Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was driving my truck every morning to work at the same speeds I drive the Challenger (about 3 - 5 mph over limit) I would get "tailgated" constantly.......every day! Now that I'm driving the Blue Angel to work, I rarely have anybody on my tail ! They seem to back off and keep their distance. I love it but I wonder why? Are they just backing off to admire it? What are your thoughts?
:scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I was writing this I "knew" this would be one of the first responses.......little did I know it would be "the" first!

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I've also noticed that when you come up behind people, they move over more than usual.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly! Kind of fun in its' own way. I also get the Hot Rodders in Mustangs and Beemers that "calm down" all of a sudden and just let me cruise by without a fight.......very few wish to take me "on".

·
Registered
558 Posts
For me, something about the rear visibility makes it seem like everyone is tailgating me :notallthere:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I currently have a '07 Charger R/T (waiting for my '11 Challenger R/T at D1 order status). When I first got it and didn't have the Danko custom chin spoiler that's on it now, when I came up on cars in the left lane, they hurriedly got over. I think it was because it looked like an unmarked trooper. Funny thing is I don't see people do it as much once I added the chin spoiler.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I've also noticed that when you come up behind people, they move over more than usual.
Same here! The Challenger looks pretty intimidating from the front.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My car color almost matches the state patrol cars. I also have the DRLs turned on. The slow cars in the left lane move over into the right lane. Then I see people from oncoming vehicles check their speedometers before we pass each other. :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Just this afternoon I had a woman in a Jeep Liberty ride my ass like a pair of shorts for almost two miles. I was not traveling under the speed limit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I noticed that I don't get tailgated very much in the Challenger but it's an ongoing thing in my Escape.
It may have something to do with the perception that our cars are an extension of our personalities and the other drivers don't want to try bullying the sleeping giant.

It's fun to scare the tailgaters into backing off by carefully planning a short and sudden stop then watching them stand on the brakes while swerving to avoid a crash though.Wouldn't do that in the Challenger.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Tailgators are an odd bunch. My other vehicle is a '76 Chevy C10 pickup and it always amuses me the way I get tailgated, given how much that truck would shrug off a rear impact from a modern car. I've had a civic tear into the back of it before. Took a while to get its crushed front end out from under my bumper.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Mostly in Texas people move out of the left lane for Crown Vics and Black Dodge Charger R/Ts. Everything else is madness in the left lane and no car/truck gets any love.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wonder if they secretly fear the cost of any damages they may cause by driving too close? Perhaps it's fear of the unknown that causes them to keep their distance, but whatever the reason, it's a good thing!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've noticed the same thing, especially now that I have my DRLs turned on. Something about a menacing black car with angry orange eyes must encourage them to get out of the way.

·
Super Moderator
14,134 Posts
When I was driving my truck every morning to work at the same speeds I drive the Challenger (about 3 - 5 mph over limit) I would get "tailgated" constantly.......every day! Now that I'm driving the Blue Angel to work, I rarely have anybody on my tail ! They seem to back off and keep their distance. I love it but I wonder why? Are they just backing off to admire it? What are your thoughts?
:scratchhead:
That's been my experience except for immature owners of ricers and Stangs want to "run you."

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
For me, something about the rear visibility makes it seem like everyone is tailgating me :notallthere:
I tend to agree. I feel like I get tailgated a LOT in this car. I've made it a habit when I pull up to a stop sign/light that I leave a huge distance in front of me, so when the car comes up behind on my arse I can pull forward a bit.

As for people pulling over to let me pass, that is extremely common around my parts but I figured out they are using me as a cop magnet. Most of the time as soon as I pass someone, they pull in right behind me and pace my speed. If I pull into the right lane, they follow. I guess they figure as long as they stay behind the neon orange car, they won't be the one targeted. :icon_evil:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Exactly! Kind of fun in its' own way. I also get the Hot Rodders in Mustangs and Beemers that "calm down" all of a sudden and just let me cruise by without a fight.......very few wish to take me "on".
I see that all of the time too.
Hot rodders just pass me by. In my 5th gen Mustang was constantly heckled by racers.

My wife is bedevilled by this black 2010 Camaro SS all of the time.
Looks like he has the same commute.
She has a 2010 G37 Coupe. I have seen it too. This guy is like the two Japanese race car guys from the film "Better off Dead". Just annoying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts