopar Chemical Catalog you will see it.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,314 Posts

That’s the terrifying part, after one releases the keys and car to a dealership service advisor.....

I could see some personnel putting 5W20 bulk oil or 5W30 bulk oil in place of 0W40, only to hear them say “Uhhhhhh....I thought it got regular bulk oil. Ahhhhhhh....screw it; motor oil is motor oil.”

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've been asking to look under the car when they get it up in air. Just to see what it looks like, or does it need a thorough washing to get winter salt off, etc. Some kind of excuse to see what parts the tech has hopefully already brought out. The Pennzoil has always been in seven 1-quart bottles.

The local auto part stores don 't carry 0W-40 Pennzoil and neither does the Shell/Pennzoil distributor. I'm guessing the dealer gets it from Mopar as regular part number & it 's kept in the parts dept.

At the time it didn't seem there was a big savings when buying the 4 oil change plan & it still did not include 7 qts.

Here's the latest Mopar coupon I saw.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I purchased a similar plan at my dealer for $300. Four oil changes, tire rotation and inspection in two years. I had gotten the same plan two years prior for $275. I’m happy with that deal. My only criticism was the latest visit I saw them put the lug nuts on using an air ratchet without torquing them to the required 111 ft lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would have never got a plan like that before, but if I get a scat, I definitely will consider it. I'm used to paying between 35-50 to get the oil changed in my Mustang and usually put that off for as long as I can. I've been hearing most people are paying 90-100 for the 6.4. That sounds crazy expensive for just another quart or two of oil. I'm guessing the type of oil they are recommending cost more than the standard synthetic?

·
Super Moderator
14,032 Posts
If you don't like working on your car, the pre-paid plan is reasonable. However, if you really want to save money, do it yourself. I buy Mobil 1 0W-40 oil from Walmart and an SRT filter from E-Bay. My total cost is less than $45. (Also Mobil frequently offers rebates).

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm really leery about service centers now after the incident with my tires. Although the Ford dealer seemed to do a good job with my head gasket the other day. I'm not sure how good the Dodge service centers around here or where to go anymore for that matter. I guess I could always drive to my parents house to borrow the garage to change the oil.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Car sticker 81,500. Not gonna try to save a few bucks on oil. I know what’s in it and how much. Do it yourself or a reliable shop. Dealers thieves. Wouldn’t care if they were just thieves, but they are incompetent too.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I would have never got a plan like that before, but if I get a scat, I definitely will consider it. I'm used to paying between 35-50 to get the oil changed in my Mustang and usually put that off for as long as I can. I've been hearing most people are paying 90-100 for the 6.4. That sounds crazy expensive for just another quart or two of oil. I'm guessing the type of oil they are recommending cost more than the standard synthetic?
"crazy expensive" is relative. Given towards the end -- circa late 2017 -- I was paying nearly $400 for an "oil change" service -- actually more than an oil change but still... -- for my Porsche cars, $90/$100 oil changes are almost free.

Had one oil change done to my 2018 Scat Pack. Have had 6 oil changes done to my 2018 Hellcat.

Not sure what a "standard synthetic" oil is or what it costs. At one point for Mobil 1 5w-50 oil for my Porsche cars I was paying $11/quart. When the demand for this oil got to a point the dealer started stocking it and the price came down quite a bit. For an oil change that required 9 quarts that was a significant cost savings when the discount happened.

In every case the Dodge dealer -- 3 different dealers, too: Tracy, Pleasanton, and San Leandro (all in CA) -- has discounted the oil and the oil filter. The list price of the oil is nominally around $10/quart. The dealer drops this to around $6/quart. The filter is likewise discounted but I don't recall the list price and discounted price.

There was at least one exception. At Tracy Dodge, one SA "comped" me an oil/filter service which of course resulted in the oil and filter being discounted to $0.

Don't know about the Scat Pack but for my Hellcat I understand an under body plastic panel needs to be removed -- it has a number of fasteners which of course have to be removed -- which adds time. Also, the oil cooler needs to be drained. More time. More money.

In my opinion, given the car costs around $65K and due to its "design" requires extra labor to drain the oil, the cost of the oil services is not excessive.

However, I suspect the price will go up.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,580 Posts
I'm not keen on having my car at any service center, dealer or not. Barring an unforeseen circumstance, my car will not see a dealer except next year (5 year inspection for lifetime warranty, and I'll have them do the cruise control recall at the same time). And every 5 years after that (buying a lifetime warranty must surely guarantee no repairs needed, right? :) )

A Guy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts