Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to lunch today, a box truck that was stopped at a red light all of a sudden pulled out in front of me. I'm guessing he thought the light turned green because the lady to his right made a right into the right lane. I was in the left lane and was looking at her to make sure she wasn't coming into my lane so I was a little delayed in noticing him. I hit the horn and and brakes as hard as I could. Anti-lock brakes kicked in but since the road was wet, I wasn't going to be able to stop in time. Luckily, he stopped about 3/4 way into my lane and I swerved hard and avoided him.

As soon as I went to hit the brakes to stop at the next light, I initially thought I had no brakes because the typical location where my muscle memory takes the pedal to stop didn't do anything. I had to push down at least another couple inches for them to kick in. I thought maybe the problem would correct itself but it hasn't.

The pedal isn't spongy. It's just takes a few more inches for travel to start slowing the car.

Any ideas what to look at to correct the problem? I haven't opened the hood yet to check on it because it's raining.

One thing's for sure. I'm getting a camera for my car now. Too many stupid drivers doing stupid things. I don't drive the Challenger on weekends because stupid drivers seem to multiply be 100 on Saturday and Sunday for some reason.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The problem appears to be resolved now.

I initially tried pumping the brakes hard several times with the car running but that didn't do anything.

With the Challenger not running, I pumped the brake hard a several times and eventually, it came back up to the proper level. Initially, the pedal would go almost to the floor.

I just took if for a drive around the neighborhood and everything is good now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts