·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
Done...........:5:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I love my Mopars, but bring on a 700hp or 800hp or 1000hp Mustang and Camaro too! I'm lovin' this modern muscle car war.

·
Premium Member
10,674 Posts
You beat me to it, someone will rain on that parade.
Unfortunately there will be some nasty wrecks from people trying to prove how manly they are while on the street and it will be just a brief memory.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Be careful what you ask for in regards to a horsepower war.
If it gets nasty, the government or the insurance companies will shut it down.
You beat me to it, someone will rain on that parade.
Unfortunately there will be some nasty wrecks from people trying to prove how manly they are while on the street and it will be just a brief memory.
I am going to have to say, I don't think so.

Even in the low $60K, the Hellcat is out of the young adult price range. The new GT500 is only about 40hp lower and you don't hear about those getting balled up all the time. Of course a few get wrecked, but there are thousands of low horsepower cars crashed every year. The 392 Challenger is plenty fast to get into trouble if you want and they are doing fine.

Even though Dodge is going to build all that are ordered, this will not be a high volume car. You will be lucky to see one of these cars in the wild.

The only thing that will stop these new high horsepower cars is fuel economy.

Or meddling Democrats.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Be careful what you ask for in regards to a horsepower war.
If it gets nasty, the government or the insurance companies will shut it down.

I believe CAFE standards coupled with the price of petrol will shut down the Muscle Car wars before the accidents...

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have to admit I have been surprised at the seeming indifference of the insurance companies to all of this. In the early-mid 70's insurance on my Roadrunner was all but prohibitive. I was essentially working to support a car.

The insurance industry came on line early and really helped kill the all of it along with the gas crunch.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
1,552 Posts
Not sure what point the poll makes. Many different answers can be for many different reasons.

Personally I'd like to see a focus on weight reduction from all three, although Tim Kuniskis implied they aren't even considering that. He's aware of the weight disadvantage, and the Hellcat was a "throw horsepower at the problem" approach. Which works but not without some concessions.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
well I like seeing the tech improvements in adding HP but I voted for the "don't care" option. got no skin in the game as far as HP wars are concerned. they are valuable only in that they keep folks employed and add some folks disposable income sales to the economy. beyond that it only feeds the bragging right needs of a few 1%'ers.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well I like seeing the tech improvements in adding HP but I voted for the "don't care" option. got no skin in the game as far as HP wars are concerned. they are valuable only in that they keep folks employed and add some folks disposable income sales to the economy. beyond that it only feeds the bragging right needs of a few 1%'ers.
Sounds like to me that you gave enough reasons to NOT vote "don't care".

Reactions: Bad daytona

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have to admit I have been surprised at the seeming indifference of the insurance companies to all of this. In the early-mid 70's insurance on my Roadrunner was all but prohibitive. I was essentially working to support a car.

The insurance industry came on line early and really helped kill the all of it along with the gas crunch.
The way I see it, it evens out for the insurance companies.
The younger population (statistically more prone to accidents) has more v6's because of their affordability.
The general population has a slightly above average payment for the R/T because its a muscle car, but they're generally old enough not to screw around that much.
And the hellcat is too expensive to mess around with. I'm positive at least 50% of them will be garage queens. After all, I dont plan on them going much higher from 707hp any time soon.

all in all I think it will even out and rates stay pretty close across the board for those reasons

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We are behind in the poll again...

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
I am going to have to say, I don't think so.

Even in the low $60K, the Hellcat is out of the young adult price range. The new GT500 is only about 40hp lower and you don't hear about those getting balled up all the time. Of course a few get wrecked, but there are thousands of low horsepower cars crashed every year. The 392 Challenger is plenty fast to get into trouble if you want and they are doing fine.

Even though Dodge is going to build all that are ordered, this will not be a high volume car. You will be lucky to see one of these cars in the wild.

The only thing that will stop these new high horsepower cars is fuel economy.

Or meddling Democrats. .,
I'm of the opinion that we will see a good number of Hellcats about. I know of numerous people who are ordering them......and these are not all current Challenger owners. One friend is selling/trading their Ram truck and they've already ordered a sublime Hellcat. I think theres going to be a higher volume of hellcats sold than you think. I expect to see a good number of them especially as we get through 2015-2016.

Oh and you can count on Democrats to meddle.....thats exactly who those A$$hole's are.......:huh:............ :5:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts