Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had an oil temp gauge before, what's considered "normal"?

Mine is running over 200°F on a 70°F day and it warms up fast.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You want the oil to run above 212° so any condensation boils out. Mine runs about that depending on outside temperature. I've seen it at 240° with 115° ambient--that's getting too high, so I'm adding the police oil cooler before I venture into the desert again.

·
Super Moderator
17,463 Posts
These engines run a stock 204*F t-stat, so the oil will range from the high 190s to about 225*F depending on driving conditions and ambient temps. The oil is cooling the internal engine parts, so it will run hotter than coolant since there isn't an external engine oil cooler on the 5.7 or 6.1 (the 6.4 has one now).

The SRT8 engines have piston oil cooling jets, so the oil may pick up some addtional heat since its directed to the underside of the pistons to dissapate heat from those components.

Your SRT has the functional hood scoops, so those assist in keeping engine bay temps down while in motion...I have them on my R/T and noticed an 7-11* temperature decrease across the range compared to before with the stock "block off" scoop inserts.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not quite apples to apples but on my 06 SRT8 300, the oil temp was normally about 20 degrees above the coolant temp. I haven't had my 11 R/T Classic long enough to see if its the same.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
2011 SRT8 Challenger 392,

In 60 degree weather in traffic I have seen 215 degrees engine and 235 oil temp. Seems high to me. But it has run this way since new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts