Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the Evap test the car performs is a vacuum or a pressure test? This is on a 2016 Scat Pack.Thanks Scott.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
It is a vacuum test, checking for the system to hold vacuum for a certain amount of time. It requires a number of conditions to met in order to run the test. The WiTech scan tool can run the test under the PCM Small leak verification test.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, is the vacuum put on it by the pump that is on the canister in the rear wheel well?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
That is not a pump, it is a charcoal cannister and an Evaporative System Integrity Monitor (ESIM). The ESIM closes to prevent vapor from escaping, and this also allows a vacuum to be created as the temperature drops when the car is parked. Also, the ESIM is closed when the purge solenoid is working to allow vapor from the cannister to be drawn into the engine and burned. The system monitors vacuum or pressure in the fuel tank and cannister using natural vacuum that is created by the temperature change noted above.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the explanation. I have a small leak in the Evap system and just want to know how it works before I dig into it. Thanks again for your time.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,324 Posts
When they test you need half a tank or more of fuel for the test, how ever if you got a code change the Gas Cap with an OEM one...

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,204 Posts
You're probably going to need to smoke test to find the leak.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I rebuilt the car this year I had all of the Evap system out from under the wheel well as well as the fuel filler neck. I am thinking I may have pinched an O ring putting it back in or something is not tight enough. I have not had time lately to look at it, hopefully this weekend. I just was curious how the system acutely worked before I started on it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,719 Posts

I was going to say that ^^^ :D

A Guy

Reactions: Reimer

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I had time to look at the Evap system in my car tonight and I think I found the problem. I took the canister out to inspect it and found a nice crack around the mounting bracket. I guess I was a little to eager to get the car back together that I did not look at it close enough before I put it back in. We had one from our parts car so I put that one in. I cleared all the codes and hope that takes care of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts