Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there in RT land. I use to put pure gas in my Challenger. It is now only available in 88 Octane in my state. I have a 6 sp so to perform well it needs at least 91. The 91 in my area is mixed with 10% garbage, oops I mean ethanol. Has anyone used the Sta-Bil product that removes the water from the gasoline that the ethanol cause. For some education. Ethanol bonds with the water in the atmosphere and overtime will corrode your fuel lines, tank etc. So anyone using that Sta-bil product on their baby? Mike

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,074 Posts
If you actually drive your car enough to replenish the fuel tank reasonably often, I find it hard to believe the amount of water in ethanol containing gas would be enough to cause any problems. The fact the ethanol DOES allow any water present to be burned off, is a benefit in my book. Straight gasoline isn't miscible with water, so any water present would bead up and do more harm in my opinion.
The whole fuel stabilizer thing is nothing but a marketing ploy by those that sell it as far as I'm concerned. I leave my ride on lawn mower parked in the garage from October to May filled with gas in the tank and guess what? It starts right up after all of those months, no problem. I've been doing this for 6 years now with no fuel stabilizer added and it still runs like the day I bought it.
I have to think the EPA and all of the antipollution controls present on vehicles today are designed to run on ethanol containing fuel with no problem. I'd go with a 93 high octane gas containing ethanol any day, over a lower octane without. Now if you're talking about energy output of one vs. the other, then maybe that's a different story.
While I'm not a fan of fuel stabilizers, I do use and believe in fuel system cleaners.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Because I have 2 cars that don't get driven daily, I was also concerned about the rapid detereation of the ethanol fuels.
On a local Mopar site, one member has been using "StarTron", primarily in small gas engines like a snow blower, lawn mower, etc. and reports it has eliminated the fuel system problems he was having previously.
After checking out their web site, I bought some through Amazon. If you buy, get the concentrate. Product #93032.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Hello out there in RT land. I use to put pure gas in my Challenger. It is now only available in 88 Octane in my state. I have a 6 sp so to perform well it needs at least 91. The 91 in my area is mixed with 10% garbage, oops I mean ethanol. Has anyone used the Sta-Bil product that removes the water from the gasoline that the ethanol cause. For some education. Ethanol bonds with the water in the atmosphere and overtime will corrode your fuel lines, tank etc. So anyone using that Sta-bil product on their baby? Mike
Where I am, you can only get ethanol gas. It really should not be problematic. The only thing that suffers is fuel economy by a few MPGs.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,436 Posts
The ethanol in our gas around here killed the carb in my gas powered edger, and I had to buy an additive for it, but in my conversation with where I bought it, they said modern automobiles aren't susceptible to the same deleterious effects of ethanol as 2 stroke engines.

Reactions: Czechman

·
Super Moderator
17,350 Posts
I have been using the marine formulation of Sta-bil (longer life and higher concentration = more product yield for your $$).

One of the members was recording ST KNK readings and found that Sta-bil helped reduce the ST KNK levels.
Less spark retard = more power and when "not into it deep" potentially more MPG.

All around here is the adulterated E-10 blends.
The non ethanol stuff runs $4.99/gal vs. the current $4.09-4.12 for the major top-tier brands of 92 octane.
I'm not spending an additional $15-$17 per tank for the privalage of ethanol free version. I'll doctor up my own fuel for less $.

Reactions: ken kamins

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I run E15, my blend, 98 octane. the gallon of e-85 I add costs $1 less than the 93 I put in it.Every 4th tankfull I add Berryman B12 the best fuel injector cleaner I have found.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
All the gas here is 10% ethanol, no issues with the bike, Challenger or the Vette and they all sit for months in the garage during the winter. I usually start them all every couple of weeks but it takes most of the winter to burn the full tank(s) I put them to bed with. You guys make too much of an issue with the ethanol blends.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
If you actually drive your car enough to replenish the fuel tank reasonably often, I find it hard to believe the amount of water in ethanol containing gas would be enough to cause any problems. The fact the ethanol DOES allow any water present to be burned off, is a benefit in my book. Straight gasoline isn't miscible with water, so any water present would bead up and do more harm in my opinion.
The whole fuel stabilizer thing is nothing but a marketing ploy by those that sell it as far as I'm concerned. I leave my ride on lawn mower parked in the garage from October to May filled with gas in the tank and guess what? It starts right up after all of those months, no problem. I've been doing this for 6 years now with no fuel stabilizer added and it still runs like the day I bought it.
I have to think the EPA and all of the antipollution controls present on vehicles today are designed to run on ethanol containing fuel with no problem. I'd go with a 93 high octane gas containing ethanol any day, over a lower octane without. Now if you're talking about energy output of one vs. the other, then maybe that's a different story.
While I'm not a fan of fuel stabilizers, I do use and believe in fuel system cleaners.
All the gas here is 10% ethanol, no issues with the bike, Challenger or the Vette and they all sit for months in the garage during the winter. I usually start them all every couple of weeks but it takes most of the winter to burn the full tank(s) I put them to bed with. You guys make too much of an issue with the ethanol blends.
There is a difference between running "fine" or "no issues" and running optimal. I see that a lot in these forums where people will say that they have used 87 octane for the life of their car and everything is "fine".

If what Hal mentioned is true and someone did see reduced knock numbers from using Sta-bil, then I think that warrants some looking into as most of these cars have knock retard issues whether you notice it or not.

USponycar, if your car is still running like it was the day you bought it, after all those mods, then I would be worried lol. JK

Reactions: R/T-Randy

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Has anyone used the Sta-Bil product that removes the water from the gasoline that the ethanol cause. For some education. Ethanol bonds with the water in the atmosphere and overtime will corrode your fuel lines, tank
Ethanol does not cause water to form in your gasoline.Water forms in any petroleum product whether it be your cars gas tank, or a 100,000 barrel crude tank, or a gasoline storage tank. Sooneror later if you dont drain it , it will , if you're using pure gas rise to a level that will most likely be blamed on a bad tank of gas. Ethanol, methanol and many other solvents mix with water which is a good thing ,you will never have a bad tank of gas.If you were a dedicated hot rodder you would know that methanol water injection is often used to cool the intake charge and make more power. I personally wish they would repeal the ethanol mandate as it uses much acreage that would other wise be used for growing FOOD. Or havent you noticed the increase in grocery prices. Gasoline would cost more but would be offset by lowered food prices and the subsidy that is your tax dollar would disappear .

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ethanol does not cause water to form in your gasoline.Water forms in any petroleum product whether it be your cars gas tank, or a 100,000 barrel crude tank, or a gasoline storage tank. Sooneror later if you dont drain it , it will , if you're using pure gas rise to a level that will most likely be blamed on a bad tank of gas. Ethanol, methanol and many other solvents mix with water which is a good thing ,you will never have a bad tank of gas.

Even here in Iowa we still have a choice of with and without at most stations. I will typically chose without whenever possible, however I will run at least a couple tanks a year through all my vehicles for the sole purpose of picking up the moisture and running it through the system.

Living here, we've been running E10 since the very beginning.
In the beginning it got blamed for alot of stuff, primarily because if there was an existing weak spot in the fuel system, the ethanol would magnify it. Crud broke lose, weak lines made of the material that shouldn't have been there in a fuel system in the first place broke down and either clogged the system or started leaking. But overall we can't definitively say that we have any more fuel system problems than we ever had. Poorly maintained systems will still have the same issues they always had.
There are a very few issues that ethanol will cause in certain cases, but overall 99% of drivers would never know it was in the tank unless you told them.

In my opinion it's being rammed down our throats, and for that reason I will run non-ethanol, even if it cost me a few pennies extra at the pump. So far it's still a wash or slightly cheaper to run non-ethanol.

:popblood:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.