Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pretty much always had this issue, I just hadn't gotten around to doing anything about it. Often I have to mash the buttons on the key fob multiple times to get the car to respond, even standing right next to it. Sometimes it responds at the 1st touch, more often though, I'm mashing the key as I walk away from the car, it's a habit now. And both the fobs act the same way, so it's not a battery issue.

I was thinking about taking it to the dealer, but I dunno what they could do. Anyone had this issue?

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
I've pretty much always had this issue, I just hadn't gotten around to doing anything about it. Often I have to mash the buttons on the key fob multiple times to get the car to respond, even standing right next to it. Sometimes it responds at the 1st touch, more often though, I'm mashing the key as I walk away from the car, it's a habit now. And both the fobs act the same way, so it's not a battery issue.

I was thinking about taking it to the dealer, but I dunno what they could do. Anyone had this issue?
It's the batterys. Go to radio shack and get new ones.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is Dodge using recycled half dead batteries or something? Because the fob for my 2002 Prius still works perfectly with the original battery.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
It's not the batteries. Well, it could be I guess, but mine have done that for over 2 years and changing batteries never fixes it. Dodge even "flashed" them or something and they still do it.

It's completely random. Both keyfobs. They just act like they don't feel like working sometimes. It pisses me off. Probably the only complaint I've had with my car in 2+ years.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remind me never to post at 3 AM, because I forgot to mention, my mechanic who owns a Challenger along with his wife, noticed me mashing the button to open the car blurted out "Yours does that too!?". He said he had the dealer flash his, and actually replace the keyless remote system when that didn't work, and it still does it. I forgot to ask if his wifes acts like that.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Funny I should just spot this thread, my dealer just called me to set up an appointment to have the 2 new keys they ordered, programmed and install the new (Uncracked) rocker panels. They originally reflashed the car but all that did was change the evic message from "key fob not detected" on both keys to "Defective key" on the one I use for the spare! The service manager told me he wanted to go with two new keys because they've seen several cars with the same problem as mine and the keys were the cure.....I'll keep ya informed....goin in Monday 3-28-11

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I have the same issues with my key fobs. Sometimes just shaking the fob wakes it up. My dealer changed the battery at my last oil change and said it would probably not solve the problem of No Key Fob Detected. He explained that Dodge is aware of the problem and working on a fix.

·
Registered
864 Posts
The trunk button is the worst, sometimes I hit it 3,4 or 5 times before it works. It seems like it works better or worse coming from different directions though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mine was also acting up. I swapped with my wife (who never drives the car) and don't have the problem any more. Personally, though its cool to have keyless entry, remote start, and a push button to start the car, I always thought that with this car, they should have used "throw back" keys and locks, too. I do not know what the original Challengers had, but turning a key in a steering column mounted ignition is what I consider "classic". It would also eliminate these key fob issues. JMO.

·
Registered
352 Posts
interference from other signals is my guess. I notice, while at home, I can unlock it from the other side of the house when it's in the garage with three walls in the way; but at work, walking through the parking lot, the lights don't blink until I'm within 20 feet even though I've got a clear view. I've never had problems right next to the car though, so that sounds like an issue

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, happens when I'm right next to the car(and usually when I'm loaded down with groceries). Looking forward to hearing how it turns out for eecom

·
Registered
83 Posts
Having a similar issue with the 'Keyless Enter-n-Go' feature. With the key fob in my pocket right next to the door and my hand on the door handle it only works about 50% of the time.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Funny I should just spot this thread, my dealer just called me to set up an appointment to have the 2 new keys they ordered, programmed and install the new (Uncracked) rocker panels. They originally reflashed the car but all that did was change the evic message from "key fob not detected" on both keys to "Defective key" on the one I use for the spare! The service manager told me he wanted to go with two new keys because they've seen several cars with the same problem as mine and the keys were the cure.....I'll keep ya informed....goin in Monday 3-28-11
So did the new keys work?

·
Registered
194 Posts
So did the new keys work?
I'm hoping new keys worked as mine have had issues for a while now and two weeks ago the dealer finally ordered new keys for mine due to the 'defective key' readout on the evic.

Just called the dealer and parts have yet to be delivered but meanwhile I have to enter the challenger with the metal key and of course the alarm goes off then.

It too is the only complaint I have about this ride.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm hoping new keys worked as mine have had issues for a while now and two weeks ago the dealer finally ordered new keys for mine due to the 'defective key' readout on the evic.

Just called the dealer and parts have yet to be delivered but meanwhile I have to enter the challenger with the metal key and of course the alarm goes off then.

It too is the only complaint I have about this ride.

Ugggghhh....keys ordered 03/29...back ordered part and not expected to arrive until 04/25

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
I had sporadic problems with the key fob not working the first year I had my 2009 SRT. Since I brought my car in for a re-flash, there have been no problems.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Well, this thread isn't reassuring....I now see I'm not alone by far. Mine seems to be getting worse and worse. I must've mashed the remote start button 30 times, and no honk, no lights blink...nothing. When this has happened in the past...and it's happened a LOT, I locked and unlocked the doors and suddenly the car would detect the fob and start.

But not yesterday. Locked and unlocked the doors and still got the message when I tried to start it like 12 times. Got my spare fob and same thing. I guess I have 2 defective fobs?? I somehow doubt it. Between the "Fob Key Not Detected" , and the remote start not working 90% of the time, I'm getting real frustrated....I'll have to look at my paperwork...do they charge extra for the "remote start" and "keyless feature"?? I want my money back. This is ridiculous :(

·
Registered
441 Posts
One of mine stopped being recognized 3 months after ownership and the other doesn't work from more than 10ft away. I cant roll down my windows with the double unlock trick to save my life. Very finicky.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts