Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having a problem with the display for the EVIC. Segments of it are missing when first start up the car, esspecially in colder ambient temperatures. It gets better with several minutes of running. Sometimes adjusting the dimmer gets it to clear up. I have the cluster replaced just recently and this one is actually worse. Anyone have this problem, am I missing something?? Would hate to have to go back to the dealer for this. Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Noone has had a problem with this?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Months of reading these forums - never seen this one. I'd go back to whoever replaced the cluster & make 'em fix it, they obviously caused the problem. (?)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Months of reading these forums - never seen this one. I'd go back to whoever replaced the cluster & make 'em fix it, they obviously caused the problem. (?)
Ehh it's been doing it since I got the car. The weather has started to get warmer, I'd like to see what it does on a few 60+ degree days. I already let them know this unit is not operating correctly and that I may be back.

Oddly enough I have an extra feature in my enhanced EVIC, an ECO meter....A bar graph that shows load....No numbers so beats the hell out of me what its showing other than beeing at maximum or minimum load.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go back and get another cluster. Don't put up with it.
Yeah I understand, I just hate for them to rip up the dash again....I just want to make sure its not something to do with sitting in continual cold weather and not being active? I bought the car in late October so it was pretty crisp out, to say how much colder it got over night. I let the dealer know that this one was not working but I wanted to wait alittle bit before bringging it back as it's starting to get warm.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My car shows an eco meter as well in the evic? I just assumed it was normal.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yeah I understand, I just hate for them to rip up the dash again....I just want to make sure its not something to do with sitting in continual cold weather and not being active? I bought the car in late October so it was pretty crisp out, to say how much colder it got over night. I let the dealer know that this one was not working but I wanted to wait alittle bit before bringging it back as it's starting to get warm.
The fact is that it shouldn't be acting like this regardless. I would take it back.

As far s the ECO meter/menu, my 2010 R/T with EVIC has it as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah my car must've been an early 2010. I never saw that in there before...

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
I'd have the cluster replaced - a lot of these use surface mounted parts and the solder connections are going bad. That's a classic symptom of missing segments when cold that re-appear as the interior / cluster warms up (thermal expansion of parts) and the intermittent connections work again.

I had this happen with my other car - IP clusters aren't cheap to replace, might as well put that warranty coverage to work for you. On that car, the cluster alone is $1k, plus the required programming to get the odometer re-set, to give an idea how much $$ can be involved.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it was all down hill with that other sluster so I succummed and had them look at it again. They had to call Chrysler, they said pop another one in. Seems to be working just fine now. The Tech came to me sayng it was hard to believe that 2 would be bad. I said yeah but it's possible.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
This happened to me on my 06 Charger. Replaced twice. First one was fuel gauge erratic, second time was EVIC display had missing characters. From what they told me, the cluster manufacturer has a rotable supply of "repaired" clusters. You never get another brand new one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts